outtatime

Extra time?
Some managers (depends on the SM) will tell you how many extra "P1 minutes" you have based on when the plane arrived. Say there was a 13 min delay, you have until 10:43 to deliver all the P1's so they won't show up on the station's late report. Some managers won't come right out and tell you before you leave as to how many "extra minutes" you have. Some will get sly and simply send a PP message at 10:30 saying to send all late counts after such-and-such time, which is the "extra" time basically.

They want to play games, no problem. After 10:30 it's game on and here come the P2's, regardless of how many P1's are left. One minute late is the same as 3 hours late. Just because you can't get planes in on time after doing it for over 30 years doesn't mean I'm staying out all day.

Oldfart

Some managers (depends on the SM) will tell you how many extra "P1 minutes" you have based on when the plane arrived. Say there was a 13 min delay, you have until 10:43 to deliver all the P1's so they won't show up on the station's late report. Some managers won't come right out and tell you before you leave as to how many "extra minutes" you have. Some will get sly and simply send a PP message at 10:30 saying to send all late counts after such-and-such time, which is the "extra" time basically.

They want to play games, no problem. After 10:30 it's game on and here come the P2's, regardless of how many P1's are left. One minute late is the same as 3 hours late. Just because you can't get planes in on time after doing it for over 30 years doesn't mean I'm staying out all day.
We are just told that 1030 is the last on time del no matter when the sort went down or when we left the bldg. Never have been told about extra time. Guess we are missing out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We are just told that 1030 is the last on time del no matter when the sort went down or when we left the bldg. Never have been told about extra time. Guess we are missing out.

WUT? Every manager knows when Memphis gives them "extra time", and I'm surprised you are so clueless (not really). What sucks is when they have been allotted extra time and they don't tell you, so you don't straightline your route.

This is typical. Misleading or lying to employees is SOP.

Oldfart

WUT? Every manager knows when Memphis gives them "extra time", and I'm surprised you are so clueless (not really). What sucks is when they have been allotted extra time and they don't tell you, so you don't straightline your route.

This is typical. Misleading or lying to employees is SOP.
I just del packages, I dont set or make policy. If they dont tell me we have extra time, nothing I can do about it.

vantexan

The pkgs delivered after 1030 are still late, but if delivered within the "extra time" that's applicable when you have late freight it doesn't count against the station. Some mgrs want you to hump like crazy to get you off the clock sooner so they won't say you've got an extra 20 minutes or whatever. Comes down to manager integrity or lack thereof.

Oldfart

The pkgs delivered after 1030 are still late, but if delivered within the "extra time" that's applicable when you have late freight it doesn't count against the station. Some mgrs want you to hump like crazy to get you off the clock sooner so they won't say you've got an extra 20 minutes or whatever. Comes down to manager integrity or lack thereof.

Never been told about extra time. I guess they dont share that detail with us. Late freight is the norm and we usually get an ad hoc but we just go about our business as if we got our freight on time. Usually they will shuttle us out freight that comes from the ramp after we leave the building but sometimes we kick back and wait on it. Gives me time to keep my truck looking nice and clean.

Last edited:

dezguy

So a machine part needed to get a factory running is no more important than delivering a Dell laptop to a resi that isn't home or a new Directv remote to a resi? I guess using common sense is not a strong point of yours. Kinda figures.
Both customers paid for guaranteed delivery, who am I to decide which is more deserving?

rickyb

As an employee with over thirty years service and close to retirement, a cautionary word to all who entertain the thought of working for FedEx Express. This company has changed from compassion to callousness. And does not resemble in any fashion the Federal Express by which I was hired. 1996 was the turning point. No longer are you a person with human limits. You will become a hostage who will be required to solve all problems of overwhelmed sort facilities, division in-fighting and miscommunication, lack of equipment, improper vehicles for the terrain you service, management abuse and favoritism. These will all land in your lap. And you will be held accountable for solving all these problems for the customer. And if you don't? It will be your fault for not doing so. We've all read the headlines over the past three years? Terrible service? Packages taking several days to arrive to the recipient? Packages going undelivered on their commit day? It will be your duty and yours alone to rectify this.
In years past there was a true pride working for Federal Express. Getting a Federal Express delivery was something special and reserved for important shipments. Over the years with FedEx always playing catch-up to U.P.S., this has changed. It started with L.L.Bean. Now? Breakfast cereal, diapers, dog food, office furniture, mattresses and trampolines via Amazon to those who choose to point and click instead of leaving their home. It will get worse not better, until robot technology renders you obsolete.
And if you incur and injury while working long hours in sometimes dangerous weather and working conditions? Nine times out of ten it will be judged, yes...judged, your fault and it will count against you. Rarely, very rarely FedEx will assume responsibility for the injuries sustained while performing your work duties.
If you absolutely must work for FedEx Express? Here is a tip. Stay part-time and go to school on the tuition reimbursement programs. Stay part-time and find another job to supplement your income. Do not. I repeat do not accept any full time courier positions. You will regret it. You will lose precious time with your wife, children and family. You will be stressed out and over worked, your body and spirit broken. Say goodbye to holiday family functions, school plays and spur-of-the-moment gatherings.
Still determined? I submit the U.S. Military, law enforcement or firefighting is a better choice. Or U.P.S. The hours are all the same, but the future, retirement and your self esteem will be much, much better.

Good luck and God Bless.
the sooner people realize the economy is highly centralized (like communism) the sooner you can change it so power is more evenly distributed.

Maui

Sometimes managers are told they can NOT provide that information. I honestly have no good reason why.

McFeely

Huge Member
Sometimes managers are told they can NOT provide that information. I honestly have no good reason why.

Our last SM said the same thing, that he was not supposed to tell us. If I know we leave late and have no idea how much extra time the station has, you bet I'm straightlining at 10:31.

You guys still forced to get any stop with more than 5 pieces off by 10:30 though? That's what they try here, it's impossible for the guy with 20 bulk P1 stops.

Oldfart

Very ironic subject for today. We got fogged in and ramp is still closed. We got in some good games of ping pong waiting on freight. Good game for an old fart like me. Foot speed not needed.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
So a machine part needed to get a factory running is no more important than delivering a Dell laptop to a resi that isn't home or a new Directv remote to a resi? I guess using common sense is not a strong point of yours. Kinda figures.
Uh, that late package to the factory becomes Fred's problem once the planes are late and habitually late at that. Getting planes launched on time I guess is a lost art these days.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Uh, that late package to the factory becomes Fred's problem once the planes are late and habitually late at that. Getting planes launched on time I guess is a lost art these days.
Maybe because they're cutting hours, possibly effecting Operations. Or maybe because cutting hours and guarantees of handlers is causing them to jump ship, also effecting Operations?? Management told CSAs and handlers at my station that the reason for the hours cut is a $44 million short fall. Here's a thought.... cut out executive bonuses and short fall disappears. Voila!!

Nobody is buying the BS anymore.

Oldfart

Can't come up with an intelligent response so you go for the personal attack? @dezguy is right, who are we to decide who is more deserving. We have no way of knowing what is in a resi package.
Really? The yellow envelope with the words DIRECTV on it give me a pretty good idea it is a new remote. The brown box with Advocare kinda tells me it is vitamins. The small boxes from verizon usually tells me it is a cell phone. It's not always possible to know but if you can read, you can figure it out many time.

In any case, my business deliveries will come first. Like in the old days when we would bulk out a Falcon. Document bags ALWAYS go on board. If you could find any multi piece shipments, you would try to let half fly and hold the other half. Better to get some of the freight than none. Common sense and time management is 90% of this job. Might explain why some have so much trouble doing it.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Really? The yellow envelope with the words DIRECTV on it give me a pretty good idea it is a new remote. The brown box with Advocare kinda tells me it is vitamins. The small boxes from verizon usually tells me it is a cell phone. It's not always possible to know but if you can read, you can figure it out many time.

In any case, my business deliveries will come first. Like in the old days when we would bulk out a Falcon. Document bags ALWAYS go on board. If you could find any multi piece shipments, you would try to let half fly and hold the other half. Better to get some of the freight than none. Common sense and time management is 90% of this job. Might explain why some have so much trouble doing it.
Or you are more likely milking the clock by doing your business and resi P1's separately.