HUB staffing shortages?

fedx

Extra Large Package
Dems need diversity to keep in power. Republicans keep doubling down on old white people..statistics well tell you that’s a doomed path for elections

But the problem is they need an artificial diversity. They accomplish this by letting in millions of illegal aliens. Republicans let this happen. Had everyone played fair, doubling down on old white people would have been just fine for elections, but Democrats rigged it all. Now it's all about appealing to identity politics and bringing in unskilled, uneducated people from the 3rd world to jump on the identity train to vote Democrat. It's a strategy to stay in power forever by selling out your own country for votes.

Star B

White Lightening
but here's the thing -- the illegals don't vote. they can't vote. they can't get registered. and IF a few do -- it's so minute it's inconsequential. Proven time and time again with official recounts and canvassing -- fraudulent votes are rare in the grand scope of things. I'd like to bring up this point also -- all these voting issues never were "issues" until Trump lost and then he has the biggest crybaby fit known to man (which he would have had in 2016 if he would have lost... notice he was crying RIGGED!!! CROOKED HILLARY RIGGED ELECTION...... until he won... and then he got quiet and accepted it because he got what he wanted). He also had 4 years to push voting changes federally IF there was a real issue -- but there isn't so there was no need to put more laws in there. Until he lost in 2020 and the republicans noticed that the populace was getting tired of dealing with them/Trump and started voting Dem, flipping certain areas purple/blue -- then it became a HUGE ISSUE to "fix" voting. "Fix" voting so that you always win -- I should clarify. I'm talking the latest push of bills to restrict voting accessibility-- where it wasn't an issue for the past 30-40 years but now magically -- it's an issue. So, in saying that, I'm going to leave out Gerrymandering because both sides do it when they can because they want to keep themselves in power.

Here's the long and the short version of my viewpoint: You notice that most large, urban areas are democrat -- that's because those people believe in a society where people work together and have a social net.

Most remote, middle of nowhere places are republican, with some suburban areas on the outskirts of the major cities -- typically those are the NIMBY folk or the ones that moved out of the "big city" to get away from the "big city crime" from "those types of people". They are the ones most afraid of people who are different or would rather be left alone. The problem is -- when it's time for social services or when THEY need something -- GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE (see business bailouts, farm subsidies, social security), but when someone who lives 2 miles away needs something... *scoff*.

If you don't to be a part of society, fine. You can live your life out in the middle of a forest, but don't demand that everyone is treated like you want to be treated -- because not everyone is like you and your 4 neighbors in 400sq miles. The same rules that might work for you don't work for people who live where there are 400 people in a square mile and vice versa.

Sorry if I wall-of-texted-you-for-100 damage, but I had to get my mind out in full.

Lates

I was laid of the right before COVID began. I spent 10 months unemployed not because I wasn’t looking for work. Filled out idk how many applications but still couldn’t get a job even filled out four for Fedex before being hired. Most people are looking for work but hiring has gotten to complicated many factories won’t hire you unless you have experience but can’t get the experience if no one gives you a chance. I didn’t spend 10 months being lazy I spent them barely sleeping stressing with every month that passed that I looked less attractive to employers wondering what I’d do to take care of my kids. I’m sure some abuse but I’d say most of us didn’t enjoy stressing over insurance and such cause even on unemployment I still made to much to get insurance through my state. Even after fedex offered me a job it took a month to start (as a casual)so they could do a background check which is ridiculously long. If I had been offered another job during that time I would have taken it and that probably happens quite often. The company has poor communication the hiring person would seem annoyed when I emailed her once a week to ask about my start date. While I do like the job they should show more appreciation to employees even just getting uniforms in a timely manner would be nice.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I was laid of the right before COVID began. I spent 10 months unemployed not because I wasn’t looking for work. Filled out idk how many applications but still couldn’t get a job even filled out four for Fedex before being hired. Most people are looking for work but hiring has gotten to complicated many factories won’t hire you unless you have experience but can’t get the experience if no one gives you a chance. I didn’t spend 10 months being lazy I spent them barely sleeping stressing with every month that passed that I looked less attractive to employers wondering what I’d do to take care of my kids. I’m sure some abuse but I’d say most of us didn’t enjoy stressing over insurance and such cause even on unemployment I still made to much to get insurance through my state. Even after fedex offered me a job it took a month to start (as a casual)so they could do a background check which is ridiculously long. If I had been offered another job during that time I would have taken it and that probably happens quite often. The company has poor communication the hiring person would seem annoyed when I emailed her once a week to ask about my start date. While I do like the job they should show more appreciation to employees even just getting uniforms in a timely manner would be nice.
Welcome to FedEx where nothing moves quickly except the packages.

HedleyLamarr

We hear all kinds of rumors out in the field about the staffing issues at the Memphis and Indy hubs. We heard staffing is down anywhere from 30 to 50 % depending on who you believe. Is this true? We have heard it is because of low pay and that the Amazon facility has hired 1000s away. If this is the case why hasn't executive management given a directive to get every one of those staff people from the worldwide headquarters in there to fill in the gaps. I bet most of them are sitting at home in their pajamas "working" from home. We have managers and even seniors out working the sorts in many areas. Would be interested to hear from someone in the hub about these staffing rumors.
I have mentioned in another thread, my station is close enough to Memphis that some of our freight is trucked here from the hub. If I see that driver, I occasionally ask him about goings on in Memphis. Yes, staffing is still a massive problem. Amazon took a huge chunk of the handlers, Fedex increased pay to match them, and then Amazon raised their starting pay again. He said this is the first time in all the years he has been driving to Memphis that he has seen Fedex advertise jobs on billboards up there. Fedex used to own that town; they didn't have to advertise! Also, Amazon is building another huge facility in NE Mississippi. More workers will probably leave and go there once it is finished.

I found out yesterday, that our local ramp is severely understaffed as well. We were missing some freight yesterday because they couldn't get it sorted in time.

Aquaman

I have mentioned in another thread, my station is close enough to Memphis that some of our freight is trucked here from the hub. If I see that driver, I occasionally ask him about goings on in Memphis. Yes, staffing is still a massive problem. Amazon took a huge chunk of the handlers, Fedex increased pay to match them, and then Amazon raised their starting pay again. He said this is the first time in all the years he has been driving to Memphis that he has seen Fedex advertise jobs on billboards up there. Fedex used to own that town; they didn't have to advertise! Also, Amazon is building another huge facility in NE Mississippi. More workers will probably leave and go there once it is finished.

I found out yesterday, that our local ramp is severely understaffed as well. We were missing some freight yesterday because they couldn't get it sorted in time.
People at Express were so terrified of Amazon delivering their own freight and potentially getting into the shipping industry. When the real threat of Amazon growth is them competing for our handlers, not our business. They’ve drained our station of handlers. We can’t even get temps in here because the temp agency says Amazon needs 500 and they are paying $5/hr more.

Stat41

Dems need diversity to keep in power. Republicans keep doubling down on old white people..statistics well tell you that’s a doomed path for elections
Thats the problem with our whole two-party system. Each party is so worried about keeping their power that they are totally incapable of doing whats best for the entire country, whether they are old white people or young blacks or latinos. For me to sit here and put the blame on the Democrats or Republicans is just an exercise in futility. They're just different sides of the same coin in my opinion. They both want the same thing. Power and control. And they both love for us to bicker amongst ourselves because they have nothing to fear from a divided people.

People at Express were so terrified of Amazon delivering their own freight and potentially getting into the shipping industry. When the real threat of Amazon growth is them competing for our handlers, not our business. They’ve drained our station of handlers. We can’t even get temps in here because the temp agency says Amazon needs 500 and they are paying $5/hr more.
It's the same UPS. They're starting out package handlers at $17 an hour

Basement Dweller

The only reason the Indy HUB can operate right now is through the Temp Agency bring in illegals. I had to train a guy who couldn't speak English. Even offering $20 an hour no one wants to enter the door. They're hiring full time employees right off the bat when 6 years ago you had to beg and scrap to even be offered it. Not that anyone should want to work full time anyways. Part timers are easily pushing over 40 hours a week and current full timers are up to 60 hours a week: In Spring/Summer, the suppose slow time of the year.

The primary reason people worked at Fedex is for the part time benefits. The pay was just a little something on the side. The older workers have all retired/quit and fresh out of high school kids who never lifted anything above 10 pounds don't even last 2 days. The current model they're running is not sustainable, even the Hub running 24 hours a day we still have cans filled of rollover. Things are about to get much worse as the temperatures increases.

bacha29

The only reason the Indy HUB can operate right now is through the Temp Agency bring in illegals. I had to train a guy who couldn't speak English. Even offering $20 an hour no one wants to enter the door. They're hiring full time employees right off the bat when 6 years ago you had to beg and scrap to even be offered it. Not that anyone should want to work full time anyways. Part timers are easily pushing over 40 hours a week and current full timers are up to 60 hours a week: In Spring/Summer, the suppose slow time of the year.

The primary reason people worked at Fedex is for the part time benefits. The pay was just a little something on the side. The older workers have all retired/quit and fresh out of high school kids who never lifted anything above 10 pounds don't even last 2 days. The current model they're running is not sustainable, even the Hub running 24 hours a day we still have cans filled of rollover. Things are about to get much worse as the temperatures increases.
Spot on. The doorstep package business is a business that requires an ocean of throw away temps and other forms of cheap labor. It can't run without it. The problem is birth rates in this country have been slowing. This past year was the lowest in 32 years. Just a few years back efforts were being taken to push the boomers out of the workforce to make way for younger and cheaper workers. Now they want boomers to forget about how they were disposed of and come back to work.
It's a management level problem that requires a management level solution. And since everyone wants to be a manager , there should be a brain trust larger enough, capable enough and readily available at Far Freddy's to easily solve the problem.

falcon back

Spot on. The doorstep package business is a business that requires an ocean of throw away temps and other forms of cheap labor. It can't run without it. The problem is birth rates in this country have been slowing. This past year was the lowest in 32 years. Just a few years back efforts were being taken to push the boomers out of the workforce to make way for younger and cheaper workers. Now they want boomers to forget about how they were disposed of and come back to work.
It's a management level problem that requires a management level solution. And since everyone wants to be a manager , there should be a brain trust larger enough, capable enough and readily available at Far Freddy's to easily solve the problem.
The miserable with the hatred of life and everything in it has spoken. Take his advice and do just the opposite. It has to be better than listening to his garbage.

bacha29

The miserable with the hatred of life and everything in it has spoken. Take his advice and do just the opposite. It has to be better than listening to his garbage.
The fact that you were pushed out is a prime example of what I'm talking about as evidenced by your obvious attempt to hide your bitterness over losing the cushy PT job you bragged about.. BTW How's your wife's scratch off lottery ticket winnings performing when it comes to your retirement? (LOL).