FULL TIMERS still in PROGRESSION with seniority date by Aug 1st! Did you file your grievance!?!

Boston25

I'll ask again, what's different this time....or are you "tooting your own horn" in asserting that the "Grievous you and brother put together" was the only difference?

I will admit that I haven't followed this thread from post to post (218), but I did see that you referenced Article 54 instead of 41 of the National, which has me wondering if you have supplemental language that bolsters this ground shaking grievance?

Again, I'm trying to gather information for those in my Local who may benefit from it.
I think maybe it was changed between the IBT and UPS. I’m in progression and received my progression bump plus my .75. But didn’t get the .70 raise because my 1.00 progression bump was higher.

Boston25

@BigJamesBrown , had a guy call me this weekend with a seniority date of August 8th of 2018.

Does he have no claim to any gross wage increases for the duration of this contract, while someone with a seniority date of July 31st, 2018 will?
Looking at the contract anyone hired after 8/1/18 would only receive the progression bump. Then the yearly increase after 4 years. If a part timer gets promoted they would be red circled.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Looking at the contract anyone hired after 8/1/18 would only receive the progression bump. Then the yearly increase after 4 years. If a part timer gets promoted they would be red circled.
I read the last 4 contracts and this language is essentially the same....but that's not how it went then, so again why now?

....and what about the guy who qualifies a couple of days after 8/01/2018, why was he left behind for his entire 4 year progression???

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I read the last 4 contracts and this language is essentially the same....but that's not how it went then, so again why now?

....and what about the guy who qualifies a couple of days after 8/01/2018, why was he left behind for his entire 4 year progression???

You are hitting on most of the issues I have with this situation. The main difference in the language this time around is there is no date for the annual increases. In my estimation that means as long as anyone in progression gets an increase at least as large as the gwi and no less than the progression increase any time in a contract year, the contract terms have been satisfied.

The reason the language about full timers who have reached seniority prior to August 1st is in there is so they will be bumped up to the rate they should make in the new progression schedule as of August 1st. Without that language they would stay in the old progression schedule and technically have to wait until their next progression bump to be dovetailed in to the new progression schedule. Full timers attaining seniority after August 1st will already be in the new progression schedule, so they don't need language to bring them into it.

It is pretty confusing, but even a crappy lawyer should be able to piece it together. So the fact that people have gotten the gwi increase separate from their progression bump tells me someone in management or payroll jumped the gun before legal could look it over. There may be some regional variations, but language in the master should nullify those anyway.

Last edited:

BigJamesBrown

I'll ask again, what's different this time....or are you "tooting your own horn" in asserting that the "Grievous you and brother put together" was the only difference?

I will admit that I haven't followed this thread from post to post (218), but I did see that you referenced Article 54 instead of 41 of the National, which has me wondering if you have supplemental language that bolsters this ground shaking grievance?

Again, I'm trying to gather information for those in my Local who may benefit from it.
I can only tell you that I do believe that my grievance was an instrumental component in the decision to pay the gwi to those that are in progression with a seniority date before August 1st 2018 because I was the only person with a grievance that specified that fact, everyone else who filed a grievance did not file stating that the that. Gwi was in addition to the progression rate increase. Let me add bat Teamwork Makes the DreamWork and all of the voices and grievances that came together to fight fight for our money is what I believe to be the deciding factor overall! Article 51 is a precept which is only icing on a already beautifully made cake. Article 41 stands alone and does not need any supplemental language to be made clear. Feel free to ask me anything regarding this matter no matter who or what the questions are for...

BigJamesBrown

@BigJamesBrown , had a guy call me this weekend with a seniority date of August 8th of 2018.

Does he have no claim to any gross wage increases for the duration of this contract, while someone with a seniority date of July 31st, 2018 will?
When in doubt file! Before August 1st 2008 means before August 1st 2008 as far as seniority goes, in my opinion.

BigJamesBrown

The only thing I can think of that changed are the type of grievances that were filed. Search my thread for the grievance that I filed copy and do the same. A lot of guys at my Hub are saying that my grievance was the game changer! Tell the guy with the seniority date a few days before August 1st 2018 to copy my grievance from this thread and file said grievance with the Stewart or BA

BigJamesBrown

If anyone with a seniority date before August 1st 2018 did not receive the $0.75 contact your business agent and let them know that you did not receive your $0.75. I also heard through the grapevine that the 70 cents is comingoh, but they have to work out the details on the $0.70 and the Retro check associated with the money owed!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Gwi was in addition to the progression rate increase.

There is no language in article 41 that supports the gwi is in addition to progression.

Article 51 is a precept which is only icing on a already beautifully made cake.

Wasn't it article 54?

Article 41 stands alone and does not need any supplemental language to be made clear.
All supplemental language regarding progression is nullified by the master.

BigJamesBrown

You are hitting on most of the issues I have with this situation. The main difference in the language this time around is there is no date for the annual increases. In my estimation that means as long as anyone in progression gets an increase at least as large as the gwi and no less than the progression increase any time in a contract year, the contract terms have been satisfied.

The reason the language about full timers who have reached seniority prior to August 1st is in there is so they will be bumped up to the rate they should make in the new progression schedule as of August 1st. Without that language they would stay in the old progression schedule and technically have to wait until their next progression bump to be dovetailed in to the new progression schedule. Full timers attaining seniority after August 1st will already be in the new progression schedule, so they don't need language to bring them into it.

It is pretty confusing, but even a crappy lawyer should be able to piece it together. So the fact that people have gotten the gwi increase separate from their progression bump tells me someone in management or payroll jumped the gun before legal could look it over. There may be some regional variations, but language in the master should nullify those anyway.
Don't count on this money going away!

BigJamesBrown

There is no language in article 41 that supports the gwi is in addition to progression.

Wasn't it article 54?

All supplemental language regarding progression is nullified by the master.
So in this case article 41 says people in progression get the gwi and article 54 specifically says what the new rates of the contract are without having a seniority date before August 1st 2018.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So in this case article 41 says people in progression get the gwi and article 54 specifically says what the new rates of the contract are without having a seniority date before August 1st 2018.

Article 41 says they get the above increases, and that they will be paid no less than what is outlined in section 2. So, as long as their increase is as large as the gwi, and no less than the progression rate, the contract terms are satisfied. It does not say anywhere that gwi is on top of progression rates. It does not list a specific date, so as long as a full timer in progression with seniority before August 1st gets a raise at least as high as the gwi but no less than the progression increase any time during the contract year, the terms of the contract are satisfied. Point to the language that disproves this, you can't because there isn't any. They may not try to take back what they've already paid out, but I wouldn't count on that.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I think maybe it was changed between the IBT and UPS. I’m in progression and received my progression bump plus my .75. But didn’t get the .70 raise because my 1.00 progression bump was higher.

How did you only get a 1.00 progression bump? Every progression step is at least $3/hr higher than last contract.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
When I went FT it was .50 raises every 6 months, two year progression

But we're talking about this contract, not 15 years ago, or whenever it was you went through progression. It boggles my mind that these guys are making such huge increases in their progression rates, but think they are entitled to even more. Granted, if they can get the money out of UPS, more power to them. But they've taken one line of contract language while ignoring the rest and they think it's an ironclad certainty.

Johnny b good

The b.a. in local 776 is telling guys to write managers at hubs, a letter stating that they think that they are being overpaid, he says guys shouldnt be getting the Gwi in progression.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can only tell you that I do believe that my grievance was an instrumental component in the decision to pay the gwi to those that are in progression with a seniority date before August 1st 2018 because I was the only person with a grievance that specified that fact, everyone else who filed a grievance did not file stating that the that. Gwi was in addition to the progression rate increase. Let me add bat Teamwork Makes the DreamWork and all of the voices and grievances that came together to fight fight for our money is what I believe to be the deciding factor overall! Article 51 is a precept which is only icing on a already beautifully made cake. Article 41 stands alone and does not need any supplemental language to be made clear. Feel free to ask me anything regarding this matter no matter who or what the questions are for...
Dude, it is only August 13th and "the Union wheels of justice" just don't turn that quickly.

Again, I'm not rooting against you, but am having a hard time connecting all of the dots.

BigJamesBrown

Dude, it is only August 13th and "the Union wheels of justice" just don't turn that quickly.

Again, I'm not rooting against you, but am having a hard time connecting all of the dots.
You might have a hard time connecting the dots and one of the. You're having a hard time connecting is that this has been going on for months now not weeks or days. These guys have had months now not days or weeks to see what they're up against concerning these grievances. All of the Grievances in my hub went out the first week of May. That's roughly for months now that they had a chance to look at these things and try and figure out what the outcome should be, and to let you know that the Grievances ra Factor, we haven't gotten our official answer letter for our grievances yet.

BigJamesBrown

But we're talking about this contract, not 15 years ago, or whenever it was you went through progression. It boggles my mind that these guys are making such huge increases in their progression rates, but think they are entitled to even more. Granted, if they can get the money out of UPS, more power to them. But they've taken one line of contract language while ignoring the rest and they think it's an ironclad certainty.
Huge increases? You think we shouldn't be fighting for what the contract says we're owed? Now I see why these contracts continuously go in the wrong direction!