Informative video about why the current contract proposal sucks

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
So according to him our #1 issue was $5. Dude must be so proud delivering all day feeling good like "damn $5 I'm so happy nothing in the world can bother me".

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think our disagreement on the contract stems from the fact that most people are concerned that in 20 years, even the best run pension may fail. We have all our bargaining chips in healthcare, union dues, and pension.

The Union's first priority is to itself; protecting union dues by creating more positions and focusing on pension contributions accomplishes this. It scares me a bit.

TonyQ, why don't we see Roth 401k's as an option?
We have a Roth 401k.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Oh, I think he will win, if he's still there.

If he's still where???

The teamsters

First off, "teamsters" should be capitalized....and secondly, it's not a word that qualifies to be "there" or "where"???
I think Tony is trying to say that the incumbents will try to violate article 19 of the constitution. I’m sure J diGenova will be notified in advance. Thanks for the heads up Tony!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We have a Roth 401k.
I think he meant the company contributing or matching our 401k's. He probably isn't aware employers can only contribute with traditional pretax money, not roth.

He has a point though. Of course, the union would never negotiate any of our retirement money out of their hands. A lot of us young guys see the money as a total throw away. Not counting on it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think he meant the company contributing or matching our 401k's. He probably isn't aware employers can only contribute to a traditional pretax 401k, not roth.

He has a point though. Of course, the union would never negotiate any of our retirement money out of their hands.
A guaranteed pension is one of the biggest selling points for unionization. Get rid of pensions and you will see the already steady decline in union membership accelerate. Once the union is gone you can kiss goodbye to the all things we take for granted like industry leading wages, healthcare job protections, etc.. But hey, maybe we'll still have that 6% match!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
A guaranteed pension is one of the biggest selling points for unionization. Get rid of pensions and you will see the already steady decline in union membership accelerate. Once the union is gone you can kiss goodbye to the all things we take for granted like industry leading wages, healthcare job protections, etc.. But hey, maybe we'll still have that 6% match!
I'm all for that, but why are they increasing payouts when plans are failing? It's good money after bad. Baby boomer retirements are gonna drain them dry and no one cares.

Great, we're increasing company contributions.... And then we're increasing payouts lol. Sorry if I don't view a benefit I'll likely never get as a good thing.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm all for that, but why are they increasing payouts when plans are failing? It's good money after bad. Baby boomer retirements are gonna drain them dry and no one cares.

Great, we're increasing company contributions.... And then we're increasing payouts lol. Sorry if I don't view a benefit I'll likely never get as a good thing.
The increased payout in only in the single employer company plan which was 100% funded last time I checked, and the increased payout basically keeps pace with inflation. A lot of the multi employer plans (mine included) have been reducing their accrual/payouts.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just an FYI all the language in the tentative agreement about pensions/ healthcare only applies to the company pension plan and Teamcare. A lot of us are in our own pension and health insurance plans.

CoffeeStainedUniform

I am proud to be a union member in a right to work state. "Union leading wages etc." are worth every cent of my dues.

I just don't have faith in the infants growing up to run the union in 25 years or the 5 year olds who will be legislating my income on the government end. This contract goes a long way to make the Union strong but not necessarily the drivers who are in it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I am proud to be a union member in a right to work state. "Union leading wages etc." are worth every cent of my dues.

I just don't have faith in the infants growing up to run the union in 25 years or the 5 year olds who will be legislating my income on the government end. This contract goes a long way to make the Union strong but not necessarily the drivers who are in it.
I'm in a RTW state as well but I'm not sure I really understand this argument. A strong union is essential if we want to maintain bargaining power.

Tony Q

You put that beautifully. People don't understand how good they have it till its history.

Tony Q

I think Tony is trying to say that the incumbents will try to violate article 19 of the constitution. I’m sure J diGenova will be notified in advance. Thanks for the heads up Tony!
Only he knows what laws he has violated and some other people as well. What was okay when he did it will be judged down the road. Three years is a long time. When it's all said and done Fred could end up being the man again and the rightful GP of the Teamsters. You do know Fred beat your guy, right?

Last edited: