Hoffa Jr's and Dennis Taylor's hidden agenda revealed!

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
The 50% participation and two-thirds majority thresholds have been in place at least since the 90s. This isn't breaking news. Maybe the business agents and officers of the "vote no" movement should've informed their members about that part of the Constitution. If those same business agents failed to disclose that information what else are they falling short on?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The 50% participation and two-thirds majority thresholds have been in place at least since the 90s. This isn't breaking news. Maybe the business agents and officers of the "vote no" movement should've informed their members about that part of the Constitution. If those same business agents failed to disclose that information what else are they falling short on?

Would that information really have made a difference? I would suggest probably not. The people who didn't care to vote wouldn't likely have decided to vote based on that knowledge.

Tony Q

What % of full time employees voted?

How many voted on the Strike Authorization?
Strike authorization was just over 50 thousand. That is pitiful. You wanted it and you got it. That’s the might of the membership and your weak vote no movement.

Think about this next time you think you and the vote no people are so tough. That is what we had to work with. Now do you see why I think you can go to hell. You have zero understanding of what was at stake and what there is to work with. You and anyone who
Did things for political gain should feel very ashamed. 51,000. That’s scary.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Strike authorization was just over 50 thousand. That is pitiful. You wanted it and you got it. That’s the might of the membership and your weak vote no movement.

Think about this next time you think you and the vote no people are so tough. That is what we had to work with. Now do you see why I think you can go to hell. You have zero understanding of what was at stake and what there is to work with. You and anyone who
Did things for political gain should feel very ashamed. 51,000. That’s scary.

200-1.gif

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
Would that information really have made a difference? I would suggest probably not. The people who didn't care to vote wouldn't likely have decided to vote based on that knowledge.
My point is if people would've been informed of the constitutional rule they wouldn't be shocked by it right now. My position is that a business agent should tell the members about ALL of the possible outcomes, not just the position their rooting for. The main problem is lack of participation. There was an uptick in voter turnout but nowhere near what it should've been for how easy it was.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My point is if people would've been informed of the constitutional rule they wouldn't be shocked by it right now. My position is that a business agent should tell the members about ALL of the possible outcomes, not just the position their rooting for. The main problem is lack of participation. There was an uptick in voter turnout but nowhere near what it should've been for how easy it was.

Anyone who is shocked by this needs to take stock of themselves before blaming the leadership. It's possible that many people in leadership were unclear on how the rules worked. Now that they have come into play, it will be much harder to sneak them by us. It seems the only way to send the negotiators back to the table without the threat of a strike is at the two man meeting. We, as members, should have that ability as well.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Anyone who is shocked by this needs to take stock of themselves before blaming the leadership. It's possible that many people in leadership were unclear on how the rules worked. Now that they have come into play, it will be much harder to sneak them by us. It seems the only way to send the negotiators back to the table without the threat of a strike is at the two man meeting. We, as members, should have that ability as well.
They didn't sneak it by me???

I've been posting it here for months and asked the Central Region Director, before roughly 80 witnesses at our contract review meeting, if this was a "final offer".

His answer was clearly "I don't know", which he vowed to get us the correct information of any unanswered questions before the meeting started.

@BigUnionGuy also dodged the question here repeatedly, and while it wasn't his duty to answer it here, it certainly was the CRD's when asked at an official contract meeting while chairing the meeting from the podium.

Oddly enough, nobody ever got back with me with the answer as to whether it was a "final offer"....now this.

Was that just an oversight, or was it a tactic???
I'm going with a back pocket tactic.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

No. He is paying for union representation. If he wants to vote, he needs to put in his time like everybody else.

We pay union dues to be part of the union not just for union representation.

You don't like the results that's fine but to take it out on a group that you have no idea is even the group that screwed you is weak.

I know plenty of high seniority drivers that have never voted. Also many that voted yes because it didnt affect them. Hell every feeder driver I know voted yes because it was going to boost their pension. Should we not allow them to vote also because they are only thinking of themselves?

BrownRecycler

1 year would be better than the current system. 5 years would be ideal. Once an employee has been there for 5 years, they are interested in the future of UPS.

We don't have lot of 5 years union member in our facility. People that have work longer will usually quit between 2-7 years. I says approximately 15 people have 5 years and up out of 320 members per shift.

And, remember, you can't based it off of truck drivers or the $40 an hour an hour.

Honestly, focus on the part where lot of people are ignoring new people that aren't used to union culture, this is the problem that I foreseen. When truck drivers campaign then acts like they feel package handler's pain by sprinkling $15 an hour. This isn't enough. Packager handler should get same amount of attention as truck driver. And, that isn't how I saw it in the election.

Although Tyler made an impact on the election, the views on the YouTube doesn't add enough compared to those who voted and doesn't vote. It isn't like people who are new is going to start looking for video on UPS. And, those that do is trying to learn how does UPS looks when applying for the job. There are few UPS whiners on YouTube that can says what they don't like about UPS.

You have to really ask yourself. Did I spend the time with new member about what it meant to be in the union? I have. They don't know what the contract is and trying to figure out what a "Teamster" is let alone the purpose of the union dues. I tell them it is an insurance to protect you on the job.

From now on, you need to teach the union culture to new people. When you aren't busy and standing around near your truck in the facility, talk to them and tell them what it meant to be in a union.

Last edited:

Mooseknuckle

My real concern with all of this comes from the report that Taylor was going to push this through if we didn't hit the threshold. I good negotiator would actually wait until the data from voting came in before deciding something like that. Then they could have made a reasonable decision from said data. That right there shows they didn't care what the workers wanted one way or the other. Any thoughts on that @T T?
He's not a negotiator, he's a yes man.

Mooseknuckle

I don't like the idea of splitting part timer's vote in half.

People can work 2 part time shifts.

And, you will still have voter that didn't voted counted as less than 50%.

How about instead make it more about the eligibility to vote like seniority? The new people aren't used to union culture and won't pay too much attention to voting. And, those who is going to quit the revolving door company is definitely not going to vote and let it goes up in smoke.

10,000 people that are eligible to vote aren't like to vote because they are quitting the company. Imagine that?
That does sound better. Only allowing full-timers to vote could also be used to pass a bad contract.