Feeder drivers, is UPS the place to begin a career?

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Actually air brakes on heavy trucks are always engaged by a heavy spring technically, air releases them. Same as a train.

But yes when you're driving down the road air applies the service brakes. Run out of air going to the road and your parking brakes are engaging...
Spring brakes, gotta study this manual more. Thanks Over70.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There were about 175 feeder drivers in my department when I retired. As far as I know, only 1 of them was hired off the street feeders, except the day 1 drivers UPS hired when they started in Texas in '71. Usually have to work your way thru the system. I know a couple of Swift drivers. They're starving to death and their own dogs bark at them when they finally get home from the road.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They are hiring feeder drivers off the street in every major metro area. Over 50% are now off the street hires. Same with package car.
Look carefully at the requirements at upsjobs.com Tractor trailer driver. They may require more then 1 year of experience.

MisplacedRailWorker

There were about 175 feeder drivers in my department when I retired. As far as I know, only 1 of them was hired off the street feeders, except the day 1 drivers UPS hired when they started in Texas in '71. Usually have to work your way thru the system. I know a couple of Swift drivers. They're starving to death and their own dogs bark at them when they finally get home from the road.
A kid has to start somewhere. I'm 21. Came through high school in an era where career planning and vocational guidance was long gone. Nobody thought past "mommy and daddy are sending me to Penn State or UM with my own late model BMW and a gold Amex." There should really be more focus on the trades and graduates earning a living outside of "Business Management". I would've jumped at the opportunity to become an electrician's or machinist's apprentice and journeyman. But my fault for skipping college.

MisplacedRailWorker

They are hiring feeder drivers off the street in every major metro area. Over 50% are now off the street hires. Same with package car.
Look carefully at the requirements at upsjobs.com Tractor trailer driver. They may require more then 1 year of experience.
This is what I'm talking about. But I guess this isn't the norm. If you're hired on to feeders from package car, how would you have tractor trailer experience? Especially if you started off as a package handler.

W

What The Hawk?

Did you always know you wanted a career with UPS in particular or just as a tractor trailer driver with whoever will hire you?

MisplacedRailWorker

Then there is a chance that you can't come back to ups
Forgot to mention, I've been re-hired at my new local hub. I begin training next Monday. But is it worth it to go back to package handling in hopes of moving up, as opposed to getting a CDL and driving job instead?

Keep in mind I could not give a loose smilet about what company I work for- if my truck has a giant image of male genitals on all sides. I'm more interested in earning a solid position and a career that pays. I heard UPS offers that, beat only by Walmart in driver compensation for hard, safe work.

*Walmart as an OTR driver*

W

What The Hawk?

Well, I suggest you stick with it this time and see what happens. Have patience. Everyone is different, UPS is a "career that pays" but is it right for YOU? Only you can answer that question.

MisplacedRailWorker

Did you always know you wanted a career with UPS in particular or just as a tractor trailer driver with whoever will hire you?
Just as a premium driver at a premium company. It's well known that UPS offers the same, therefore I'm trying to find the truth about this career path. Keep in mind I am a railroad man from a railroad family. This whole thing is new to me since I got furloughed.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Forgot to mention, I've been re-hired at my new local hub. I begin training next Monday. But is it worth it to go back to package handling in hopes of moving up, as opposed to getting a CDL and driving job instead?

Keep in mind I could not give a loose smilet about what company I work for- if my truck has a giant image of male genitals on all sides. I'm more interested in earning a solid position and a career that pays. I heard UPS offers that, beat only by Walmart in driver compensation for hard, safe work.

*Walmart as an OTR driver*
I would be very surprised if Walmart offers better pay and compensation that UPS, got any numbers to back that up?

Over 70

I would be very surprised if Walmart offers better pay and compensation that UPS, got any numbers to back that up?

I don't know but I've heard it's as good as it gets in the Trucking world too like UPS.

EDIT: Looking at glassdoor it says typical salary is 77K. UPS for the win. Doubt there's a pension and doubt they pay $0 for benefits

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
A kid has to start somewhere. I'm 21.
I also started at UPS at age 21, But I was also enrolled in college at the time. 14 months PT, 9 years package and the last 28 in feeders. My son started at UPS
while in high school when they lowered the age limits. The earlier the better. And if you sign a bid and go into feeders, UPS actually prefers you haven't developed any bad habits as an OTR driver. They prefer to train you "the UPS way." Good luck to you.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Where I am part-time workers make it into feeders every year.

If you don't mind moving head to Nashville and hire in at White's Creek as a part-time worker. I've heard they are adding 150 new feeder drivers and they are already taking part timers into feeders, have been for a long time. I've heard they're gonna end up with 500 feeder drivers when it's all finished.

Other than that Jacksonville might be an option. Maybe someone here can give you input about what will happen after they expand.