FEDEX losing Amazon business NOW?

dezguy

FEdEx has always pushed employees for every penny it pays them. Is turnover as high as before the new pay plan? Doubtful. But to avoid layoffs if things get tight they'll push employees enough that plenty will quit before they ever reach top pay. Wouldn't be the first time, doubtful the last.
FedEx still has a business to run, despite the stock values. You can't run a business if you drive employees to quit in an effort to stabilize stock values.

dex 84

FEdEx has always pushed employees for every penny it pays them. Is turnover as high as before the new pay plan? Doubtful. But to avoid layoffs if things get tight they'll push employees enough that plenty will quit before they ever reach top pay. Wouldn't be the first time, doubtful the last.

Locally at least we don't have a lot of turnover. It's just everyone's getting to retirement age and retiring, not many young people quitting...

vantexan

FedEx still has a business to run, despite the stock values. You can't run a business if you drive employees to quit in an effort to stabilize stock values.
They can if they can't support the number of employees they have. They could do a layoff for the first time, but probably would prefer higher paid employees to quit.

dex 84

I hope you're right for you're sake.

I'm coming up on my 5 year anniversary. I've never seen it as busy in the off season as it is now. We were running routes we only run during the summer and December almost straight through from labor day to Christmas. After Christmas as we went into the dead of winter we stopped running the extra routes but it was still busy for that time of year and now it's only going to pick up from here. We're definitely in for it this Spring and Summer if the Fall and Winter were any indication...

dezguy

They can if they can't support the number of employees they have. They could do a layoff for the first time, but probably would prefer higher paid employees to quit.
Again, they still have customers to service. How can you service customers if you're driving employees to quit?

Sure you can bring in younger employees cheaper but if you can't retain those employees, you're still in the same mess you started out in.

Nolimitz

Again, they still have customers to service. How can you service customers if you're driving employees to quit?

Sure you can bring in younger employees cheaper but if you can't retain those employees, you're still in the same mess you started out in.
your trying to talk to a has be/never was

vantexan

Welcome to FedEx, and as a "has be/never was" I've seen them do exactly this. Hope for your sakes it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
FedEx, et al have known Amazon was leaving for a few years now. It's not like this was dropped out of the blue.

Will it affect hiring? Yeah. Will it cause FedEx to take back from employees? Ehhhhh....

They're having a hard enough time keeping the people they have. I'm not sure going after its employees is going to better that situation.
Are you referring to the same FedEx that can’t remember that Christmas falls on December 25th every year?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
FedEx was a smaller operation overall before Amazon. Doesn't matter if Amazon becomes a competitor or not, without them FedEx will be consolidating routes, curtailing hiring, get leaner and meaner with current employees. Lower profits means smaller dividends, dividends drive stock price. If stock price drops, Fred and the other execs become less rich. Which really upsets them. There's no such thing as ho hum when a customer as big as Amazon is lost.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

the_brown_note

feels brown, man
They're delivering their own :censored2: where I am, now. Was talking with a Purolator guy the other day and they've laid off two guys with more expected in the near term.

I guess they're doing it like Uber; drive around in your own vehicle, delivering packages for a buck a pop. Sad thing is, these guys think they're making good money but need to do 25-30 stops an hour, minus gas and vehicle wear and tear.
Not just that by these idiots don’t realize they’re not paying into state disability, have no insurance, nothing is being put away for retirement. These people have no idea how :censored2:ty their jobs are. Just just want the money now and don’t think about their future.

vantexan

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
He's a jolly old elf!