Half hour breaks?

purplelife

Exactly, what is the purpose of an olcc?
I am asking you, a proclaimed former manager.
Exactly why did you issue a negative olcc?

It's a direct question, I am asking you, personally, a former manager, your reason to issue olcc's?

Don't veer in a different direction, or talk of generalities.

You Dano personally, you specifically.

obviously there arent negative olcc's, they are just documented counselings to show a discussion took place with your manager.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'd love to do so. Where can I find a copy of the company policy? Is that a question you can actually answer?

You mean the 4.0 GPA guy who questions the validity of every comment I make hasn't seen any of our policies and doesn't even know where to look, even though he's been with the company since 2016?

ROTFLAMO!!!!!

It's on the company intranet.

59 Dano

Not me! I’ll spend 30 minutes of my time after work searching the top secret recesses of the Fedex intranet to find Fedex Policy to prove myself right to management. Lol.

You mean instead of just repeating what Cletus heard third-hand from someone else 9 weeks ago on the sort? You'd rather be informed??

You're no fun!

59 Dano

Exactly, what is the purpose of an olcc?

To document a conversation about something that was done.

I am asking you, a proclaimed former manager.
Exactly why did you issue a negative olcc?

Employee did something wrong.

It's a direct question, I am asking you, personally, a former manager, your reason to issue olcc's?

Because an employee did something good or bad that warranted a conversation.

Don't veer in a different direction, or talk of generalities.

You Dano personally, you specifically.

Some folks here, no matter how much I argue with them and trade insults and butt heads, I enjoy conversing with and sincerely appreciate their participation because their input helps make the forum fun and lively. I have no problem offering them as much detail as they want because their interest in a topic are sincere.

floridays

To document a conversation about something that was done.

Employee did something wrong.

Because an employee did something good or bad that warranted a conversation.

Some folks here, no matter how much I argue with them and trade insults and butt heads, I enjoy conversing with and sincerely appreciate their participation because their input helps make the forum fun and lively. I have no problem offering them as much detail as they want because their interest in a topic are sincere.
Exactly why would an employee get an olcc from you if it was not a violation of policy? Excluding the compliment alternative of course.

From you , individually a former manager, I ask you to respond for no one else.

Are olcc's considered in any way in accessing sanctions up to and including termination of an employee?

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The alternative is to take away all management discretion and put everyone at every station under one single rule, for which no exceptions can ever be made under any circumstance.

I'm sure that would go over well.
For a “one size fits all” company like FedEx, you can’t tell me they haven’t tossed the idea around.

floridays

You mean the 4.0 GPA guy who questions the validity of every comment I make hasn't seen any of our policies and doesn't even know where to look, even though he's been with the company since 2016?

ROTFLAMO!!!!!

It's on the company intranet.
Has Fedex ever issued a copy of the people manual to each employee?

I do not speak of the condensed model.

SmithBarney

What does it matter when you take your break? You are off the clock whether you are milling about waiting or sitting in your truck in a gas station parking lot?
Because it's not just a break, it's a rest period, designed and regulated by the DOT to ensure you are well rested and not a hazard on the road. That is why its suggested to be taken between your 3rd and 6th hour.

!Retired!

I'll start by saying I have taken ONE 1 hour break in the last 13 years. They announced at the morning meeting we had to take an hour break. That day I did. Luckily, the next morning we had a meeting with our Director. I asked, in front of everyone including the managers, 'We were told we needed to take an hour break. Has the policy changed, or can we still take 30 minutes?' Her, response 'No, the policy hasn't changed. You can still take only 30 minute, if you want'. Managers faces turned red.
It's also my understanding (not sure if it's accurate), it depends on state law. But, according to FMCSA, you can only take 30, if you choose. You can read that here
Summary of Hours of Service Regulations | FMCSA
Why didn't you politely decline and take your 30 later on?
I told that to a particular manager. His response "Okay, I'm giving you a directive...go on break with everyone else" Since this is a manager that watches every move I make and I didn't know the EXACT wording of the policy, I did. Never did that again.....unless I wanted to.
Because by taking your break during the sort you’re losing 30 minutes a day.
How? A 30 minute break at, say, 8:00am is the same as 30 minutes at 12:00. Unless you take a break at both times.
Our station has been on a 30 min break schedule since we started the no signature program. As far as taking the 30 minutes break while waiting for late freight. It is something I always do. Even though I lose the extra pay, I get home earlier which is more important to someone at the end of their Fedex career.
You don't lose anything unless you take another break onroad.
Has Fedex ever issued a copy of the people manual to each employee?
I do not speak of the condensed model.
The policy book is, if I remember correctly, over 400 pages. The 'People Manual' is about the same. Besides, you can easily look them both up on the intranet.