EFCA Why you should be worried

SuperSup

And what problems do you have with the weekend? Holiday pay? Overtime pay? Medical benefits? Pensions?

You dont have a problem with any of those issues because the unions have already gained you as a non union employee those rights. Your reaping the benefits of unionism without being in a union!

I have no problem with a secret ballot! I have a problem with the company having 90 days t intimidate you before the secret ballot takes place!

You're business agent just called me; he said in the next contract, the company has to supply knee pads to 705red to assist in his "Union Duties".

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I'd like to make one last point, in today's global economy, being able to make fast decisions/actions to achieve market place superiority are critical in growth and survival. Organizations unduly hindered by bureaucratic red tape incurred by both unionization and government intervention are impediments to success of the company and its employees. Don't take this out of context as I understand that some regulations and union activities protect society and employees from corporate indiscretions. My point is that when these "interventions" do not have any "social/employee" benefit, they are only hindrences.

I hate that term, the "global economy". It is almost used to imply that a global economy was invented in the last 20 years or so. The global economy is nothing new. Heck, Columbus looking for a faster trade route to India, in yesterdays "global economy", is how the New World had it's birth in the first place. What is new to the U.S. is while in the past, to paraphrase the famous sign over the Delaware river in Trenton, "America makes, the world takes", now the world makes and we take.

And how did that happen? It happened because foreign nations capitilized on America's willingness to trade with nations who do not impose the same safety, environmental, and wage standards we have here in the U.S. Add to that the currency and tax manipulations these foreign countries use to circumvent our "free" trade agreements with them, and you have the condition we find our nation in today.

The only way to compete with third world countries is to turn back the clock on all of the progress the American labor movement has made. Are we Americans willing to do that?

And let's not forget, most of these nations are now growing in wealth not from exclusively improving their own citizens lot in life, but by selling to those who already have comparative wealth, Americans. But as our wealth diminishes as most of our factories move overseas, it most be the hope of these foreign governments that their own citizens will finally possess the wealth to buy the wares they produce because we no longer will be able to.

The ironic part of all of this is that it takes a strong working class to be able to create a nation of consumers that we find essential for the health of the modern capitalist system that we have created. And what force helped create this strong working class in America? Unionism.

It surely wasn't the 19th century robber baron model. If you want to see how that works just look towards Mexico. No wonder the average working class Mexican is so desperate to immigrate to here.

I see a potential problem with harassment with the check card, coming from both sides actually. If the company knows who wants the union they know who to intimidate for those 90 days. But the union knows who didn't, making them possible targets for union intimidation.

Gotta be honest, I have always thought that any vote should be by secret ballot. How ever I thin a 90 day wait is excessive.

brett636

The argument I was trying to make is that FedEx is already cutting wages and pensions, UPS will need to find some level of parity to compete. The best way to keep our middle-class lifestyles is to bring FedEx wages up close to ours. I know they can't be organized in the old way, one department at a time. It has to be all or none, top to bottom. That is almost impossible under the current labor laws where elections are a farce. With the EFCA, we would have a better chance. If we don't bring their wages up and we continue to get raises, we will price ourselves out of the market. If we can't help our FedEx brothers and sisters, then our high wages and benefits will become an albatross around our company's neck.
And.... I don't think organizing small businesses is bad thing either. We have small businesses in our local that make $12-14 an hour and the companies are successful. But what the union brings in is a contract, a grievance procedure, seniority, etc,. Those are benefits the company can afford. Unionization is not a death nell. It's time for American workers to stand up. Canada has card check and is 35% unionized. Collective bargaining is not a bad thing.
George

Ah yes, Canada, now there is an economic powerhouse we all look up to! :wink2:

I don't have a problem with larger companies being union because more often then not as businesses grow they start to lose focus on the people who brought them there and a union can ensure that those people are not forgotten. Small businesses on the other hand need every advantage they can get. Small businesses generally focus better on both the business and the people working it so that both benefit from growth. The easier it is for small businesses to become unionized means fewer jobs for this country, few packages for UPS, and a hobbling of our economic system. Remember a majority of the new jobs in this country are created by small businesses just as a majority of the people employed in this country are employed by small businesses. The one area the EFCA would be most effective at is the one area of our economy that we benefit the most from. Lets not shoot ourselves in the foot supporting this kind of garbage. Its comforting to know this bill has little to no chance of passing.

mrvngrdns

I hate that term, the "global economy". It is almost used to imply that a global economy was invented in the last 20 years or so. The global economy is nothing new. Heck, Columbus looking for a faster trade route to India, in yesterdays "global economy", is how the New World had it's birth in the first place. What is new to the U.S. is while in the past, to paraphrase the famous sign over the Delaware river in Trenton, "America makes, the world takes", now the world makes and we take.

And how did that happen? It happened because foreign nations capitilized on America's willingness to trade with nations who do not impose the same safety, environmental, and wage standards we have here in the U.S. Add to that the currency and tax manipulations these foreign countries use to circumvent our "free" trade agreements with them, and you have the condition we find our nation in today.

The only way to compete with third world countries is to turn back the clock on all of the progress the American labor movement has made. Are we Americans willing to do that?

And let's not forget, most of these nations are now growing in wealth not from exclusively improving their own citizens lot in life, but by selling to those who already have comparative wealth, Americans. But as our wealth diminishes as most of our factories move overseas, it most be the hope of these foreign governments that their own citizens will finally possess the wealth to buy the wares they produce because we no longer will be able to.

The ironic part of all of this is that it takes a strong working class to be able to create a nation of consumers that we find essential for the health of the modern capitalist system that we have created. And what force helped create this strong working class in America? Unionism.

It surely wasn't the 19th century robber baron model. If you want to see how that works just look towards Mexico. No wonder the average working class Mexican is so desperate to immigrate to here.

Amen!

One of the best posts I've read on here.

Thanks for an excellent commentary, and I agree with 100% of it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You're business agent just called me; he said in the next contract, the company has to supply knee pads to 705red to assist in his "Union Duties".
Now why would a business agent call you? Were you giving him advice on which pimple cream to purchase? When you get done wetting your bed at night I'm up north at the palatine building! There's a nice watering hole across the street called Duffy's. Pm me and i could always meet you for a beverage!

S

speeddemon

You think the economy is bad now, let card check pass and give it a few years. Our nation will eventually go into default.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You think the economy is bad now, let card check pass and give it a few years. Our nation will eventually go into default.
How? Because the earnings of a company would be divided more equally within a company instead of the top brass getting richer and richer when the working men and women get poorer and poorer.

EFCA will balance the playing fields within all companies! Companies that do not even attempt to unionize will have to prepare and start treating employees with more respect, dignity and better financial packages.

The people that would be benefited the most from its passing are the lower and middle class! These same people are the ones that are scared to spend any extra money and are only buying the bare necessities to make it from one day to the next.

There is nothing the matter with allowing these people to share the wealth of their companies and at the same time which would help to start people spending again.

All of us on here are either union or management and we all have seen the benefits of belonging to a union. The good and the bad and the good is the reason we continue to belong to the teamsters. We all know someone that has been wronged by our company and have seen the union right this wrong.

So whats the matter with allowing others to have the same protection that we are privy to everyday at work?

If you have never been on an organizing drive you have no idea on the extents a company will go to. If an employee wants to unionize under its current bill there's a great chance that employee will not be around to vote at the secret ballot 90 days after they have signed their cards.

I have seen it! Ive also seen the companies hire goons to harass us as we are organizing the employees. We as volunteer organizers go through the same bs that the employees do when they want what we have.

The majority of employees that sign a card want to belong to the union. Yes some change their minds over the next 3 months, but mostly they change their minds because of the harassment they have received by their employer.

Everyone union employee here at some point will collect a pension. If we do not continue to organize and get more people contributing to that pension eventually the pension will run out of money.

If your comfortable enough that you probably could live without your pension that's not to big of a deal. But that is your money and without new members we will all be left out in the cold.

DO not ever complain about the unions being weak, or the funds being near 0 if you yourself have not tried to better the union.

Our future is in our hands! Time to step up and help or forever bite your tongue.

bones

While UPS would probably benifit from card check (we are union our biggest competitor is not) which would benifit most if not all of us I would not support anything in a democracy that was not a secret ballot, if people feel the companies have the upper hand there are different laws that could be changed or written, taking away secret ballot takes away democracy and true freedom of choice, a dangerous road to go down.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Bones how are your locals bylawy changes voted on? Secret ballot and a verbal ya or na?

We do ours with a verbal vote by all the members in attendance at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

brett636

Bones how are your locals bylawy changes voted on? Secret ballot and a verbal ya or na?

We do ours with a verbal vote by all the members in attendance at that time.

Voting on a change of bylaws is much different than voting in a union to a previously non-union environment. This is a very drastic change with strong interests on both ends, both of which could be corrupted enough to take action towards those they feel they can manipulate the most. I am not saying that some manipulation doesn't take place already, but that can be multiplied times 10 in doing away with the secret ballot.

I remember on election day last year I believe it was Pennsylvania there were some black Panther members standing outside a polling place trying to look as intimidating as possible. Do you really think the more meek in our society would vote there if they had to publicly announce who they voted for? A secret ballot helps protect those who are voting to make the change from having to deal with the wrath of either side as neither knows what he or she voted for. Only the end result will be known, and nothing else.

QKRSTKR

I am a volunteer organizer for local 705 and as it sits now its almost impossible to organize. You must have 30% of the employees sign a card. Here we will not even go to the nlrb without 60% of cards. The nlrb notifies the company and a secret ballot takes place 90 days after. Well now the company has 90 days to fire! Threaten employees! Threaten to close its doors! Brow beat, kiss ass, etc.

But the unions are the crocked ones! Bs! Companies have already spent including ups over 100 million trying to defeat this bill! People are being laid off across this country, millionaires are being bailed out with our tax dollars and companies have 100 million dollars to throw at this?!

Your a fool especially if your a ups union employee if you do not call your senators and encourage them to vote on behalf of this bill!

That's right on Red!

I hate it when people act like the unions are the crooked ones and the companies are the goody 2 shoes. People against the card check act like the companies don't threaten employees. They do, and that's why they fail to become union.

Look at stinken AIG. That's big on the news today, 170 million dollars going to top EXECS. in bonuses. not the little guy. And WHY! Cause the company has to cause it's in the EXECS CONTRACT's. Abosoulutly freakin amazing. Millions and millions for running a company in the ground. They all should be out on the street or in jail.