How much does your Ground Contractor pay you?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
But Dano people want equal pay for equal work. And Ground contractors want the best and need the best because it's absolutely imperative that they get the best but you have to be able to pay the best and contractors given the increasing economic constraints can't do that. Then again if you are in a part of the country where you have a hug labor pool to draw from you can better tolerate the enormous turnover. But if you're not then it's a perilous path you're walking down.
Ad infinitum, ad nauseam, ad mortem.

Serf

Veteran Ground drivers I know on my route are around 22$ an hr. Average 80-100 deliveries & 20 heavy pickups. M-friend.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Wow simple question that no one can answer with a straight face.
When there are tens if not hundreds of correct answers, a simple answer is not possible.
It's up to the contractor, and the contractor isn't required to have a uniform pay scale. It becomes whatever is required to hire and retain each individual.

So, no, it's not a simple question.

fedx

Extra Large Package

This isn't just a problem with Ground. I know where I'm at they can't keep Express couriers either. They have a rotating door of employees. You'll see someone new starting and a couple of months later you'll ask "what happened to so and so" and always get "they quit" as the answer. Nobody wants to be micromanaged with a high stress physical job and earn mid teen hourly pay. They can go get a customer service job in a heated/air conditioned office and make the same pay. FedEx needs to understand that you pay according to how crappy the job is. You have a job that you can't keep people sticking with it, then you need to raise the pay until you find people that are willing to stay at that rate.

bacha29

Ground contractor in my area pays $150/day. But I’m not in LA like the OP asked.

That’s why I suggested looking at local job listings. :shrugs:
That's pretty much the norm nationwide All straight time zero benefits and that rate has changed little over the past 3-4 years. Not to mention 70 hour workweeks are becoming more the norm than they exception.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I guess my contractors pay me just a tad better...

cashews-loaded-nutsack-side_1024x1024.png

Yeah, with some vehicles under the 10,000 lb. limit, they can ask for more hours from those drivers driving them...

bbsam

Staff member
That's pretty much the norm nationwide All straight time zero benefits and that rate has changed little over the past 3-4 years. Not to mention 70 hour workweeks are becoming more the norm than they exception.
Do you know how many times we worked 70 hour weeks this past year including peak?

Zero.

For a guy who hasn’t been in the game for a long time, you seem to spout off a lot about it.

I currently make 50k a year after I got a raise, before that I was around 45k

I don’t get where the 15 dollars an hour comes from no one I know gets paid that low unless they are dumb and don’t know any better

bacha29

Do you know how many times we worked 70 hour weeks this past year including peak?

Zero.

For a guy who hasn’t been in the game for a long time, you seem to spout off a lot about it.
Guys at the terminal i was at during this peak season were working 5-12's and 10 on Saturdays. The truck deployment out in the rural areas is shadow. Come in at 7 AM and struggle to get back in by 7-8PM.. Contractors aren't paying OT just a straight flat per diem and piling the boxes on them because they were so shorthanded.

bacha29

nope no pension but after a year we do get a week and my contractor does offer health insurance

It’s not a great job but theres worse out there for less money and I’m HD I would never do ground
Offer it but who pays the premiums ? More importantly are you paid OT or what we're seeing more of.... paid by the stop which is a one way trip to permanent disability.

Offer it but who pays the premiums ? More importantly are you paid OT or what we're seeing more of.... paid by the stop which is a one way trip to permanent disability.

My OT is basically a dollar per stop after a certain number. I have brought home after taxes $1000 a week during peak.

I try to get there early so even if I have 200 stops if I go fast I’ll be home by 8 or 9