How much does your Ground Contractor pay you?

UnionGuy

I'm in the Los Angeles area and was wondering what is the pay for a Ground driver? Is it salary or hourly? Bonuses for finishing early?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
0EE66752-4962-4E17-9307-B14209120BCF.jpeg

bacha29

I'm in the Los Angeles area and was wondering what is the pay for a Ground driver? Is it salary or hourly? Bonuses for finishing early?
You'll find your answer by looking at nationwide job boards with an FXG specific category . But, I must warn to be prepared for the shock of your life.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I know one driver. Doesn't plan on doing it longterm, just as a stopgap between jobs. Does around 70 stops/day, never works more than 7 hours, gets around $140/day, for whatever that's worth. No bennies and no PTO that I know of, but he doesn't plan on being there long.

bacha29

I know one driver. Doesn't plan on doing it longterm, just as a stopgap between jobs. Does around 70 stops/day, never works more than 7 hours, gets around $140/day, for whatever that's worth. No bennies and no PTO that I know of, but he doesn't plan on being there long.
Exactly Dano. it's never going to be more than transitional employment . Just a job between jobs. Something to tide people over until a job they can truly commit themselves to comes along. Therefore knowing that I would never have workforce stability because I couldn't pay what would be required to establish that stability I chose not to place anymore money at risk in the face of that reality along with a vague and ambiguous one year contract.

bacha29

Contractor in my area offering 800 dollars pre tax for a 6 day a week schedule.
And base it on a 60-70 hour workweek and you'll see that if converted to a wage it would be $11.42-13.33 per hour all straight time and probably zero employer funded benefits . It really and truly is fast food wages.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Exactly Dano. it's never going to be more than transitional employment . Just a job between jobs. Something to tide people over until a job they can truly commit themselves to comes along. Therefore knowing that I would never have workforce stability because I couldn't pay what would be required to establish that stability I chose not to place anymore money at risk in the face of that reality along with a vague and ambiguous one year contract.
But your vast expertise put you in an excellent position to go into competition and show the world how it should be done, but you didn't.

All you do is criticize those who are wearing the moccasins you refuse to walk in.

How come all FedEx ground drivers smoke Newports, have a dashboard full of soft drinks , snacks and don't close their bulkhead door?

bacha29

But your vast expertise put you in an excellent position to go into competition and show the world how it should be done, but you didn't.

All you do is criticize those who are wearing the moccasins you refuse to walk in.
Wrong again. What I'm pointing to is the ongoing race to the bottom of the cheap rate freight business and the slow erosion of the family sustaining wage and benefit structure that once gave the industry a modest but meaningful sense of honor and professionalism. I sold and retired because I refused to become a part of it and that's something your Old Fart style personal attacks can't take away.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Some guys do it as a job to tide them over and some stick with it. Not my problem either way and I don't care why they do it.

bacha29

Some guys do it as a job to tide them over and some stick with it. Not my problem either way and I don't care why they do it.
But Dano people want equal pay for equal work. And Ground contractors want the best and need the best because it's absolutely imperative that they get the best but you have to be able to pay the best and contractors given the increasing economic constraints can't do that. Then again if you are in a part of the country where you have a hug labor pool to draw from you can better tolerate the enormous turnover. But if you're not then it's a perilous path you're walking down.