Feeder speed limit?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
At the hub I based out of 99% of the time I have to put up the strap/bar, close the door, and write up the seal control....:eek:

That used to happen to us. We would just walk back to the dispatch office and let them know. Sometimes they would tell us to do it, but we just told them that wasn't our job. After a few weeks, I didn't happen because our sups were that being the reason we were leaving late everyday. We'll close our doors, but not secure the loads or fill out paperwork.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
That used to happen to us. We would just walk back to the dispatch office and let them know. Sometimes they would tell us to do it, but we just told them that wasn't our job. After a few weeks, I didn't happen because our sups were that being the reason we were leaving late everyday. We'll close our doors, but not secure the loads or fill out paperwork.

See but if you call and bitch every time the paperwork isn't right (tick), then get the OK to fill it out (tick), then bitch some more about how this isn't the first time (Tick) yes you'll find out who the supervisor is that is responsible (tick) and no he's not on the belt where he should be (tick) yes you will send a picture of the improperly filled out paperwork (tick), you've spent just as much time as walking up there to get it filled out. Then you get more time bitching to the on-road (tick) who is asking why you can't get off property on time (tick) and get to go on and on (tick tick tick) about how the paperwork is always friend'd up (tick) and you have to call every time (tick) & the problem is still not getting fixed (tick) and how it shouldn't be your problem (tick) & he has to agree with you that it's not your fault (tick) and he says he will take care of it (tick) and you say you sure hope so (tick) because the Company isn't paying for your cell phone (tick) and you could just walk up there every time (tick) but you are trying to be helpful in getting out on time (tick) and why is this a problem anyway (tick) because supervisor's jobs aren't really that hard (tick) but they can't even manage to put on their vests like they are supposed to (tick) and they are always just texting each other on their phones (tick) instead of filling out paperwork (tick) and not to mention the hazmats aren't in the pouch like they are supposed to be (tick) and you could have make them do a rehandle (tick tick tick) but you want the loads to get out on time (tick) so you didn't, heck you even got there early today (tick) but they still made you leave 25 minutes late (tick) gee look at the time (tick) well I hope this doesn't happen tomorrow I gotta get on road (tick) right after I hit the head (tick tick tick).

The only thing forgotten is when you call dispatch and they do the " Tell the sup......." game. I don't play. I tell them that they know the number, call them directly and work it out between the two of them. I'm not a mediator. (Tick)

Dracula

See but if you call and bitch every time the paperwork isn't right (tick), then get the OK to fill it out (tick), then bitch some more about how this isn't the first time (Tick) yes you'll find out who the supervisor is that is responsible (tick) and no he's not on the belt where he should be (tick) yes you will send a picture of the improperly filled out paperwork (tick), you've spent just as much time as walking up there to get it filled out. Then you get more time bitching to the on-road (tick) who is asking why you can't get off property on time (tick) and get to go on and on (tick tick tick) about how the paperwork is always friend'd up (tick) and you have to call every time (tick) & the problem is still not getting fixed (tick) and how it shouldn't be your problem (tick) & he has to agree with you that it's not your fault (tick) and he says he will take care of it (tick) and you say you sure hope so (tick) because the Company isn't paying for your cell phone (tick) and you could just walk up there every time (tick) but you are trying to be helpful in getting out on time (tick) and why is this a problem anyway (tick) because supervisor's jobs aren't really that hard (tick) but they can't even manage to put on their vests like they are supposed to (tick) and they are always just texting each other on their phones (tick) instead of filling out paperwork (tick) and not to mention the hazmats aren't in the pouch like they are supposed to be (tick) and you could have make them do a rehandle (tick tick tick) but you want the loads to get out on time (tick) so you didn't, heck you even got there early today (tick) but they still made you leave 25 minutes late (tick) gee look at the time (tick) well I hope this doesn't happen tomorrow I gotta get on road (tick) right after I hit the head (tick tick tick).

We play the same game, with slightly different methods. The end result, I believe, is identical.

BTW, when I say "we", I don't want you to get the idea that the majority of us do this. Many, many of our drivers start getting nervous when they get brought into the office about 'on-property', 'turn-around' and fuel and wash times. My guess is that these drivers were the same way when they were in package car, too. We have more than 300 drivers, and worst case scenario, I would guess 1/3rd of us stand firm to management. Best case? Maybe a little more than half.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I was told by LP that all I do is hold the steering wheel. I do not close trailer doors unless the the trailer is empty, I do not fill out seal controls, except for where I have to sign my name, and have never ever never sealed a trailer. To easy to toss a 90,000 dollar a year job out the window, just because I got in a hurry, and sealed my own trailer.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've always thought it strange that package cars are set at different speeds. Some I drive are set at a top speed of 65 while others 72 and one Workhorse 500 goes 77 (I assumed it capped out at 65 and got quite a shock when I looked down and realized I was speeding).

Indecisi0n

speed_limit.jpg

purplesky

I was told by LP that all I do is hold the steering wheel. I do not close trailer doors unless the the trailer is empty, I do not fill out seal controls, except for where I have to sign my name, and have never ever never sealed a trailer. To easy to toss a 90,000 dollar a year job out the window, just because I got in a hurry, and sealed my own trailer.

When UPS installs the trailer doors that lock remotely(like ON-STAR) nobody will have to worry about the door issue? Our feeder drivers put seals on doors all day long.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Ours do to. We have to verify the loads & percentages, plus that's when we find those hazmats that didn't get processed. Usually we don't seal rail trailers because they don't put the bolt part in the pouch. Nothing to worry about if you are just doing your job and not stealing stuff.

At the CACH we do none of that stuff. The building was designed so that the doors open into the building on swinging trls. When we get to our dispatched trl either its closed and ready to go or its not and then its between dispatch and the hub.
We just verify the trl number and destination and sign at the bottom.

They're sealed long before I get there. If anything sups fudge on the full side to look good on paper.

"Uhmm................................50%! "

Dracula

They're sealed long before I get there. If anything sups fudge on the full side to look good on paper.

"Uhmm................................50%! "

I think the only correct % I've ever checked on a load is an empty, or a 100%er. I always figured the p/t sups got a bonus determined by load %. Unless the driver fills out the %, a load that says 80%, is 50. A 50% is 25.

bluehdmc

We used to have the gate guards seal them. Now with Automatic Dispatch the seal is supposed to be in the pouch with the paperwork. I was taught to verify 3-5 packages going to the destination against the seal control, sometime you find 4 day old seal control from the incoming load :-). Of course the automatic dispatch on the IVIS always says 100%.
I've taken sealed loads at 100%, thought they were kinda light going up the highway, get to the destination and it might be 35%. Looks good on the reports going to Atlanta though!

CACH loads always said 99% or 98%, never 100% which I found odd. Somebody is screwing somebody I'm sure.

Pt sups barely literate enough to spell there own names much less determine percentages.

I love when they're too lazy to sign seal controls and trip tickets. Micky Mouse has sent a lot of trailers on their way when I've had to move them.

ezmoney5150

The only thing forgotten is when you call dispatch and they do the " Tell the sup......." game. I don't play. I tell them that they know the number, call them directly and work it out between the two of them. I'm not a mediator. (Tick)
I tell them its not in my job description.

ezmoney5150

There must be more to this story? Are his arrival times that far off from his scheduled arrival? Even driving slow he should still be in the ballpark by 15 minutes unless he is hitting every rest stop and visiting hookers.

No. The schedule is wrong. I had a guy going to Buffalo at 6 in the morning with a a planned 10 hour day. Then they changed his start time to 7am and on him for not running schedule. They didn't change the plan for rush hour traffic putting him an hour behind. Typical for sups to think you're dragging your feet instead of getting the "big picture" and thinking outside the box. After I turned it around on them he's now a great driver. Go figure.

bluehdmc

CACH loads always said 99% or 98%, never 100% which I found odd. Somebody is screwing somebody I'm sure.
a
a
I asked that about Louisville loads, was told if they put it in the computer at 100% and scanned a last minute package, (even an envelope), the computer would go haywire.
Of course I'm the guy that would fold, spindle, and mutilate keypunch cards. (Who remembers them?)

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The other week I had what I thought was me being generous at 90% so I changed the pre-dispatch info but just before I left they changed it back to 100%. So much for the memo still posted that we need to pay particular attention to all the pre-dispatch info including percentage to be sure it is correct.