IBTs Economic Proposals Leaked!

In 95 starting wage for pt workers was $8 plus benefits, vacations, pd holidays included in a shorter span than today, almost a quarter of a century later, and the company was netting 1 billion yearly.
Now, net is more than 5 times that and pt wages suck.
We all know they suck.
If they progressed parallel to the full time employees wages they'd start at around $19/hr.

This is wrong but the ft votes so guess who gets what they want?
Driving starting wage was $12.67 in 1995. Now it’s 18.75ish. So pt starting wages should be a little more than driving starting wage?

F

Frankie's Friend

Driving starting wage was $12.67 in 1995. Now it’s 18.75ish. So pt starting wages should be a little more than driving starting wage?
In two yrs you were at top rate as a full time driver.
In two years as a pter base wages were $9.00.
The wage scale jumped tremendously in 23 years for ft employees.
The pters, as I said, were still at around $9.
Drivers (ft) have an 8 hr guarantee.
Pters should have at least a 4 hr guarantee and start at $15/hr.
The pt time teamster at ups gets screwed every cba because they don't vote.

Let me put it this way,

The part time turnover rate would be seriously slowed if the company would pay a decent wage from day one and people with good attitudes are more productive.

Give them more chips and they'll work harder and show up on time more often.
I agree a higher wage would keep people longer. You said before that the turnover rate is about that same as in the late 80s. But what is a decent wage?

Shift

Ft has a top rate with a progression. Part Timeers just get GWI. If a full time inside worker can go from starting at $16 (which it states in the book)to top out at $29.60 in 4 years then why can't' a pt employee have the same progression with a top pay.

Shift

What does $12 an hour + benes + pension cost = ?

More than $25 an hour?
What's does $36.2 an hr +benes+pension cost $49.2 hr and your trying to bash pt employees that have been here for 2+ contract negotiations about wanting to be paid the same as the ft inside employees for literally doing the same job and begin paid way more with benefits, insurance and pension

Ft has a top rate with a progression. Part Timeers just get GWI. If a full time inside worker can go from starting at $16 (which it states in the book)to top out at $29.60 in 4 years then why can't' a pt employee have the same progression with a top pay.
I guess they could pay part timers $50 an hour, like you say. But could they be competitive? Have you worked the numbers?

WorkingAsDirected

Why don't they allow more part timers the opportunity to double shift? This way they get a better quality employee and they don't have to pay for the extra benefits and pension. Seems like a win-win situation.

PT Car Washer

In 95 starting wage for pt workers was $8 plus benefits, vacations, pd holidays included in a shorter span than today, almost a quarter of a century later, and the company was netting 1 billion yearly.
Now, net is more than 5 times that and pt wages suck.
We all know they suck.
If they progressed parallel to the full time employees wages they'd start at around $19/hr.

This is wrong but the ft votes so guess who gets what they want?
In 1985 the starting PT rate was $8/hr plus benefits which was way above minimum wage. And to tell the truth the job was easier without any overweight and oversize packages.

What's does $36.2 an hr +benes+pension cost $49.2 hr and your trying to bash pt employees that have been here for 2+ contract negotiations about wanting to be paid the same as the ft inside employees for literally doing the same job and begin paid way more with benefits, insurance and pension
Would it be better to pay pt ers the same rate, or add more Art 22. Getting away from pt employees.

F

Frankie's Friend

I agree a higher wage would keep people longer. You said before that the turnover rate is about that same as in the late 80s. But what is a decent wage?
Turnover today is horrendous.

BigBrown1234

What I am saying, is what other pt jobs have benefits and a pension?

With that argument, I could argue What other delivery job pays their drivers $36hr with 100% medical or pension contributions.

The answer is “A TEAMSTER JOB”

That money goes into the Unions controlled funds for distribution. The union is not giving that up anyway.

The entire reason to be covered under a collective bargaining agreement is you pay union dues to get better working conditions than the minimum standards covered under law.

Last edited: