End car and home ownership?

Box Ox

Housing shortage is due to NIMBYs and elitist zoning who block any multiple family households from being built. I’m not talking 30 story towers but even things like single story duplexes
How long has the NIMBY and elitist zoning blocking multiple family family households from being built stuff been going on? Have we had a housing shortage the whole time?
They’re the reason a 2 bed 1 1/2 bath 1200 square ft ranch house with a galley kitchen costs $1,300,000 in the Bay Area.

I thought we're talking about the nationwide housing shortage. Not about why real estate is expensive in San Francisco.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My Dad lives just outside the Villages. It's actually a great lifestyle with everything you need there. Heaven for golfers.
Too many eyes on everything you do for my liking. The last thing I need is someone questioning why I'm blowing up my St Augustine lawn. Anyway, I'm more of a east coast kind of guy.

newolddude

I thought we're talking about the nationwide housing shortage. Not about why real estate is expensive in San Francisco.
The national housing shortage is due to single housing zoning restrictions.

A wealthy suburb by me with 3500 sq ft 4+ bedroom big houses on 1 acres lots has an issue as all the boomers in it have their kids gone and dont need that much house. A developer came in to build townhomes on the thought the boomers would transition to those. We’re talking nice townhomes on decent lots and high prices.

Canceled due to zoning.

vantexan

Too many eyes on everything you do for my liking. The last thing I need is someone questioning why I'm blowing up my St Augustine lawn. Anyway, I'm more of a east coast kind of guy.
Heck half the east coast lives in the Villages. Just about zero crime, tons of entertainment, can drive a golf cart all the time if you want. But it has gotten expensive so I'll never live there. But definitely enjoyed all the amenities from my Dad's.

newolddude

HOAs are evil.

The HOA in my mother’s neighborhood wrote her a warning for the Christmas wreath on her door because it had tiny little LED bulbs.

newolddude

Then why has the housing shortage only become an acute problem recently? Zoning restrictions have been around for a long time.
Population growth is outpacing construction. Plus as America gets older and household sizes decline people don’t need 3000sq ft (or more) of living space.

Wally

Heck half the east coast lives in the Villages. Just about zero crime, tons of entertainment, can drive a golf cart all the time if you want. But it has gotten expensive so I'll never live there. But definitely enjoyed all the amenities from my Dad's.
By east, I meant the Space or Treasure coast.

Box Ox

why has the housing shortage only become an acute problem recently? Zoning restrictions have been around for a long time.
Population growth is outpacing construction. Plus as America gets older and household sizes decline people don’t need 3000sq ft (or more) of living space.
That all started within the last year or two and is thanks to zoning restrictions?
No. The issue has been growing for years.

The housing shortage has been a thing for years and we've just been hearing about it over the last year or two? Was the housing shortage, say, 80% of what it is now 5 years ago and it's finally reached a point at which alarm bells are going off all of the sudden?

vantexan

By east, I meant the Space or Treasure coast.
Oh, was thinking Jersey. I used to grouse as a teenager that when my great grandparents moved to Florida in 1921 they moved to the woods in the middle of the state instead to the coast. Never dreamed we'd have all the amenities come to us. Problem is we now have big city traffic.

Wally

Oh, was thinking Jersey. I used to grouse as a teenager that when my great grandparents moved to Florida in 1921 they moved to the woods in the middle of the state instead to the coast. Never dreamed we'd have all the amenities come to us. Problem is we now have big city traffic.
I can't imagine hot Florida was pre air conditioning?