Feeder drivers, is UPS the place to begin a career?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

if you did your homework you would never sign up with Swift. You don't want misery? well, you'll be miserable with Swift. Check out truck driver discussion forums.

The trouble with their program and others like it you receive free training and then are committed to work for them for slave wages for one year whether you like it or not . If you bail early you have to pay for the training.

My son in law did this with Knight and hated every minute of it.

On the flip side, one year is a small price to pay for a free CDL.

Over 70

On the flip side, one year is a small price to pay for a free CDL.

You don't know what you're talking about here.

A small local beer distributor hired me off the street during a period of growth and paid for me to get my CDL 12 years ago with no slave contract.

Over 70

Sure I do.

We agree to pay for your CDL if you agree to be our bitch for a year.

giphy (12).gif

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
For anyone interested, this situation has actually turned out favorably. I did go to swift, got the CDL, then left shortly after receiving interviews for FT Package Car positions in my area. Got hired in a small center in a big city; seems too good to be true. Very suspicious as to why they would hire someone permanent so young off the street, but all the old heads tell me no one inside is qualified or wants to drive and they have exhausted all other avenues besides hiring off the street. Still making book and won’t get there until February (cold season) but if I make it then hey I guess Swift did me a favor! Or not, but at least I have a Class A to fall back on.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
For anyone interested, this situation has actually turned out favorably. I did go to swift, got the CDL, then left shortly after receiving interviews for FT Package Car positions in my area. Got hired in a small center in a big city; seems too good to be true. Very suspicious as to why they would hire someone permanent so young off the street, but all the old heads tell me no one inside is qualified or wants to drive and they have exhausted all other avenues besides hiring off the street. Still making book and won’t get there until February (cold season) but if I make it then hey I guess Swift did me a favor! Or not, but at least I have a Class A to fall back on.
Good for you for not giving up!

trickpony1

I think you have 30 days from the expiration date on your DOT medical card to get a new card and email/fax/personally deliver the new card to a DOT office.

They will enter it into their system and stamp the back of your new card.

They will send you a letter saying this.
If you fail to do this, your license will default to a class D and all endorsements will be dropped.

MisplacedRailWorker

All you need to do is keep your fedmed card current. Otherwise they will decertify you
Understood Sirs. Thank you for the information. On a side note, my good ol’ Dad helped me get approved to finance a 2015 Freightliner Cascadia Sleeper. So that’ll be sitting in the driveway in case UPS doesn’t work out.

Do not get it twisted, I do not trust UPS with my career or job stability. Therefore I have made a point to obtain as many pre-hire offers as possible with other freight carriers.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If you don't take your new fedmed card to a DOT office how will they know if it is current?
We are required to have a current fedmed card on file with the dot. We no longer have to keep a copy on our person because they can look it up electronicly. They also wont renew your class A license without a currunt fedmed card.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Understood Sirs. Thank you for the information. On a side note, my good ol’ Dad helped me get approved to finance a 2015 Freightliner Cascadia Sleeper. So that’ll be sitting in the driveway in case UPS doesn’t work out.

Do not get it twisted, I do not trust UPS with my career or job stability. Therefore I have made a point to obtain as many pre-hire offers as possible with other freight carriers.

How close is good ol' Dad to retirement? If he is within 5 years I personally think that it was very foolish on his part and selfish on your part to have him "help you get approved" by cosigning for your loan. Do you realize that cosigning is one of the worst things that you can do in regard to your credit score?

MisplacedRailWorker

My Dad is retired from Amtrak, 25 years in T&E service (Engineer). He’s bored and is getting his CDL again, so it’s also a small business opportunity to keep him busy. He drove flatbed back in the 70s when USMC tank drivers were given a pass at the DMV for a CDL.

What'dyabringmetoday???

How close is good ol' Dad to retirement? If he is within 5 years I personally think that it was very foolish on his part and selfish on your part to have him "help you get approved" by cosigning for your loan. Do you realize that cosigning is one of the worst things that you can do in regard to your credit score?
It really is funny when it is ok for YOU to stick your nose into someone else's affairs.

Faceplanted

I have always thought about signing the bid sheet, letting ups pay for my class a, coming in right after I get it and retiring early.

Last edited: