Feeder drivers, is UPS the place to begin a career?

barnyard

KTM rider
would be very surprised if Walmart offers better pay and compensation that UPS, got any numbers to back that up?

Walmart has been cutting pay and benefits to their company drivers for the past 5-8 years. They used to pay fairly well, in an effort to keep out union organizers. They still pay better than most OTR outfits, but that is because of accessorial pay and you only get that if you know how to do your timecard correctly. I have read a few online accounts of drivers losing out on pay because they did not code their timecard correctly.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I have also heard that Walmart OTR drivers are better compensated than our feeder guys.

I know a guy who is the most senior driver out of one of their distribution centers. He makes close to $110k but is gone 5 days a week. Our compensation is why most OTR drivers hate us. Many OTR drivers are lucky to make $40k a year living in their tractor. Most of us make $100k+ and sleep at home every night.

Some of our mileage drivers are around $160k and they pay for nothing. Most owner operators are lucky to gross $200k and have tons of expenses to pay out of that amount.

Pooter

OP, never settle.

Get the CDL, probably will be forced to quit ups, Don't burn the bridge, give 2 week notice.

Complete your contract, and keep hunting for the better paying job. Keep checking UPS and other carriers.

...I haven't settled; just waiting for my seniority to balloon so I can bump some losers in feeders. :D

P

pickup

It almost surprises me that they wouldn't prefer hiring drivers who already have years of experience driving the big rigs. But nothing at UPS surprises me. Nothing.

Thank you all.

Years of experience that you dont have. If it were the actual experience of UPS hiring mostly drivers off the streets. There would be a waiting list of drivers with over 20 years of big rig experience ahead of you for the job.

P

pickup

No I'm from Florida. I have so many questions because I see so, so much misery around me and need to know how to avoid becoming so. I.e. with debt, a divorce, child support, grim employment prospects. I want to work hard to become a professional driver. Thus having a skill I can be proud of. And not burn out at one job only to take a worse one to pay off debt from kids I never intended to have etc.

With what you're gonna make with Swift, you are better off going back to UPS at a big hub where there is a lot of movement of package drivers into feeders. Get a part time hub job and supplement that with income from another or job until you get a chance to drive a package car.

Make your way through wage progression and you will be at top rate which is a dime an hour lower than the top rate of a feeder driver. After that , you wait to go into feeders.

You're going to regret Swift. Don't believe me,?, just type in Swift sucks in a google search box and see what pops up. And whatever you see goes triple for you because you are on the hook for the 5 to 8 grand for the truck driving academy if you leave before the year is up. They'll have you by the balls and they know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

And to the Original Poster, considering you left UPS after only 6 months, you just might have a permanent no rehire mark on your record. Something to think about.

JackStraw

In my center we had about 10 transfer to feeders in the past 5 years And a few more are on the list. Nobody wants to do package any more.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If your location offers earn and learn tuition reimbursement you can get your cdl at a local technical college and they will reimburse you. Some locations have a system for part time qualified employees to go straight to feeders. Contact your local union

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
if you did your homework you would never sign up with Swift. You don't want misery? well, you'll be miserable with Swift. Check out truck driver discussion forums.

The trouble with their program and others like it you receive free training and then are committed to work for them for slave wages for one year whether you like it or not . If you bail early you have to pay for the training.

My son in law did this with Knight and hated every minute of it.