FedEx to start delivering ground on Sundays

Db2400

You take any person that is unemployed..that has never held a job that pays above minimum wage or $18....and tell them that they will make $32 in 4 years.....I promise you, they will accept the job.
Eveyone says that until they hop in that truck. Its a little harder than it seems.

A

Article 3

It may be true that the voter turnout was low. The big question is who in their right mind thought that this was a good contract when the union negotiated it?
It's not true. The percentage was better than most. Just a few percent less than was needed to force the leadership to go back to the table since the company said they were going to. Wink, wink.

A

Article 3

Look, I'm all for the Union, and all that jazz.

But you have to look at it from a different point of view. The reality is that we need to have 22.4 combo jobs at a lower scale. This will allow UPS to remain competitive against Amazon and Fed Ex. Yes, it's bad for the 22.4 combo guys, but their pay scale isn't THAT much lower than us. They are going to be making $32 at top scale, an $8 dollar difference.

What's the point of having everyone as a 22.3, if the company goes under? I don't know about you, but I prefer that the company lasts another 100 years.....
IMG_20190602_021411.jpg
The company is going under.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
My center refuses to deliver any business on Saturday. The only pickups they do on Saturday are UPS Stores and “on-call” pickups. Therefore, not much will be delivered on Monday from Saturday pickups.
If the company is able to secure enough Saturday pickup accounts, your center won’t be able to refuse any more.

LarryBird

called this when they started the saturday thing.

next will be holidays .
I can see Christmas day premium service in the future but that's about it really. I don't think there's a demand for it. In fact, I don't think people want UPS or any other delivery company banging on their door on Easter or Thanksgiving or the 4th of July etc. This is usually time spent with family and friends and celebrating - I just don't think people want to see ups trucks in the neighborhood or drivers running across their lawn on a holiday, and I think there's no rush for time sensitive packages like Christmas gifts on the other holidays ups pays us for, so no demand for the service.

PT Car Washer

My center refuses to deliver any business on Saturday. The only pickups they do on Saturday are UPS Stores and “on-call” pickups. Therefore, not much will be delivered on Monday from Saturday pickups.
My building has been picking up Target ground packages on Saturday for years. Now that we have Saturday ground deliveries we pick up a few others just to take the pressure off of Mondays.

a911scanner

I can see Christmas day premium service in the future but that's about it really. I don't think there's a demand for it. In fact, I don't think people want UPS or any other delivery company banging on their door on Easter or Thanksgiving or the 4th of July etc. This is usually time spent with family and friends and celebrating - I just don't think people want to see ups trucks in the neighborhood or drivers running across their lawn on a holiday, and I think there's no rush for time sensitive packages like Christmas gifts on the other holidays ups pays us for, so no demand for the service.

I really don't think people care about these holidays and not being "bothered" by a delivery person.

Rather, with the behavior of current consumers, I contend they would love to have delivery every single day of the year so they don't have to leave the house for anything & can get it "yesterday" when they decide to order something online.

There is a reason Amazon has implemented 2 hour delivery in many population centers across the country.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I don't disagree with you that they shouldn't be working harder than a regular 22.3.

However, we have to think long term about the company. Amazon and Fed Ex doesn't have a Union. That means they are really competitive. As much as the Union is a blessing (it really is), it doesn't mean we can't be smart about fiances. What point is the Union if the company goes under?

If these new 22.4 will allow UPS to continue to be successful, then so be it.

This is the problem with two tiered wages. Should a 54 year old RPCD be expected to work “harder” than a 25 year old 22.4 just because of pay scale difference? In 10 to 15 years, RPCD will be phased out and younger generation will be worrying about 22.5 drivers. Pandora’s box has been sprung. Enjoy.

LarryBird

I really don't think people care about these holidays and not being "bothered" by a delivery person.

Rather, with the behavior of current consumers, I contend they would love to have delivery every single day of the year so they don't have to leave the house for anything & can get it "yesterday" when they decide to order something online.

There is a reason Amazon has implemented 2 hour delivery in many population centers across the country.
I agree with the general premise of your post. But I'd still contend that on the 8 days of the year that we're off for major holidays, the last thing on people's minds are whatever trinkets or doodads they ordered from Amazon the day before.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
You take any person that is unemployed..that has never held a job that pays above minimum wage or $18....and tell them that they will make $32 in 4 years.....I promise you, they will accept the job.
People that are unemployed in this Booming Trump Economy are lazy and don't want to work. Or in the case of the Ford Layoffs useless Management
No way they can hack it as a driver.
Maybe they fir as a useless PT of FT sup at UPS

Heavy Package

Businesses are the key to making Saturday / Sunday work. We could deliver and P/U to known retailers on Sat / Sunday and that would differentiate us vs. FedEx and Amazon, at least for awhile.

MyTripisCut

Businesses are the key to making Saturday / Sunday work. We could deliver and P/U to known retailers on Sat / Sunday and that would differentiate us vs. FedEx and Amazon, at least for awhile.
Interesting to wonder if retailers really want product delivered on the busier shopping days. Who will receive and inventory it when the store is full of shoppers. Big difference than on a weekday morning.

PT Car Washer

This is the problem with two tiered wages. Should a 54 year old RPCD be expected to work “harder” than a 25 year old 22.4 just because of pay scale difference? In 10 to 15 years, RPCD will be phased out and younger generation will be worrying about 22.5 drivers. Pandora’s box has been sprung. Enjoy.
It all started with the PT two tier wage scheme. Will FT delivery drivers be in the same situation as PT has been for the last 10 years or more. With starting PT Union wages competing with McDonalds and Walmart wages.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
that's what we said about saturdays and sundays years ago

LarryBird

that's what we said about saturdays and sundays years ago
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but the average Saturday or Sunday isn't Christmas Day, Thanksgiving, Easter, 4th of July, etc. - people aren't thinking about their Amazon orders while they're feasting with family or cooking out, drinking with their friends. At least they shouldn't be. That'd be kind of sad.

"Easter dinner be damned, where's my order of huggable hangers at"? "How dare UPS employees expect the same time off with family that I enjoy"?

MyTripisCut

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but the average Saturday or Sunday isn't Christmas Day, Thanksgiving, Easter, 4th of July, etc. - people aren't thinking about their Amazon orders while they're feasting with family or cooking out, drinking with their friends. At least they shouldn't be. That'd be kind of sad.

"Easter dinner be damned, where's my order of huggable hangers at"? "How dare UPS employees expect the same time off with family that I enjoy"?
There are two kinds of customer per delivery. The consignee and the shipper. The shipper, the shippers shareholders, and our shareholders don’t give a flying :censored2: if it’s Christmas Day or Fourth of July. They only care about stock price. If that means some poor schmuck in a brown uniform is delivering while people are eating, then that’s how it will be.

LarryBird

There are two kinds of customer per delivery. The consignee and the shipper. The shipper, the shippers shareholders, and our shareholders don’t give a flying :censored2: if it’s Christmas Day or Fourth of July. They only care about stock price. If that means some poor schmuck in a brown uniform is delivering while people are eating, then that’s how it will be.
Yeah, you're right. But it won't be because people are demanding it, it'll be corporate caving to our competitors desperation moves to gain on us by offering services we don't. The way a smart company makes moves isn't to respond to competitors, it's to respond to their consumers and have the ability to anticipate what they will want before they know they want it, and I really don't believe that consumers are clamoring for holiday delivery. It's just not a priority. It doesn't even move the needle for most people.

What moves the needle for our customers is the stellar service we provide them, and as long as we continue to provide the best service in the industry at a competitive price, I believe we're able to dictate terms to our shippers when it comes to holidays off to an extent, and within reason, they will deal with that and ship within our parameters for the foreseeable future. Just because Fedex or USPS deliver on these days, which are likely to be done at an operating loss, doesn't mean we need to. We can always change this down the road if we see it becomes something important to people - we don't have to dive right in because the next guy is doing it. We can check the temperature and see how deep the water is, then decide if we're going swimming.

Work smarter not harder holds true for large corporations just the same as it does for lowly hourly employees everywhere. Why lose money just to try to compete unless it's something that becomes a necessity through demand?