Feeder School

MN-Kid

Afternoon,
If I can get some honest answers, I would appreciate it. Going to be starting feeder school soon, and wondering how difficult it is. Coming to school with 25years as a driver and a little nervous about training. Not so much the driving as I am about the pre-trip stuff and testing. Would anyone be willing to share helpful information?

Thanks

542thruNthru

Afternoon,
If I can get some honest answers, I would appreciate it. Going to be starting feeder school soon, and wondering how difficult it is. Coming to school with 25years as a driver and a little nervous about training. Not so much the driving as I am about the pre-trip stuff and testing. Would anyone be willing to share helpful information?

Thanks

Your best bet would be to ask any question you might have in this thread here...
Ask a Feeder Driver, Feeder Driver FAQ

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Afternoon,

Thanks
You will be trained properly on the pre trip , soak in as much as you can during the class , ask friends in feeders anything you don’t get , make sure you have a current DOT card and a CDL permit in hand !! Most importantly, drop the package car mentality of rushing !!
don’t be overwhelmed by the size of the truck by looking down at the hood , use the five seeing habits , it won’t come on a day or week , but trust me , it will all come together !! Good luck !

542thruNthru

You will be trained properly on the pre trip , soak in as much as you can during the class , ask friends in feeders anything you don’t get , make sure you have a current DOT card and a CDL permit in hand !! Most importantly, drop the package car mentality of rushing !!
don’t be overwhelmed by the size of the truck by looking down at the hood , use the five seeing habits , it won’t come on a day or week , but trust me , it will all come together !! Good luck !

Don't listen to this bean boy.. he's just a airport shifter.;)

MN-Kid

Thanks. I will look at the video, pay attention and ask questions.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you are training in Eagan, you will typically drive to every metro building, including the railyard. I would ask the supe if you can drive into the rail yard and out again. It is a tight fit and going in the 1st time with a 2nd set of eyes might be helpful. I think the Shakopee building is seasonal. Either way, ask to go there too. Easy enough to get to and all that, just one of those things that doing it with an empty would be less stressful.

Also, ask to go to the airport. It is not that difficult, but it is way easier when you are pulling an empty and under no time pressure to get there or any of that. I made my 1st 3 trips to the airport right before Christmas, pulling a 53. It would have been less stressful if I knew where I was going and where I could turn around and all that.

Take a couple of pairs of gloves and a small flashlight to feeder school.

Indecisi0n

Afternoon,

Thanks
Thank you for your membership. I'll make sure this thread stays on track.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
If you are training in Eagan, you will typically drive to every metro building, including the railyard. I would ask the supe if you can drive into the rail yard and out again. It is a tight fit and going in the 1st time with a 2nd set of eyes might be helpful. I think the Shakopee building is seasonal. Either way, ask to go there too. Easy enough to get to and all that, just one of those things that doing it with an empty would be less stressful.

Also, ask to go to the airport. It is not that difficult, but it is way easier when you are pulling an empty and under no time pressure to get there or any of that. I made my 1st 3 trips to the airport right before Christmas, pulling a 53. It would have been less stressful if I knew where I was going and where I could turn around and all that.

Take a couple of pairs of gloves and a small flashlight to feeder school.
Shakopee is going to be permanent. FYI

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Watch this video a few times it’s a big help. @MN-Kid

Ain't nobody got time for that.... :biggrin:

Seriously, he must be a Feeder training supervisor.

2 things;

He properly demonstrated 3 points of contact. (that doesn't work in pkg)

He missed the air compressor under the hood. I got dinged on the CDL test for

not saying it was "belt or shaft" driven.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Ain't nobody got time for that.... :biggrin:

Seriously, he must be a Feeder training supervisor.

2 things;

He properly demonstrated 3 points of contact. (that doesn't work in pkg)

He missed the air compressor under the hood. I got dinged on the CDL test for

not saying it was "belt or shaft" driven.

He seems like your typical supervisor at UPS.

They can regurgitate information on demand and have answers for everything, but put this guy in the real world and that tractor would be in a ditch before the engine even gets warm.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.