How much does your Ground Contractor pay you?

bacha29

My OT is basically a dollar per stop after a certain number I have brought home after taxes $1000 a week during peak.
Should of known paid by the stop. So all you have to ask yourself is how long you can withstand the physical beating and what will become of you when you can no longer do so? An important question especially with no employer funded healthcare, pension and disability plan .

The job is an absolute joint killer and so who's going to hire you when your knees and hips are shot and your 54 years old?

Should of known paid by the stop. So all you have to ask yourself is how long you can withstand the physical beating and what will become of you when you can no longer do so? An important question especially with no employer funded healthcare, pension and disability plan .

The job is an absolute joint killer and so who's going to hire you when your knees and hips are shot and your 54 years old?

I’m good with money, I have a bank account with good interest rate and I’m single with no kids so I’m saving up pretty well

If I find a better job that will pay close to what I make at FXG then I’m out because they are very unorganized at my terminal

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Heh, I'm similar to @Drivebford , hated ground ops, just because of the pickups & substantially more business stops.

Almost all residential for me & no stress. I was done way too early tonight just before 19:00; was expecting more cargo

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
But Dano people want equal pay for equal work. And Ground contractors want the best and need the best because it's absolutely imperative that they get the best but you have to be able to pay the best and contractors given the increasing economic constraints can't do that. Then again if you are in a part of the country where you have a hug labor pool to draw from you can better tolerate the enormous turnover. But if you're not then it's a perilous path you're walking down.

I'm a big boy, I can handle it.

59 Dano

That's pretty much the norm nationwide All straight time zero benefits and that rate has changed little over the past 3-4 years. Not to mention 70 hour workweeks are becoming more the norm than they exception.

IOW, the pay is good enough to attract enough employees who are good enough to do the job. If the turnover is bad enough, the contractors will pay more.

bacha29

IOW, the pay is good enough to attract enough employees who are good enough to do the job. If the turnover is bad enough, the contractors will pay more.
But Dano sooner or later you're going to end up having to give the guy everything the route makes just to get him to run it if he's even willing to do it for that.

As for turnover not only are you paying a guy while he's training you're paying the guy who's training the guy your paying while he's training. All the while together they're not generating much in the way of revenue. These are the true costs when it comes to turnover and it adds up and after awhile you get tired of having to go through the same routine over and over again. But, you're only going to get just so much money out of Fat Freddy and if what he gives you falls short of what you need to offer to attract and retain and willing and qualified applicants.... well....that's your problem.

But, in the end the law of diminishing returns always wins out.

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
Do you know how many times we worked 70 hour weeks this past year including peak?

Zero.

For a guy who hasn’t been in the game for a long time, you seem to spout off a lot about it.

BBSAM always endeavors to pay his drivers what he feels they are worth. Unfortunately for him, there are minimum wage laws that interfere with this endeavor.

59 Dano

But Dano sooner or later you're going to end up having to give the guy everything the route makes just to get him to run it if he's even willing to do it for that.

As for turnover not only are you paying a guy while he's training you're paying the guy who's training the guy your paying while he's training. All the while together they're not generating much in the way of revenue. These are the true costs when it comes to turnover and it adds up and after awhile you get tired of having to go through the same routine over and over again. But, you're only going to get just so much money out of Fat Freddy and if what he gives you falls short of what you need to offer to attract and retain and willing and qualified applicants.... well....that's your problem.

But, in the end the law of diminishing returns always wins out.

You don't understand the law of diminishing returns. You also act as though the cost of labor is escalating at a much steeper rate than it really is.

bacha29

You don't understand the law of diminishing returns. You also act as though the cost of labor is escalating at a much steeper rate than it really is.
The law of diminishing returns is rather simple. You're making less from the same endeavor than you were a few years earlier and there's no indication that the pattern will reverse itself anytime soon
Of course the cost of labor doesn't escalate when you see contractors offering the same pay on public job boards that they offered several years earlier which might help to explain the complete and utter service failure a number of terminals nationwide incurred . Boxes piled up everywhere sitting there for days on end which created a feeding frenzy for a ratings hungry local media.

You can't MAKE people take not only the employment period but put forth the kind of effort and dedication needed if the pay isn't in balance with what is demanded of them.

Clearly there is one basic economic principle you don't understand......You get what you pay for.

59 Dano

The law of diminishing returns is rather simple. You're making less from the same endeavor than you were a few years earlier and there's no indication that the pattern will reverse itself anytime soon

That's not the law of diminishing returns. The law of diminishing returns is that the marginal benefit of an increase in one factor of production will eventually begin to decrease as that factor is increased.

Of course the cost of labor doesn't escalate when you see contractors offering the same pay on public job boards that they offered several years earlier which might help to explain the complete and utter service failure a number of terminals nationwide incurred . Boxes piled up everywhere sitting there for days on end which created a feeding frenzy for a ratings hungry local media.

You can't MAKE people take not only the employment period but put forth the kind of effort and dedication needed if the pay isn't in balance with what is demanded of them.

Why aren't there mass shortages of Ground drivers?

Clearly there is one basic economic principle you don't understand......You get what you pay for.

That's true, you do get what you pay for. How much did you pay for your education?

bacha29

That's not the law of diminishing returns. The law of diminishing returns is that the marginal benefit of an increase in one factor of production will eventually begin to decrease as that factor is increased.

Why aren't there mass shortages of Ground drivers?

That's true, you do get what you pay for. How much did you pay for your education?
1. You explanation is a more complex way saying you're putting more money at risk but getting less out of it. Need and example? XG contracting is a prime example of it.

2. Depends on what you call mass. When it starts piling up in terminals in the manner that it did this peak season and you're a contractor and those are your boxes piling up more everyday and it's because you simply do NOT have the people because nobody's biting on your offer and the TM is demanding a solution NOW I'd say that's a mass shortage .

3. As for my education? Let me answer it this way. How much did your Mommy and Daddy pay for yours? Whatever they paid for it they should ask for their money back.

59 Dano

1. You explanation is a more complex way saying you're putting more money at risk but getting less out of it. Need and example? XG contracting is a prime example of it.

No. I'm saying that the marginal productivity of any production unit decreases, assuming all other factors are held constant. Ground isn't an example of that.

2. Depends on what you call mass. When it starts piling up in terminals in the manner that it did this peak season and you're a contractor and those are your boxes piling up more everyday and it's because you simply do NOT have the people because nobody's biting on your offer and the TM is demanding a solution NOW I'd say that's a mass shortage .

BBSam mentioned in a prior thread that he is contractually obligated to take out a certain number of stops; not the contractor's issue if there are too many.

3. As for my education? Let me answer it this way. How much did your Mommy and Daddy pay for yours? Whatever they paid for it they should ask for their money back.

I'm guessing your education involved boxtops from breakfast cereals.

bacha29

No. I'm saying that the marginal productivity of any production unit decreases, assuming all other factors are held constant. Ground isn't an example of that.

BBSam mentioned in a prior thread that he is contractually obligated to take out a certain number of stops; not the contractor's issue if there are too many.

I'm guessing your education involved boxtops from breakfast cereals.

BBSam also mentioned that he signed the addendum to take on additional stops and regretted it. No surprise because while you can sign a contract there's nothing in that's binding upon that company because there's no governing legal authority in place that can make them abide by it. As a result they have and will continue to do whatever they damn well please with that very same "what are you going to do about it attitude" Very few terminals if any fund the cost of temps to go out and do battle with peak season overflow anymore. If the boxes pile up in your sector it's your problem to get them where they're supposed to go no matter what the language says. I know that this is difficult for you to cope with but your company will never set any performance records when it comes to integrity .

It truly is sad to see how the considerable public funds that were invested in your education have yielded so little. No wonder we've got a deficit.

It will be fine

BBSam also mentioned that he signed the addendum to take on additional stops and regretted it. No surprise because while you can sign a contract there's nothing in that's binding upon that company because there's no governing legal authority in place that can make them abide by it. As a result they have and will continue to do whatever they damn well please with that very same "what are you going to do about it attitude" Very few terminals if any fund the cost of temps to go out and do battle with peak season overflow anymore. If the boxes pile up in your sector it's your problem to get them where they're supposed to go no matter what the language says. I know that this is difficult for you to cope with but your company will never set any performance records when it comes to integrity .

It truly is sad to see how the considerable public funds that were invested in your education have yielded so little. No wonder we've got a deficit.
I covered all my volume and sent drivers to other stations to help deliver at truly obscene rates of pay.

There is clearly a systemic problem though with Ground. The failures weren’t localized this peak, they were all over the place. Something needs to change.

Csdsm18

Ok I'm a former Fedex express courier to RTD left making 23.32hr. Worked overnights getting 45hrs a week, one time in my 5yrs working at Express I made $1000 after taxes, weekly take home was about $750-780. Had a better opportunity so I went for it. That was UPS air freight. They hired me at $21hr after a month let me go do to it slowing down. In the meantime I was looking for work elsewhere while trying to apply for unemployment. I stumbled across a contractor at Ground that was extremely close to home compared to express and ups about 1hr 30mins everday commute was very tiring especially all the traffic every morning. This Ground contractor offers health benefits but no retirement. They pay me 250 a day usually work 7-9hrs a day any extra work or extra stops they pay me extra for it. I'm bringing home close to $900 a week working 40-45hrs tops a week. All in all I can't complain but like someone else said this isn't long term I look everyday for something better but haven't found anything yet. I was offered my job back at ups but the commute is pretty tiring when I'm spoiled now with a 10min drive. Luckily I think I'm with a pretty decent contractor so taking it day by day. Just gotta get on with the right one. Fyi everyone RTD is tractor trailer work. Also I'm working days. Huge perk in my eyes.

59 Dano

It's interesting to watch you wander from one rambling topic to another.

Contractors have a degree of control of how much they'll take on. I'm sorry if you have to ignore that in order to justify more rambling. Oh, and kudos for finding a way to work in "no governing legal authority" talking point that still doesn't make any sense.

Let's talk about a concept that even a guys whose education involved cereal boxtops can (possibly) grasp. If the freight levels are rising as much as guys on here say they are, then Ground has no choice but to fork over more money to get it delivered. You always act as if all components of the business are static and everyone is stuck with no other option but to get screwed.

dmac1

I was done way too early tonight just before 19:00; was expecting more cargo

Getting home at 7 pm is not normal for Americans. Thinking that getting home that late is 'way early' shows something about your mentality- not quite sure what. With minimum wage being $15 an hour in many places, $1000 a week take home for a job where you risk your life everyday and you are REQUIRED to work overtime is NOT that good, especially with no real benefits. Paid vacations and 5 paid holidays per year like most employees get are worth at least a few thousand dollars per year alone, not to mention sick pay or medical insurance at all.

bacha29

It's interesting to watch you wander from one rambling topic to another.

Contractors have a degree of control of how much they'll take on. I'm sorry if you have to ignore that in order to justify more rambling. Oh, and kudos for finding a way to work in "no governing legal authority" talking point that still doesn't make any sense.

Let's talk about a concept that even a guys whose education involved cereal boxtops can (possibly) grasp. If the freight levels are rising as much as guys on here say they are, then Ground has no choice but to fork over more money to get it delivered. You always act as if all components of the business are static and everyone is stuck with no other option but to get screwed.
Let me help you here. Let's suppose a contractor does refuse a new mandate set forth by the company and there's no language in the contract to support it. he' s given one of three choices eat it and smile, quit or try to take them to arbitration.

Now let's say he decides to use the arbitration method. Now guess who reserves the right to choose who will sit on the arbitration board? Let me give you a hint. It's not the contractor. And I can assure you that the people on that panel are in no way shape or form unbiased and independent. It's over even before you the contractor walks into the room .....except for paying the bill for having lost a process for which he had no real chance of winning. In fact the judge in Estrada vs. Fedex pointed out how vague, ambiguous and "cleverly worded" the contract was.

Go get a copy of one of those contracts and read it for yourself. Rest assured regardless of what that unilaterally drafted and implemented, one dimensional, one sided one year cocument says, if they believe that you're not keeping up or will not be able to keep up they simply do not offer you a new contract.It's as simple as that. That's how much control a contractor has in reality. Essentially nothing.