Feeder drivers, is UPS the place to begin a career?

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
First of all, good afternoon and many salutations to you salty UPSers you.

I am a former package handler who started as a driver helper in Manhattan. I got the permanent position shortly after peak season and worked there for about 6 months before leaving. I want to become a driver and at my center it seemed to be that P/T Sup was the only next step; I am not interested in the management avenue. I am now signed up to earn my CDL at Swift Transportation with a 1 year driving commitment upon completion.

1. Would I be better off returning to UPS and earning my CDL at a private school? I intend to make a career as a tractor trailer driver.

2. Does UPS actually hire feeder and freight drivers from within the package handlers and preloaders? If so, do they run a training academy for one to earn a CDL alike Swift, Prime, Schneider etc.? I know big brown swears up and down that it only hires from within, but have never *actually* seen this phenomena occur (at least amongst bargained laborers).

Thank you all and stay safe. And not UPS safe. Actual safe.

MrFeeder

In my center, you have to be a full time driver in order to qualify for feeders. So become a full time first, sign the feeders bid list and wait for a call. Once you get the call who knows how long it will take, you will go to a two week intensive training with a lot of memorizing verbatim the UPS way and they will pay for every thing.

MisplacedRailWorker

No I'm from Florida. I have so many questions because I see so, so much misery around me and need to know how to avoid becoming so. I.e. with debt, a divorce, child support, grim employment prospects. I want to work hard to become a professional driver. Thus having a skill I can be proud of. And not burn out at one job only to take a worse one to pay off debt from kids I never intended to have etc.

MisplacedRailWorker

In my center, you have to be a full time driver in order to qualify for feeders. So become a full time first, sign the feeders bid list and wait for a call. Once you get the call who knows how long it will take, you will go to a two week intensive training with a lot of memorizing verbatim the UPS way and they will pay for every thing.
Understood. Thank you.

MisplacedRailWorker

It almost surprises me that they wouldn't prefer hiring drivers who already have years of experience driving the big rigs. But nothing at UPS surprises me. Nothing.

Thank you all.

MisplacedRailWorker

It's amazing how different this industry is from the railroad... everything down to the air brakes- air pressure engages truck brakes, while rail cars' brakes are always engaged until air pressure releases them.

Over 70

It's amazing how different this industry is from the railroad... everything down to the air brakes- air pressure engages truck brakes, while rail cars' brakes are always engaged until air pressure releases them.

Actually air brakes on heavy trucks are always engaged by a heavy spring technically, air releases them. Same as a train.

But yes when you're driving down the road air applies the service brakes. Run out of air going to the road and your parking brakes are engaging...