Oldfart

Or you are more likely milking the clock by doing your business and resi P1's separately.
Not hardly. Just doing it like my station has been told to do it. More hrs than we want some days available here. Just trying to do the right thing. Guess some on here are so mistrusting they believe everyone has a motive for everything they do. You can't go thru life mistrusting everyone. Well, Some of you can. Must suck not trusting and hating everyone with authority.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Not hardly. Just doing it like my station has been told to do it. More hrs than we want some days available here. Just trying to do the right thing. Guess some on here are so mistrusting they believe everyone has a motive for everything they do. You can't go thru life mistrusting everyone. Well, Some of you can. Must suck not trusting and hating everyone with authority.
This company blew it when it comes to trust many years ago. It's not 1985 anymore.

Wake up!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I am a trusting person to a fault, until given a reason NOT to trust. So you're saying that I should trust FedEx when they say that our company is hurting for money, yet the corporate jets keep flying (UPS execs fly commercial). Or the execs are still getting nice bonuses while cutting hours and benefits for hourlies? Or one exec is getting a bonus for the DRA program even though everyone at the station level admits it's a joke? Or FedEx is spending BILLIONS on TNT and telling us we're hurting for money? I could go on and on, but you get the picture (I hope, but doubt).

vantexan

Very ironic subject for today. We got fogged in and ramp is still closed. We got in some good games of ping pong waiting on freight. Good game for an old fart like me. Foot speed not needed.
Big difference between extra time and a service disruption. If disrupted do you still try to deliver to businesses first or do you straight line all freight?

dezguy

Like I said. Common sense isnt your strong point
Nice attempt at a jab. I'm not paid to use common sense. In the real world, I believe my common sense is on par, perhaps slightly above average with the rest of the population.

But again I ask you, who are you or I to decide what package deserves to make service or not? Especially when packages going to a residence, pay more.

Last edited:

dezguy

Really? The yellow envelope with the words DIRECTV on it give me a pretty good idea it is a new remote. The brown box with Advocare kinda tells me it is vitamins. The small boxes from verizon usually tells me it is a cell phone. It's not always possible to know but if you can read, you can figure it out many time.

In any case, my business deliveries will come first. Like in the old days when we would bulk out a Falcon. Document bags ALWAYS go on board. If you could find any multi piece shipments, you would try to let half fly and hold the other half. Better to get some of the freight than none. Common sense and time management is 90% of this job. Might explain why some have so much trouble doing it.
That's the difference between you and me.

You assume you know exactly what you're delivering. You assume all residents Del's are none important and all business Del's are dire need deliveries.

I don't make assumptions and run my route as planned. Besides, when we have late freight, I leave stops behind, according to my route plan, that way they do get delivered on time, rather than try to be a hero and have lates.

Oldfart

Nice attempt at a jab. I'm not paid to use common sense. In the real world, I believe my common sense is on par, perhaps slightly above average with the rest of the population.

But again I ask you, who are you or I to decide what package deserves to make service or not? Especially when packages going to a residence, pay more.
That is where common sense comes into the equation. If I have 2 deliveries left and only 1 will be on time and they are side by side. 1 is a Directv remote control going to a resi and the other is payroll that I know XYZ Manufacturing gets every week, I am gonna del the payroll and worry about the Directv delivery after 1030. You do realize that many large shippers get a huge discount and wave all refunds for late deliveries don't you. OF COURSE you do, you know everything. Directv might not be able to request a refund for their late delivery on the all so important remote control delivery but the XYZ shipper might be able to request a refund on their late paychecks. The resi person is usually just glad to get the new remote, even if it was delivered at 1040. The employees at XYZ are not as forgiving if their paycheck is late, even by 10 minutes.

By the way, common sense is a HUGE part of being a courier. A good courier has to use common sense every day and on many different transactions. Since you admitted you do not use common sense, you must be average at best at your job.

Oldfart

You must be in a fairly condensed area. With a service disruption I straight lined rather than bypassing rurals on the way to my towns.
I deliver 1 zip code and part of another. Haven't delivered an extended area or multiple city area since Moby was a minnow.

dezguy

That is where common sense comes into the equation. If I have 2 deliveries left and only 1 will be on time and they are side by side. 1 is a Directv remote control going to a resi and the other is payroll that I know XYZ Manufacturing gets every week, I am gonna del the payroll and worry about the Directv delivery after 1030. You do realize that many large shippers get a huge discount and wave all refunds for late deliveries don't you. OF COURSE you do, you know everything. Directv might not be able to request a refund for their late delivery on the all so important remote control delivery but the XYZ shipper might be able to request a refund on their late paychecks. The resi person is usually just glad to get the new remote, even if it was delivered at 1040. The employees at XYZ are not as forgiving if their paycheck is late, even by 10 minutes.
How can I know everything when you seem to think you have that covered?

I highly doubt the employees at xyz are going to throw a fit that their paycheques came in 10 min late. If they weren't there by 3 or 4, I could see people becoming concerned.

Do you know for certain that large shipper has guaranteed delivery waived or do you just assume?

Again, I don't assume.

Oldfart

That's the difference between you and me.

You assume you know exactly what you're delivering. You assume all residents Del's are none important and all business Del's are dire need deliveries.

I don't make assumptions and run my route as planned. Besides, when we have late freight, I leave stops behind, according to my route plan, that way they do get delivered on time, rather than try to be a hero and have lates.
I never said I knew what every package contained. A Directv remote is a dead giveaway. A light Dell box from Dell is a dead giveaway for a Dell laptop the customer will soon ship back for repair. An Advocare box from Advocare will contain vitamins. A small rectangle box with RLC as the shipper is usually a cell phone. It is not rocket science, it is experience and common sense. Since you do not use common sense on your job, you fail to use a great tool for doing the job properly.

Oldfart. Remember back when Fedex would fly the 10 yr employees up to Memphis for 3 days, meeting all the Execs, touring the different Depts, etc. Alcohol included. ' Decade ', I think it was called.

Oldfart

How can I know everything when you seem to think you have that covered?

I highly doubt the employees at xyz are going to throw a fit that their paycheques came in 10 min late. If they weren't there by 3 or 4, I could see people becoming concerned.

Do you know for certain that large shipper has guaranteed delivery waived or do you just assume?

Again, I don't assume.
I know for a fact the certain discounts come with a waiver of refunds for late delivery. Common knowledge. Ask a sales rep. I see employees get crazy when their SOS paychecks get delivered at 1455. They know when we are USUALLY there and when we alter our times with their checks, they get nervous.

Oldfart

Oldfart. Remember back when Fedex would fly the 10 yr employees up to Memphis for 3 days, meeting all the Execs, touring the different Depts, etc. Alcohol included. ' Decade ', I think it was called.
Yep Decade program. Got to eat steak with Fred and Barksdale at some place near the hub in Memphis. I don't remember the 3 days but it was a long time ago.

dezguy

I know for a fact the certain discounts come with a waiver of refunds for late delivery. Common knowledge. Ask a sales rep. I see employees get crazy when their SOS paychecks get delivered at 1455. They know when we are USUALLY there and when we alter our times with their checks, they get nervous.
Whoa! Your fictional pay cheques for xyz company just went from being 10 minutes late to almost 4 1/2 hours late? Anything to try to prove your point I guess, eh?

If you're not going to get to xyz company till 1455, why isn't that stop being left for overflow, like an employee with common sense would?

Guess your common sense isn't as good as you proclaim it to be.

Oldfart

I am a trusting person to a fault, until given a reason NOT to trust. So you're saying that I should trust FedEx when they say that our company is hurting for money, yet the corporate jets keep flying (UPS execs fly commercial). Or the execs are still getting nice bonuses while cutting hours and benefits for hourlies? Or one exec is getting a bonus for the DRA program even though everyone at the station level admits it's a joke? Or FedEx is spending BILLIONS on TNT and telling us we're hurting for money? I could go on and on, but you get the picture (I hope, but doubt).
I can't imagine one of the world's largest airlines not having corporate jets. In today's world, executive jets are a necessity. I am sure our jets are a great time saver for people that don't need to be sitting at an airport for hours waiting on their next leg. UPS might fly commercial, I have no idea. To me, that is almost irresponsible and not good use of executives time. Besides, flying anywhere from Atlanta is 100 times easier than flying out of Memphis. The last time I flew thru Memphis, their airport was a ghost town and since Northwest left and Delta took over, I heard direct flights were a thing of the past. I am not sure of what all airlines serves that airport now. Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world and you can fly direct to most any city in the country and most likely any major country in the world.

Oldfart

Whoa! Your fictional pay cheques for xyz company just went from being 10 minutes late to almost 4 1/2 hours late? Anything to try to prove your point I guess, eh?

If you're not going to get to xyz company till 1455, why isn't that stop being left for overflow, like an employee with common sense would?

Guess your common sense isn't as good as you proclaim it to be.
Na, your ability to read and reason just failed you. I just used the XYZ P1 example as why I concentrate on business over resi deliveries when possible. My SOS example was referring to you saying that companies don't care if their paychecks were late. Employees do care and notice when we deliver their checks. I deliver checks a day earlier than the company will give them out and employees still panic if they are not their by their USUAL time. Even if they are delivered before the commit time.

dezguy

Na, your ability to read and reason just failed you. I just used the XYZ P1 example as why I concentrate on business over resi deliveries when possible. My SOS example was referring to you saying that companies don't care if their paychecks were late. Employees do care and notice when we deliver their checks. I deliver checks a day earlier than the company will give them out and employees still panic if they are not their by their USUAL time. Even if they are delivered before the commit time.
Why would PO be getting delivered at 1455? Your argument makes no sense. In all my time, I have never seen PO get delivered that late.

Again, someone with common sense would, knowing they couldn't get there in time, would leave it behind for overflow who would get it there on time. Does you station not have overflow drivers? I thought you worked at a good station? Or are you one of those employees who likes to act like a hero, only to fail but doesn't see the problem with failing customers because they don't matter as much as another customer?

Oldfart

Why would PO be getting delivered at 1455? Your argument makes no sense. In all my time, I have never seen PO get delivered that late.

Again, someone with common sense would, knowing they couldn't get there in time, would leave it behind for overflow who would get it there on time. Does you station not have overflow drivers? I thought you worked at a good station? Or are you one of those employees who likes to act like a hero, only to fail but doesn't see the problem with failing customers because they don't matter as much as another customer?
They were 2 different examples. LOL. Sorry my explanation went right over your head. Never mind.