Injury question, what to expect?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have dealt with managers who bully people out of accident reports. It happens. Not everyone has the life experience some here do. I was injured on a Saturday. It was not called in until Monday. Broken rib from slipping on a piece of carpet that had been reported as a trip hazard, yet not fixed(of course).
The second time I was injured, I was working as directed( as I have described in detail before). I reported the injury and was ignored. I told the ignoring supervisor that I was going to hospital with OR WITHOUT accident report as filling out such reports are not in my job description. By this time in my history with UPS, I knew better than to believe any drivel that would be projected from his mouth. A few years before, I might have been to naive.
Hospitals and urgent cares don't give two sh**s if an accident report has been filed. Liberty Mutual doesn't give two sh**s if an accident report is filed out immediately. Only management does.
It is very easy to sit in your armchair and bully these posters because they don't conform to your standards. Sounds like one of my managers.

tracker2762

The phone call to liberty mutual has to be made the same day as the injury. End of story.
This is not true, I had an injury to my hand documented and two days later filed since it wasn't getting any better. Turned out to be two broken fingers. I was on WC for four weeks.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That is why some managers ask if you want to wait and see. Its not always to duck and run. Not trying to be anyone's cheerleader. Sometimes things just ache. Others times......
My center manager always did right by me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
no one wins when an employee files the claim, goes to the ER for a bruised finger that feels better in an hour or two. x100000 nationally.

Otherwise everyone would be filing claims rampantly for the smallest injuries only because "omg we need to file now just be to be safe, otherwise the 24 hour window is up and we're screwed!"

Actually, in thisstate you have three years to take legal action upon an injury that is sustained while on-the-job.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sorry I come off as bullying, not the case.

But the more he posts, the deeper he digs the hole. You want help, post all the details. In his case, all he wants is paid his basic pay for time off, but yet he wants to hit UPS for a grand less 33%

As far as having to call it in the same day as the injury, while that is what they want, it is not "The phone call to liberty mutual has to be made the same day as the injury. End of story."

d

AnonyMusser

But the more he posts, the deeper he digs the hole. You want help, post all the details. In his case, all he wants is paid his basic pay for time off, but yet he wants to hit UPS for a grand less 33%

As far as having to call it in the same day as the injury, while that is what they want, it is not "The phone call to liberty mutual has to be made the same day as the injury. End of story."

d
I dont want to hit UPS for anything but I have a case (you're not a lawyer, you're a worker, which is why I asked advice from you and generally anyone else here who might have been in the same position) and I got it whether I liked what you said or not. So thank you for contributing in spite of your advice being lased with insults. And I am going to go through with it. I never wanted to rock the boat in the first place but I havent lied and you were extremely insulting from the get go and you're only taking from my post what you want to hear. I dont have Liberty Mutual, I have Aetna which is what I wanted to pay for the late doctor visit with but was given a workmans comp form because it happened on the property. I have been told white lies and big lies from management at work, Ive never been injured on property besides little scrapes gashes and charlie horses. I take full responsibility for not knowing what to do but I am going to learn from it.

I dont want to hit UPS for anything but I have a case (you're not a lawyer, you're a worker, which is why I asked advice from you and generally anyone else here who might have been in the same position) and I got it whether I liked what you said or not. So thank you for contributing in spite of your advice being lased with insults. And I am going to go through with it. I never wanted to rock the boat in the first place but I havent lied and you were extremely insulting from the get go and you're only taking from my post what you want to hear. I dont have Liberty Mutual, I have Aetna which is what I wanted to pay for the late doctor visit with but was given a workmans comp form because it happened on the property. I have been told white lies and big lies from management at work, Ive never been injured on property besides little scrapes gashes and charlie horses. I take full responsibility for not knowing what to do but I am going to learn from it.
Ups has liberty mutual insurance for an on the job injury. There company procedure is to call it in the same day as the incident.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
So thank you for contributing in spite of your advice being lased with insults
OMG, you want to be insulted? Ask around jr, you are in way over your head.

One thing that bothers me though. Here it is, you go see a lawyer, and he tells you what you want to hear. So why in the heck would you post your question to a board where a bunch of wornout dumb truck drivers chitchat.

All I can think of is dramaqueen.

Good luck.

d

AnonyMusser

OMG, you want to be insulted? Ask around jr, you are in way over your head.

One thing that bothers me though. Here it is, you go see a lawyer, and he tells you what you want to hear. So why in the heck would you post your question to a board where a bunch of wornout dumb truck drivers chitchat.

All I can think of is dramaqueen.

Good luck.

d
No damages attorney short of Lionel Hutz would take a case where his slice would most likely be less than $300

menotyou

bella amicizia
Ups has liberty mutual insurance for an on the job injury. There company procedure is to call it in the same day as the incident.
There procedure is the important part here. Doesn't mean the law requires it. Law requires you to file in a timely manner.

menotyou

bella amicizia

d
Then I apologize.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Thats nice, but in the real world (most of the country) there is a waiting period to get paid for the first 5 days, anywhere from 10 working days to four weeks. After that period, they will go back and pick up the first 5 days.

That is why you get a piece of crap comp lawyer that the state pays for for free.
So NY pays for your comp lawyer? No wonder your state is broke and all screwed up. And on public works jobs, hourly persons have to be paid almost 50 an hour........

Anon
No damages attorney short of Lionel Hutz would take a case where his slice would most likely be less than $300
Everyone but you gets my post. On one hand you post that all you really want is paid the hours you could have worked, then 5 seconds later your posting about a friend that went to a lawyer and got a grand for the same thing, so you are going to see that lawyer.

Bottom line, you still have not posted if you worked the days between monday and thursday. The initial post makes it sound like you did work,because it would have been a lost time injury. But you did work, didnt you? So you are not entitled to comp.

And on thursday, your doc said back to work monday, and the company doc said right away. And after repeating all you want is to go back to work, I get the feeling you really dont.

So basically you are down to this. IF you worked tuesday and wednesday, you got paid. If not, chances are they would have paid you via TAW. That is what it is for.

So all you are interested in is the extra grand less 1/3.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
Thats nice, but in the real world (most of the country) there is a waiting period to get paid for the first 5 days, anywhere from 10 working days to four weeks. After that period, they will go back and pick up the first 5 days.
They go back to day one here. Sorry to mislead.
So NY pays for your comp lawyer? No wonder your state is broke and all screwed up. And on public works jobs, hourly persons have to be paid almost 50 an hour........
I believe NY is broke because of the worthless welfare sponges with three rolls over their knees who move from, oh lets say, your state to mine because we offer better benny's, more food stamps to buy Ho-Ho's with( I have no idea why we do, but that is what I hear). As far as public works, they make less than UPS Drivers. I think its around $22 an hour. I guess NY likes paying a living wage.
AnonEveryone but you gets my post. On one hand you post that all you really want is paid the hours you could have worked, then 5 seconds later your posting about a friend that went to a lawyer and got a grand for the same thing, so you are going to see that lawyer.

Bottom line, you still have not posted if you worked the days between monday and thursday. The initial post makes it sound like you did work,because it would have been a lost time injury. But you did work, didnt you? So you are not entitled to comp.

And on thursday, your doc said back to work monday, and the company doc said right away. And after repeating all you want is to go back to work, I get the feeling you really dont.

So basically you are down to this. IF you worked tuesday and wednesday, you got paid. If not, chances are they would have paid you via TAW. That is what it is for.

So all you are interested in is the extra grand less 1/3.

d
Before anyone rants on me about welfare, I believe in helping. What I don't believe in are entitlements. SSI around here means your probably a crackhead. NY is broke because it gives too much, while companies like UPS, who don't have to take care of their own injured workers who were working as directed, push more and more people towards SS. UPS, and companies like it, aren't just breaking NY's bank, but the entire country's.
Just my opinion.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
QUOTE]NY is broke because it gives too much, while companies like UPS, who don't have to take care of their own injured workers who were working as directed, push more and more people towards SS. UPS, and companies like it, aren't just breaking NY's bank, but the entire country's.
[/QUOTE]
I believe in helping too. But only those that cant help themselves, not those that refuse to help themselves. States and Federal gooberments are broke because they have taken so much, there is no more to take. And they are experts at giving away money that is not theirs to give. And they have spent money that they were planing on getting, but could not because of the drop in the economy. When the getters outnumber the givers…..So you think 50 an hour is SS rates?

I will let you in on why I have posted harshly to this poster. I think he mis-stated and mislead from the get go. Here is why

Facts either by his post, or from the real world reaction to facts he posted.

1. He was hurt on the job, he claims it was not his fault, which no one on this site has questioned.

2. He refuses to get a medical diagnosis offered by management, and “politely” decides to wait a day or two and see how it is, even after seeing the crushed toe

3. So he is working, because if he is not, it is a lost time injury, which management knows has to be called in that day.

4. He breaks on the 3rd day, and goes to see the doc. Doc gives him an open toed shoe and meds, and tells him to go back to work on Monday. Wait…..so he did not work from Monday after all. So how is it that there is a lost time injury, and the sups will not document it?

5. On his return, the sups “kindly ask” for him to lie about the injury, and gives a whole list of popular excuses why, all so that they don’t have to fill out paperwork. This from the same sups that offered him free medical care in the first place. So who are we to believe?

6. So, by his post, he shows up on Monday, and they require him to go to the company doc. Their doc says he can go back on Tuesday.

7. He talks about double speak from sups, and they tell him the “mandatory”get a attorney””. When was the last time a sup told you, or anyone for that matter, to get a lawyer? Especially after an on the job injury?

8. But before this meeting even takes place, he has already seen a lawyer, for “base hours missed”, and the possibility of a $1000 paycheck, less 33%

9. But even after all this he still insists that “cause all I want is the ABSOLUTE BASE HOURS.” Problem with that is that he screwed himself out of that by not going on monday when it first happened.

10. HE keeps repeating that he is being pressured to lie not only to UPS but to the company doctor about his injury. This, again, from the same managers that offered to take him for medical care in the first place.

11. Then there is “ I dont want to hit UPS for anything but I have a case…….and I got it whether I liked what you said or not.”

12. “ I dont have Liberty Mutual, I have Aetna which is what I wanted to pay for the late doctor visit with but was given a workmans comp form because it happened on the property” Nope, they are giving you a workers comp form because you said it happened at work. You wanted your insurance to pay for it, but was given a workers comp form instead. Why would he want his own insurance to pay for it instead of UPS’s workers comp insurance? Oh yeah, the UPS corp coverup forced him........

Sorry, I dont believe a word, except that his big toe hurts because a package fell on it.

The rest is a result of "im going to do things my way, then when things go wrong, its all their fault" syndrome.

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Danny, why did UPS allow him to keep working without seeing a company doctor or a doctor?

Why is the employee in charge making the decisions?

I thought UPS preached safety and high integrity? Why is someone wounded by a freak injury on-the-job, which was obviously pretty ugly and bothersome, allowed to continue working (that day, or any day, without approval to return from dr)?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Danny, why did UPS allow him to keep working without seeing a company doctor or a doctor?
Not sure, because if he lost time from work (tues-thurs) it would be a lost time injury. So did he work? IF so, why is he seeking the basic wages he thinks he lost? But then again, had he not refused, they would have offered him TAW had he not been able to work.

Why is the employee in charge making the decisions?
Because he politely refused to go to get medical assistance and evaluation. He decided. Not the company.
You have rights to go be seen by a medical doctor. He waived those rights. Im sure that because he did so politely makes a difference to him, but it does not.

I thought UPS preached safety and high integrity? Why is someone wounded by a freak injury on-the-job, which was obviously pretty ugly and bothersome, allowed to continue working (that day, or any day, without approval to return from dr)?
Again, we are trying to get to the truth here. Normally they would not allow a person to work around the sort with an open toed shoe, would they?
Sleeve

Again, your questions are just like mine. HE posted he wants paid for his lost time, but he also refused to accept medical care and to document the injury. A lost time injury is not one of those "hide it by wink wink, and lie to the doc type of things. So his whole story becomes suspect.

Again, drama queen.

d