Half Empty? NFL

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Mandatory service would probably help both issues.
Absolutely everybody would have to be held to the same qualification standards with no accommodations made.

its not "pussifying" its peaceifying

the US government kills more soldiers in its retarded wars for profit, than the terrorists were fighting.
And reducing and weakening your military isn't "peaceifying", it's opening yourself up for conquer. We don't exactly have a paper chain of handholding going around the world.

rickyb

Absolutely everybody would have to be held to the same qualification standards with no accommodations made.

And reducing and weakening your military isn't "peaceifying", it's opening yourself up for conquer. We don't exactly have a paper chain of handholding going around the world.
the western countries that have small militaries, are they being conquered?

Serf

What isn't helping is that a lot of white Americans are not respecting these players freedom of speech rights. Most of these players come from poor urban and rural backgrounds which which has shaved their own personal views. White America just needs to get used to it cuz it ain't going away anytime soon.
I try to see it from neutral standpoint. However, it's not so much the politics to me as it is a watered down product. QB play is average outside the top 8 guys. Thursday night games suck, London games suck, Football night in America sucks. Games on Sunday strictly played at 1:30 & 4:40 would be ideal. Plus a Monday nighter. Not over exposure, watered down crap.
I'm not even going to speculate about Kaep, and Bennet. What I will say about CTE is this: The NFL is a 10 billion dollar corporation. It's practically the fabric of America. Lawyers know how to get a pound of flesh from them with this CTE hooey. Pro boxers can get punched in the head upwards of half a million times over course of a career, why aren't people lawyering up and coming forward with cases? My guess, no money to be had. I wish boxing was great and could unite working class Americans. Because UFC sucks too.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I agree. But imo over half the youth I see today is unfit for service. Whether it be existing medical issues, overweight, criminal record, etc. Keebler elf kids.
That's why if such a thing were implemented, the standards would have to remain the same across the board for absolutely everybody, if not stricter. Letting any shmuck in is setting yourself up for failure.

bbsam

Staff member
I agree. But imo over half the youth I see today is unfit for service. Whether it be existing medical issues, overweight, criminal record, etc. Keebler elf kids.
I could see some excused medically, certainly not overweight. All the more reason for basic training. And criminals? Probably be the best thing for a lot of them. Leave out the murderers and rapists...maybe.

Also I think the priorities need to be reexamined. Just because a kid can't run a mile in eight minutes or do 40 push-ups doesn't mean he can't be a cyber security expert. Just like college may not be for everyone, maybe basic training can have different paths. The main thing is to expect and develop excellence.

rickyb

Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know: The National Anthem Is a Celebration of Slavery

it would be bizarre to expect African-American players to stand for “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Why? Because it literally celebrates the murder of African-Americans.

Few people know this because we only ever sing the first verse. But read the end of the third verse and you’ll see why “The Star-Spangled Banner” is not just a musical atrocity, it’s an intellectual and moral one, too:

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

“The Star-Spangled Banner,” Americans hazily remember, was written by Francis Scott Key about the Battle of Fort McHenry in Baltimore during the War of 1812.

Then on the night of September 13, 1814, the British bombarded Fort McHenry. Key, seeing the fort’s flag the next morning, was inspired to write the lyrics for “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

So when Key penned “No refuge could save the hireling and slave / From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,” he was taking great satisfaction in the death of slaves who’d freed themselves. His perspective may have been affected by the fact he owned several slaves himself.

With that in mind, think again about the next two lines: “And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave / O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

The reality is that there were human beings fighting for freedom with incredible bravery during the War of 1812. However, “The Star-Spangled Banner” glorifies America’s “triumph” over them — and then turns that reality completely upside down, transforming their killers into the courageous freedom fighters.

rickyb

haha you cant make this stuff up:

Redacted Tonight‏ @RedactedTonight 1h1 hour ago

Wise words from renowned political activist @realDonaldTrump:

DKfZ1R5UQAUbPlp.jpg

tourists24

What is the actual purpose for the kneeling/sitting? To start a conversation? To protest unfair treatment to certain people? Other reasons?

What it has become at this point is pitting one side against the other on who is being a good patriot, the kneelers or the people who feel they are disrespecting our flag and country. What is the end game? What will it take to get those "boycotting" to stand back up? Or what will bring those to angry at that behavior to understand that there is a higher point to those who kneel?

Or does it even matter that we come to understanding one another? Pick a side and screw you if you disagree?

MAKAVELI

What is the actual purpose for the kneeling/sitting? To start a conversation? To protest unfair treatment to certain people? Other reasons?

What it has become at this point is pitting one side against the other on who is being a good patriot, the kneelers or the people who feel they are disrespecting our flag and country. What is the end game? What will it take to get those "boycotting" to stand back up? Or what will bring those to angry at that behavior to understand that there is a higher point to those who kneel?

Or does it even matter that we come to understanding one another? Pick a side and screw you if you disagree?
What is the purpose of any protest? To spark change.