Feels soo good to say NO!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Feels soo good to say NO!

Welcome everybody and a Happy Thanksgiving!

In my first year working for UPS I was offered to work a UPS day off threw a signup. It really sounded good, time and a half for less then 2 hours of work. Yet I was nervous to what type of work that was to await me that following morning. I soon found out it was a cake walk and enjoyed it, to this day it has been the easiest workday I’ve had there.

That same year another day came around and I worked it. It was much more rash then that day due to picking off packages off a belt and stacking out. Yet it was minor to what was about to come my and others way.

The next year the same day off and work sign up comes around. Reflecting back to the pervious year I was excited to sign up again. I show up and was told I was to load 10 cars while working out of 3 cages. I was stunned and the work was hellacious. Over all my trust was broken with these people. Yet I still signed up that next day off to work the belt thinking it wouldn’t be as bad as that one day pervious. It came down to 5 cars and it was just as bad as the day with ten cars.

Trust me, I’m not complaining at all. It was still extra money for me. The times that these days would come back around I would refuse to work them though. It seems that UPS sees that if one person is getting time and a half, then that worker will have to squeeze 3 hours of work into that one hour. So, as a warning to all who work in a center or HUB, don’t think those days will be easy. As for those who will be working tomorrow, I wish you good luck to whatever they throw your way.

It does feel so good to say no to them! I’m tired of them seeing me as some sort of preload godlike figure. To hold these skills at ransom is worth the price of admission. To say that four days off will worth its weight before peak starts.

I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s Thanksgiving. Just sending a warning to those old and new workers alike that UPS has gone a little more crazy when handing out work. A mass of people didn’t sign up this year because of last year.

Thank you so much for reading! To those who work tomorrow, let us know how it was.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Don't let them play you.
Work at the same pace regardless the assignment.
They will adjust when you fall behind their inflated plan.
I will work tomorrow and will receive 24 hrs pay for 8 on the clock.
Cakewalk.

brownboxman

I will have the day off tomorrow, get paid for 8 hrs and enjoy life with family or friends. I make enough that I dont want the extra work. Its not how much you make , its how much you spend!

probellringer

its a tough call here... my commute is 3 minutes...its 8hr holiday ,,plus time & half for hrs worked with 4hrs guaranteed...so in at 9am-done at 1pm....im sure wife /kids will still be in pajamas when i get back...but people with long commutes,travelling,it might not be worth it...enjoy -wherever you may be...

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I would enjoy to hear those similar horror stories as I posted on UPS days off. I'm sure those here in Orlando would be able to tell them this Monday.

How much you spend, anit it the truth!

bumped

I will have the day off tomorrow, get paid for 8 hrs and enjoy life with family or friends. I make enough that I dont want the extra work. Its not how much you make , its how much you spend!

Its how much your wife spends.

I wouldn't work for straight time, nor would I work for time and a half. Everyone has their price, and double time is that price. So, I'll be working.

I go in tomorrow at 6:30 am for what i'm told will only be 3 hours of work.

I don't know what to expect. I'm a pre-loader but i'm hoping it will be a cake walk.

UPSGUY72

I took monday and tuesday off so I'm going to work tomorrow Holiday plus time and a half will just about make up for the two days I took off. So I'll get a full weeks pay for working 2 days.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I go in tomorrow at 6:30 am for what i'm told will only be 3 hours of work.

I don't know what to expect. I'm a pre-loader but i'm hoping it will be a cake walk.

Hey brown, let me know how it is, k!

How much do get on a regular day?

If I may ask, what region in the country are you?

Please, please let us know what you get tomorrow.

Nimnim

The Nim
I sign up for the extra sorts based on my plans, with the exception of New Years Eve. Working New Years Eve night is just asking not to have fun that holiday. I have been looking for extra time these days though so if they had a shift I could work tomorrow I'd have signed up, but it looks like it never made it to my shift.

I gotta say my easiest day worked wasn't an optional sort, someone decided no one could be sent home on a day we were horridly overstaffed so I ended up walking around my unload with a broom for the night.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'm in the DC metro area.

I make $40 a day. $200 a week.

I'll let you know how it goes.

What should I expect?...

No idea, dont let it worry you..

It depends on how many signed up and such..

I make about 230 a week, but I've been here for three years ( lol to you 10, 20 year guys ).

How long have you been working for UPS?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I sign up for the extra sorts based on my plans, with the exception of New Years Eve. Working New Years Eve night is just asking not to have fun that holiday. I have been looking for extra time these days though so if they had a shift I could work tomorrow I'd have signed up, but it looks like it never made it to my shift.

I gotta say my easiest day worked wasn't an optional sort, someone decided no one could be sent home on a day we were horridly overstaffed so I ended up walking around my unload with a broom for the night.

Sounds really nice!

Perhaps the next or up coming thread should be titled " whats the easiest you' ve had it at UPS" or something along that...

fethrs

3 hrs for me tomorrow 6-9 am, processing air, no ground packages.

No big deal for me, extra money on the check.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
second year in a row I will not be working, I still think that the contract is wrong to require all air drivers to work tomorrow and at straight pay ( no ot ). I have stated this before and now again, until this is fixed, that all employees are paid the same I will always vote no to any contracts.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I thought about working tomorrow, but I have something more important to do with out of town family. I worked last year and had about 60 stops, 30 on my area and 30 on the one next to mine. I thought it was easy to use EDD to run the more unfamiliar route. Normally we use 25 or so drivers to run the 55 routes, but I heard they are only planning to use 17 tomorrow. Its expected to be a disaster, I'm glad to sit this one out.

second year in a row I will not be working, I still think that the contract is wrong to require all air drivers to work tomorrow and at straight pay ( no ot ). I have stated this before and now again, until this is fixed, that all employees are paid the same I will always vote no to any contracts.
It's not fair.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

All air drivers are not required to work today (Friday).