Thegameisrigged

Heard my center loses RDO starting tomorrow. Going to be a fantastic Friday, honestly dreading it.
So what’s the solution if it doesn’t work? I haven’t heard anything yet about them going back to RDO if/when ODO fails. Is the only solution dropping the stop count?

MC0493

One of the many thoughts on my mind. I could see myself ignoring the diad and running routes based on how i know to run them, but i suppose you can only go against the current for just so long.

bumped

There are days I just deliver off the shelves in order like the old days. I've also gone out without Orion downloaded, and management really hates that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So
It’ll be impossible for them to enforce Orion during peak. They would have to put the boards back in RDO at least for that season. No way we can run Orion with a truck jammed with 500 prices and 350+ stops. It’ll be a suicide mission if they tried.
They will do it anyway, because they are stupid.

soberups

would it blow your mind if i told you almost every one of those things can be planned into ORION?
Please explain to me the “logic” in loading a blown out car in RDO order, and then preventing the driver from being able to access RDO in the DIAD.
Please explain to me the “logic” in expecting a driver in a blown out car to dig a single package off of the middle of the 8000 shelf.
Please explain to me how ORION will know that a particular pickup will be heavy enough that the driver will be compelled to get irregs and large packages delivered...regardless of location...in order to contain the incoming pickup volume.
ORION is a fascinating excercise in map theory but it is not applicable to delivering and picking up packages in real time and space. And if you had any actual real-world experience as a driver, you would understand that.

Last edited:

Thegameisrigged

Please explain to me the logic in loading a blown out car in RDO order, and then preventing the driver from being able to access RDO in the DIAD.
Please explain to me the logic in expecting a driver in a blown out car to dig a single package off of the middle of the 8000 shelf.
Please explain to me how ORION will know that a particular pickup will be heavy enough that the driver will be compelled to get irregs and large packages delivered...regardless of location...in order to contain the incoming pickup volume.
ORION is a fascinating excercise in map theory but it is not applicable to delivering and picking up packages in real time and space. And if you had any actual real-world experience as a driver, you would understand that.
Exactly. As of right now, I beat Orion miles, time, and I manage less than .25 of over allow. When I look at the Orion computer it has me going all over the place and has me doing my last stop at around 8 PM or so. I’m usually home sitting on the sofa watching TV at that time. I can only imagine how bad it’s going to be when they make us use that system. It’s going to be fun on one side but frustrating on the other side because I’ll be forced to work in an idiotic manner. They will either have to drop to stop count dramatically or they will have to put it back like I have it now.

soberups

the company will be adding turn by turn GPS to the diads in all of the centers, getting rid of all the stick shifts, and purchasing more package cars so that they can add more routes to be able to have low volume on each route so that anyone can handle the routes. They have already started doing all three of these things at my center. They will do all of this to be able to replace us easily when we go on strike. The company wants us to go on strike so that they can replace all of us right away. Hoffa will be paid off and he will go dancing off into the sunset and UPS will no longer be a Union company.
We have had 4 on car supervisors quit in the last year.
The company would not even be able to provide uniforms for replacements, much less train them.
The forced stupidity of ORION makes an already challenging job even harder. The idea that an untrained new hire could simply follow ORION around by GPS is laughable. No one with any actual experience believes that is possible.

Thegameisrigged

We have had 4 on car supervisors quit in the last year.
The company would not even be able to provide uniforms for replacements, much less train them.
The forced stupidity of ORION makes an already challenging job even harder. The idea that an untrained new hire could simply follow ORION around by GPS is laughable. No one with any actual experience believes that is possible.
Oh we shall see what happens. All I know is that I will be filing 9.5 after those first three days of missing 9.5. And I will miss 9.5. There is no way in hell I can manage to do 200+ stops in a packed truck and be able to make it back to the building and clocked out at 7:30 if I have to dig through the load all day.

soberups

I'm torn between not wanting to be forced to work like an idiot and sticking it to them and crashing and burning.
I have been tempted to follow ORION before, just to make a point, but I cant bring myself to do it. I have some sort of mental block that will simply not allow me to act with that level of intentional, abject stupidity. Its like being told to intentionally crap in my pants; having a diaper on wouldn’t matter, that mental block would just lock me up and I would not be able to overcome it.

Thegameisrigged

I have been tempted to follow ORION before, just to make a point, but I cant bring myself to do it. I have some sort of mental block that will simply not allow me to act with that level of intentional, abject stupidity. Its like being told to intentionally crap in my pants; having a diaper on wouldn’t matter, that mental block would just lock me up and I would not be able to overcome it.
True dat.

soberups

551715EA-4AA3-473D-9CC1-399AB20D478C.png

late_air

Name? Can't. If I knew it Id just type it. I can't
Our center hasn't implemented the no RDO yet (although I have heard many rumors of it starting very soon) but since I've been driving (only 2 years) they have definitely been strict on posting the daily report of your miles and trace % on the wall every morning. I've mastered my route RDO and know exactly how to skip around to do it in less miles than orion (and make perfect service) but I'm always around 65% on trace (they've never giving me grief because they know what my truck looks like in the morning). I usually have around 400 pieces. If they shut off RDO they can say goodbye to their numbers (bonuses) because I'm not gonna scroll around all day to make sure I make perfect service on every business that it thinks is residential when they won't even pull me aside in the morning to ask how to fix my jacked up RDO in the first place which I have told them about.

Thegameisrigged

Our center hasn't implemented the no RDO yet (although I have heard many rumors of it starting very soon) but since I've been driving (only 2 years) they have definitely been strict on posting the daily report of your miles and trace % on the wall every morning. I've mastered my route RDO and know exactly how to skip around to do it in less miles than orion (and make perfect service) but I'm always around 65% on trace (they've never giving me grief because they know what my truck looks like in the morning). I usually have around 400 pieces. If they shut off RDO they can say goodbye to their numbers (bonuses) because I'm not gonna scroll around all day to make sure I make perfect service on every business that it thinks is residential when they won't even pull me aside in the morning to ask how to fix my jacked up RDO in the first place which I have told them about.
Oh well. Your time will be coming to make your statement just like everyone else. You’ll make some extra money while making it. Lol.

soberups

Supervisor: “I need you to deliver these three left in building stops from adjacent routes that aren’t in your EDD. And we may need your help containing a heavy pickup off of another route, we will let you know by 3:00. And can you please take this pup trailer out, deliver what is in it, and pick it up at the end of the night, the regular driver is gone and his replacement isnt certified to pull a pup. And you may need to help him finish.”
Me (when allowed to use RDO and think for myself): “Ok no problem.”

Me (When forced to follow ORION): “sorry, cant help you, I have to do what ORION says.”