Half hour breaks?

AB831

I would never take a break while waiting for freight. That’s what a 43 is for.
I'm in college full time as well as working full time, so time is just as valuable of a currency as money at this point. I move heaven and earth to try to get off the clock without ever having to take a 60. I try not to think about the financial ramifications of doing that every day.

AB831

Our station has been on a 30 min break schedule since we started the no signature program. As far as taking the 30 minutes break while waiting for late freight. It is something I always do. Even though I lose the extra pay, I get home earlier which is more important to someone at the end of their Fedex career.
I echoed a similar point in my last post. I agree 100%

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Just answer the question. I think you've already proven that you aren't as smart as you think you are, so why don't you just answer him instead of playing games?

"This is not a policy violation" sure looked like an answer to me.

AB831

"This is not a policy violation" sure looked like an answer to me.
Don’t be coy. Everyone is under the impression that it’s against policy to take a break within the first or last hour. You’re saying otherwise and that’s CLEARLY what people are asking you to explain. So why don’t you just explain it instead of trying to be cute?

59 Dano

Don’t be coy. Everyone is under the impression that it’s against policy to take a break within the first or last hour. You’re saying otherwise and that’s CLEARLY what people are asking you to explain. So why don’t you just explain it instead of trying to be cute?

Either it is a policy or it isn't. I said it isn't. The only person who is still confused by a declaration made in plain English is you.

AB831

Either it is a policy or it isn't. I said it isn't. The only person who is still confused by a declaration made in plain English is you.
Okay, you know what I’m talking about, but you’re obviously just going to be difficult for the sake of doing so. So I’m not going to bother wasting the battery on my phone by engaging you further.

Star B

White Lightening
I've had managers corner me going "I told the whole station to go on break and you didn't, why don't you do as I say?" multiple times, sometimes going as far as damn well near insinuating discipline if I don't comply to their orders.

I look at them and go "ok". They have learned to leave me alone because they know I've read up on the rules. It's amazing what happens when your manager likes you because you "bend" alot of safety rules for them for performance. When you start sticking to doing it by the book, you are the worst, slowest, courier they have and the harassment is endless.

59 Dano

Okay, you know what I’m talking about, but you’re obviously just going to be difficult for the sake of doing so. So I’m not going to bother wasting the battery on my phone by engaging you further.

Considering your struggles with plain English, I don't blame you. It isn't a policy of the company. Why do you need a complicated answer when one isn't needed? If you asked me if Tokyo was in France, I'd say no and assume that you wouldn't need further clarification. This question is like that one.

AB831

I've had managers corner me going "I told the whole station to go on break and you didn't, why don't you do as I say?" multiple times, sometimes going as far as damn well near insinuating discipline if I don't comply to their orders.

I look at them and go "ok". They have learned to leave me alone because they know I've read up on the rules. It's amazing what happens when your manager likes you because you "bend" alot of safety rules for them for performance. When you start sticking to doing it by the book, you are the worst, slowest, courier they have and the harassment is endless.
When I was part time I had a manager scream “go home!!” at me in front of the entire sort because he found out that I clocked in at my scheduled time (they bumped the start times back two hours due to snow but didn’t tell me since I was off the previous day). I told him that I’m on break and that I’m going to finish my break and work another hour before going home, to which he replied “get out of here, I’ll fix your time card.” I told him “no, you won’t.” The senior came over and asked what was going on and after I explained it to him, he told me to finish my break and then run my route.

Maui

It is predicated by state law. Policy must follow the law and some states prohibit breaks in the first or last hour. Breaks in the last hour are also an audit item. Breaks in the first hour are not.

Some states have zero break laws for adults. Technically, there should be no break requirement at all in those states. You can check the People Manual under Workplace Practices for the actual policy, which is incredibly vague and the Employment Law Reference Guide.

Typically, over 6 hours with no break is enforced 100%. You'll find the directives for other violations vary by region and/or district.

AB831

Considering your struggles with plain English, I don't blame you. It isn't a policy of the company. Why do you need a complicated answer when one isn't needed? If you asked me if Tokyo was in France, I'd say no and assume that you wouldn't need further clarification. This question is like that one.
I’m an English major with a 4.0 GPA, so my understanding of the language is just fine and more than likely far better than yours. Regardless, that’s a completely idiotic analogy because no one is under the belief that Tokyo is in France. Almost everyone on this thread is under the belief that breaks in the first or last hour are against policy. You said otherwise. Afterwards, Fred’s Myth, myself, and another user clearly asked for clarification, and once again, you’re pretending you don’t know what we’re talking about in some bizarre plan to make us look dumb and make yourself look smart. You’re not stupid. You’re being coy, and you know I’m right.

AB831

It is predicated by state law. Policy must follow the law and some states prohibit breaks in the first or last hour. Breaks in the last hour are also an audit item. Breaks in the first hour are not.

Some states have zero break laws for adults. Technically, there should be no break requirement at all in those states. You can check the People Manual under Workplace Practices for the actual policy, which is incredibly vague and the Employment Law Reference Guide.

Typically, over 6 hours with no break is enforced 100%. You'll find the directives for other violations vary by region and/or district.
Thank you for clarifying.

59 Dano

I’m an English major with a 4.0 GPA, so my understanding of the language is just fine
and more than likely far better than yours. Regardless, that’s a completely idiotic analogy because no one is under the belief that Tokyo is in France. Almost everyone on this thread is under the belief that breaks in the first or last hour are against policy. You said otherwise. Afterwards, Fred’s Myth, myself, and another user clearly asked for clarification, and once again, you’re pretending you don’t know what we’re talking about in some bizarre plan to make us look dumb and make yourself look smart. You’re not stupid. You’re being coy, and you know I’m right.

OK, daddy will cut your steak for you.

I said that a break in the first/last hour of work is not a policy violation. That means that it's not a violation of policy. That means that there is no policy prohibiting break in the first/last hour worked. That means that you are not violating a policy by taking a break in the first/last hour worked.

I'm no English major, let alone an English major with a 4.0 GPA, but I hope that clarifies what is meant when someone says a break in the first or last hour of work isn't a policy violation.

AB831

OK, daddy will cut your steak for you.

I said that a break in the first/last hour of work is not a policy violation. That means that it's not a violation of policy. That means that there is no policy prohibiting break in the first/last hour worked. That means that you are not violating a policy by taking a break in the first/last hour worked.

I'm no English major, let alone an English major with a 4.0 GPA, but I hope that clarifies what is meant when someone says a break in the first or last hour of work isn't a policy violation.
Just can’t turn the smart guy shtick off for one second, can you?

DeliveryException

If that is the case, why do managers give OLCCs for having those "break violations"? I mean OLCCs don't really mean much in the scheme of things just seems odd to give one for something that's not an actual violation.

59 Dano

If that is the case, why do managers give OLCCs for having those "break violations"? I mean OLCCs don't really mean much in the scheme of things just seems odd to give one for something that's not an actual violation.

Some break violations are a bigger issue that others. If you keep committing violations that are a bit of a bigger deal and discipline is warranted, a few OLCCs document that this is something that has been happening in the past and that he has discussed it with you and that you have had notice and opportunity to correct the issue.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Some break violations are a bigger issue that others. If you keep committing violations that are a bit of a bigger deal and discipline is warranted, a few OLCCs document that this is something that has been happening in the past and that he has discussed it with you and that you have had notice and opportunity to correct the issue.
Why is it a “violation” if it’s not against policy?