Easy Peak....But we will pay for it

Coldworld

60 months and counting
LOL..........well....I've known the guy 17 out of my 20 years so It wasn't #56387-B shaking the DM's hand. Plus, it was Xmas eve, so what exactly would you have said ??

Maybe in that stocking tomorrow morning, underneath all that coal, you might find some Mentos. LOL ;) Merry Xmas
mentos.jpg
Just messing with you...these guys are the ones who put up the walls between mgt and labor with all of their micromanagement and excessive production and they wonder why WE are the ones with the bad attitude..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I will probably wind up bringing as many missed stops back in mid-January as I did in mid-December. Peak season is in many ways less challenging to deal with than the forced stupidity of stops per car.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Maybe whoever replaces Hoffa will actually bring back 9.5 and keep the company from backtracking....although this new contract does have some better language on overtime..if you have been there over 4 years..lol

brostalss

Last year the e-commerce kicked a sleeping dog. It was a huge wake up call that volume will increase during peak every year than they can predict.

Not once did I hear Management say "based on last year's model" we started with a clean sheet of paper and drew up new plans for peak. We did it. It may have been ugly at time but could have been ALOT worse. There still some work to do.

Our Center shattered all records beyond what they imagined. Some tweaking in Peak Planning could make next year work even smoother.

Bottom Line: No bad press this year. Sad part is we won't get good press this year.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Last year the e-commerce kicked a sleeping dog. It was a huge wake up call that volume will increase during peak every year than they can predict.

Not once did I hear Management say "based on last year's model" we started with a clean sheet of paper and drew up new plans for peak. We did it. It may have been ugly at time but could have been ALOT worse. There still some work to do.

Our Center shattered all records beyond what they imagined. Some tweaking in Peak Planning could make next year work even smoother.

Bottom Line: No bad press this year. Sad part is we won't get good press this year.
It use to be that businesses demanded on time pickup and delivery...and the residential customers were more easy going on when things would come and if they needed something bad enough they would just drive themselves to the damn store...flash forward to now; our business customers seem to be more "understanding" if we screw up a delivery as long as there is tracking to figure out what happen..and the residential customers are the ones who are salivating like a rabid dog when we pull up and have a heart attack if a package doesn't show up.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
LOL..........well....I've known the guy 17 out of my 20 years so It wasn't #56387-B shaking the DM's hand. Plus, it was Xmas eve, so what exactly would you have said ??

Maybe in that stocking tomorrow morning, underneath all that coal, you might find some Mentos. LOL ;) Merry Xmas
mentos.jpg
Merry Christmas brother!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I say they LOST MONEY I mean that they didn't make as much as they could have by sticking to their usual way of doing things during peaks. Sending us out in fully loaded trucks and using the least amount of routes as possible.

Keep in mind that the money they saved on fuel and the relatively mild weather which resulted in fewer operational delays across the country should more than offset any money that they may have lost.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It use to be that businesses demanded on time pickup and delivery...and the residential customers were more easy going on when things would come and if they needed something bad enough they would just drive themselves to the damn store...flash forward to now; our business customers seem to be more "understanding" if we screw up a delivery as long as there is tracking to figure out what happen..and the residential customers are the ones who are salivating like a rabid dog when we pull up and have a heart attack if a package doesn't show up.

Last year I had an add/cut for our former air force base. I had a case of diapers for a young mother who was standing by the door when I pulled up. After I greeted her she said she was glad to see me as she was down to her last 2 diapers. I wanted so badly to remind her that our local stores also sell diapers but I refrained.

Overpaid Union Thug

Keep in mind that the money they saved on fuel and the relatively mild weather which resulted in fewer operational delays across the country should more than offset any money that they may have lost.
I seriously doubt we saved money on gas. Every building used additional cars and additional rentals compared to last year. That many more vehicles equates to more fuel consumption. Plus additional rental fees. Plus, additional inside seasonal help and additional helpers. That plus all the money UPS spent on additional operational capacity and parking lots would dwarf any savings on gas.

Yep.....we will pay for it with even less family time. The over 9.5 penalties will just be a drop in the bucket. There are simply too many greedy and/or gutless drivers for the 9.5 list to be affective.

oldngray

nowhere special
After peak it will be back to the usual games and stops per car metrics even though there will be less stop density. And the return of nitpicking every little detail.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
They gave me friday off cause my route was dissolved. But oldngray is right , they will get that supposedly billion they spent on this peak back somehow on the backs of the driver, wait and see.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I seriously doubt we saved money on gas. Every building used additional cars and additional rentals compared to last year. That many more vehicles equates to more fuel consumption. Plus additional rental fees. Plus, additional inside seasonal help and additional helpers. That plus all the money UPS spent on additional operational capacity and parking lots would dwarf any savings on gas.

Yep.....we will pay for it with even less family time. The over 9.5 penalties will just be a drop in the bucket. There are simply too many greedy and/or gutless drivers for the 9.5 list to be affective.
yup,,you got it all figured out ..gloom..doom and misery. We should all quit or kill ourselves asap

ManInBrown

I hope we do pay for it

I like my OT:biggrin:

Peak was so easy it was scary. A few bad days but nothing that wasn't manageable. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never did.

Did same split route this year as last. Same car. Last year blown out daily. 320+ stops. 500+ pieces. Bricked 10 cube.

This year had multiple days with a clear aisle I could have done somersaults down. Heaviest day was 245 stops. Around 395 pieces.

Still trying to wrap my head around if it's the USPS had our work? Or was it just more routes were in? Glad it's over. But it sure was Easy Peezy:biggrin:

O

OLDMAN3

Not every building put on additional cars and rentals. We ran the same amount as last peak, with added volume (Large metro bldg). We rolled stops pretty much every day. Drivers pushed the 60 hr rule, and many pushed the 14 hour rule. 20+ years ago peaks were much smoother. Most drivers just have not been around long enough to know how peaks used to run. I worked many peaks with no days during peak over 10 hours.

Overpaid Union Thug

I hope we do pay for it

I like my OT:biggrin:

Peak was so easy it was scary. A few bad days but nothing that wasn't manageable. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never did.

Did same split route this year as last. Same car. Last year blown out daily. 320+ stops. 500+ pieces. Bricked 10 cube.

This year had multiple days with a clear aisle I could have done somersaults down. Heaviest day was 245 stops. Around 395 pieces.

Still trying to wrap my head around if it's the USPS had our work? Or was it just more routes were in? Glad it's over. But it sure was Easy Peezy:biggrin:

We were told that volume was up from last year but IE over forecasted us. Volume just looked down because of all the extra routes freeing up some space in the trucks. But if we didn't have to give so much damn work to the USPS via SurePost things would have been different.
Not every building put on additional cars and rentals. We ran the same amount as last peak, with added volume (Large metro bldg). We rolled stops pretty much every day. Drivers pushed the 60 hr rule, and many pushed the 14 hour rule. 20+ years ago peaks were much smoother. Most drivers just have not been around long enough to know how peaks used to run. I worked many peaks with no days during peak over 10 hours.

Sounds like the head honcho in your area decided not to play along. I can assure you that he/she/they will pay for it on a rather heated and demeaning conference call. If it hasn't happened already. But as long as the rolled stops don't make national headlines the reaming might just be limited to verbal instead of anal.

watdaflock?

I was walking out of the building today and saw one of the big Big honchos.
I wished him Merry Christmas and he returned the pleasantry.
He then thanked me and said "You guys rocked it this peak" and commented on our high output, low injuries, and great service.
I told him "Thank you, but YOU guys putting in that plan made this work out. It was a team effort"
He was happy to hear that. :asskissf:LOL
image.png