Handshake for 705 this morning

drewed

Shankman
This issue need to be adrressed on the national level with support from all.

You can see my arguments were about language and starting wages for ptimers. Im not saying that we beat the company into submission. I have already apoligized to the ptimers for not being able to do better.
yea no ones blaming you, theres no reason to apologize it should have been a nationwide thing...i was a sorter for a year and its a b*itch to live with 100 dollar paychecks (i was working a 2nd ft job too most of the time)
as a sup it sucks trying to keep people working for 8.50 but youre right it is what it is, theres a niche at the moment UPS is profitable and stable where a lot of companies arent and people want that job security (even if its only a couple hundred a month)

K

keeping it real

Hey Red
no act of God- no working period.
maybe it should be:
-you miss a pickup a warning letter/ suspension / discharge/ period
-you bring back a piece a warning letter/ suspension / discharge/ period
-you mis deliver a package a warning letter/ suspension / discharge/ period

its funny how everyone wants 8 chances but management working gets none..
it's easy to deal in the black and white world with no gray area.

drewed

Shankman
I think the last contract was good for the ptimers they got the catch up raises, we were once pt, but we need to see more participation(union involvement) on their part. They are not as involved as the full-timers(I am saying the majority of the pt)

Yea, this past NMA was the first time the local set up sessions for just the pters to voice concerns, participation lacked to say the least they probably wont have them next negotiation

A

Anonymous peon

Hey Red
maybe it should be:

That is how it is where i work! Everything is artical 17-I.

K

keeping it real

Think about it for a second-
everyday people make a conscious decision to come to UPS and work as a parttimer.

you have to figure that:
A. they applied for other jobs
B. the wittled down all their offers and this was the best one they could find
C. noone put a gun to their head to take this job
D. they read the contract and understand that what their pay will be till the end of the contract.
E. they are free to quit and take a better opporunity the minute they find it

now lets fast forward- all of a sudden everyone says their getting screwed.
I refer you back to A. B. and C. and D.

Am I missing something??
Is it just me..
Help me with some wisdom/

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hey Red
maybe it should be:
OK---we could try that---but its going to have to work both ways.
maybe it should also be:
-you fail to honor my 8 hr request per the contract warning letter/suspension/discharge/period
-you fail to honor the over 9.5 contract language and relieve me of excessive overtime warning letter/suspension/discharge/period.
-you get caught allowing subcontracting warning letter/suspension/discharge/period

"Consequences: they aren't just for hourlies anymore."

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hey Red
maybe it should be:

Why would you be working? Maybe you cant get enough people at $8.50 an hour? Or you are trying to cut costs and send people home because the sups are slary not effecting the operations costs?

You do my job and i will file and get paid $56 in double time for every hour you work.

Maybe you sups should organize and get some union representation but until then you have no rights.

oakcreekteamie

As a Pt package handler i understand that where i am is only for the present and soon i will be able to move up in the ladder, i am a student who is working two jobs during the summer and using the Tuition Reimbursement. 8.50 an hour does suck but its the other benefits that replace the cost. Yes, it is hard work but like i said, i know i will not always be in the position i am now.

over9five

Staff member
Oakcreek, what is the current deal for tuition reimbursement? You owe UPS a certain amount of years as a sup, correct?

oakcreekteamie

Oakcreek, what is the current deal for tuition reimbursement? You owe UPS a certain amount of years as a sup, correct?

HR told me that upon my hiring any classes i take i should give them the receipt at the end of the semester and they will reimburse me the money spent. Learn & Earn or Earn & Learn whatever it is applies to Part-time employees (any anybody else i think...) and you dont need to have so many years as a sup.

over9five

Staff member
So basicly you owe them nothing other than coming to work. That's a great deal!

I wonder if it's the same everywhere, I'm sure I've heard people say they owe so many years as a sup.

oakcreekteamie

So basicly you owe them nothing other than coming to work. That's a great deal!

I wonder if it's the same everywhere, I'm sure I've heard people say they owe so many years as a sup.

I know! That is one of the reasons why I wanted the job so bad. My mom pays for my schooling so I will be getting a check 3,000 dollar check a year with my name on it for just going to school!! :happy-very:

HR told me that upon my hiring any classes i take i should give them the receipt at the end of the semester and they will reimburse me the money spent. Learn & Earn or Earn & Learn whatever it is applies to Part-time employees (any anybody else i think...) and you dont need to have so many years as a sup.

When I was doing earn and learn I had to fill out paperwork and submit it before classes started and then jump through a bunch of hoops submitting all kinds of paperwork at the end. I hope your process is smoother.

K

keeping it real

the number one way to improve pensions is to:
a. get companies to dump more and more many in and reduce their profits and drag share price down

b. make sure companies earn good profits creating job growth, increasing share price and helping pension plans investments grow

c. nickel and dime companies for supervisors working

the answer is clearly b.
the reasoning- imagine what your teamster plan would look like if the stock market was 30% higher... or maybe 40% or even 50%....
so yeah let's find out how to punish companies, make them less competitive and nickel and dime them to death. let's make them focus on pickey-une nonsense instead of going out and winning new volume to create new jobs..

Go talk to the unions at GM and Ford and ask them if they had to do it all over again- what would they do differently..

finaddict

.70 first year and .05 remaining years? This I will vote no--------
Yeah, that's gonna be a hard sell. But nothing was lost and 705's brief on what was gained looked OK (at best). The PT will never see a pay increase until the FT are willing to take smaller increases which I for one have no problem with. The combo jobs are helping and my hub has new combos posted quite frequently. The national was nothing great either especially as it pertained to increasing FT progression but at least we have a few more years of "job security".

H

HelpingOut

We ended up with the split raise as such:
2008...$0.70
2009...$0.75
2010...$0.75
2011...$0.85
2012...$0.95
That's four dollars over five years increase in wages.
:)

paidslave

Calm down, thats a typo in the paper. The actual numbers have been posted by Red.

I Have faith in RED but the paper is calling for .05 increase for remaining years. I hope this is a definate typo. I have read this in 2 different articles so maybe someone can post the facts!