Is FedEx Scrambling for ideas?

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
I mean in the past 2-3 years.

We tried Final Mile(or whatever we called it) Ground taking Express packages, it stopped then started, then half of it comes back to express a week late with "bad addresses" or whatever reasoning.

We Tried Response, doubled our employee numbers $$, doubled vehicle numbers all rentals $$ it pretty much was a failure.

We Tried Estar which has good intentions but after a short while was mothballed because it wasn't helping service.

Now the merger, I know it's well intended, and makes sense to make things more efficient but risky. Managers at express were already backpedalling some of their speaking points, because folks started talking about leaving, and of course they can't have a mass exodus during the roll out of this because it will fail or hurt the company badly. So they were doing damage control trying to keep people from leaving. The new people with no seniority have their eye on the door because they don't want to be in line with 200 other people trying to find jobs around town, older high seniority people aren't ready for/willing to change so they are eyeing up retirement... if express goes into this with less than 100% staff on board it has the potential to be catastrophic .

So far we've been told nothing has been announced for our area, and the nearest station effected was only 10 drivers and apparently they are all still working(we don't know if they work for FedEx or if they are under a contractor) We've been told some Express locations will Take on Ground packages to fill volume, and that areas will be split with less overlap with other drivers. We've been told some Ground locations will take on Express Freight, and we've been told some small Express locations will be absorbed...

So far you really can't believe anything you are told.

Keep this in mind, FedEx didn't hatch this plan overnight, the full plan is laid out somewhere, but they aren't sharing it. They know exactly when and where and how things are planned.. and the fact that they aren't disclosing it should be warning enough for all of us Ground and Express.
I am moving to a new state, I planned on fdx to help me decide what to do when I grew up. at 56, I applied to someone else. 16 yrs of this. I took my current ground contractor to dinner last night, and he wanted to cry. He's losing 4 drivers in the span of 2 weeks

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I am moving to a new state, I planned on fdx to help me decide what to do when I grew up. at 56, I applied to someone else. 16 yrs of this. I took my current ground contractor to dinner last night, and he wanted to cry. He's losing 4 drivers in the span of 2 weeks
It’s a job for suckers

bacha29

Simply remind your contractor that he wanted in there badly enough and the risks were significant and obvious.

DustyInSilver

At this point, they're throwing :censored2: at the wall to see what sticks. Upper management is so hell bent on making the stock look good, they're willing to destroy what made the brand, in order to achieve that.
I have work for Fedex 18 years. I started as an old person, so I am retiring in 3 weeks. Fedex Express only did this merger thing to bump stock. They have no clue. The “last mile” didn’t work!!! Funny thing, couriers at our station LRUA with less than 10 years, actually think they will be given a buy out😂🤣

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I have work for Fedex 18 years. I started as an old person, so I am retiring in 3 weeks. Fedex Express only did this merger thing to bump stock. They have no clue. The “last mile” didn’t work!!! Funny thing, couriers at our station LRUA with less than 10 years, actually think they will be given a buy out😂🤣
First of all congratulations on your upcoming retirement. Always glad to hear of another employee leaving that godawful sewer of a business. Secondly, I think this whole brainstorm was an exercise in desperation. Raj, with his wonderful degree in chemical engineering might as well be sending out resumes now as this is gonna be another FedEx fiasco. Their track record of poor decisions (mostly made by robbing hard working employees) is one failure after another. Maybe they should have just called this Zapmail 2. Lastly, those employees with less than 10 years, the only kind buy out they’ll see is a goodbye out the the door.

zeev

How does FedEx implement ideas, I was the first run out of large station 5 positions. Back into door and I notice the senior manager of our hub on deck. He has a brilliant idea to make the sort run better, he will delay my pull 10-15 minutes to fill the cans , adding 2 boxes and 1 bag of documents. The result is I am late to our building causing a delay in getting in doors. Dispatch wants to know whose asinine idea was this, it lasted about one week. This is the kind of research that goes into any change. Confidence in the latest plan is weak to none.

SmithBarney

How does FedEx implement ideas, I was the first run out of large station 5 positions. Back into door and I notice the senior manager of our hub on deck. He has a brilliant idea to make the sort run better, he will delay my pull 10-15 minutes to fill the cans , adding 2 boxes and 1 bag of documents. The result is I am late to our building causing a delay in getting in doors. Dispatch wants to know whose asinine idea was this, it lasted about one week. This is the kind of research that goes into any change. Confidence in the latest plan is weak to none.
Even the engineers come up with some bright ones on the spot. I'll try to describe this one as good as I can.(see horrible attachment)

I use to work at a station that had a spur rollers that ran outside to 6 trucks(we didn't have enough room for years)
So the spur comes out between two overhead doors which trucks come out of..
Anyway every time the engineer came they wanted to change something, this time while I'm working out there,
he says "I want you to move these trucks(orange ovals in pic) up against the building.."
I know where he's going with it.. but I press him, "oh but why?" annoyed he tells me because I'm wasting time pushing packages down the rollers.. ok I agree it's not the most efficient. "are you sure that's a good idea"
"damn straight its a great idea."
Then I hit him with.. "what about at the end of the sort(we are the last to get our stuff) and all the people inside the building are trapped because now we've parked in front of the bay doors..."

dead silent

There wasn't much conversation after that...
This was the same guy who put our rural routes in the building so they were the last two out(it was tight, had to leave in order) so the guys who get back the latest, now are delayed 15-20 minutes getting out.(they use to be put outside)

Attachments

• trucs.jpg
    trucs.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 33

bacha29

Even the engineers come up with some bright ones on the spot. I'll try to describe this one as good as I can.(see horrible attachment)

I use to work at a station that had a spur rollers that ran outside to 6 trucks(we didn't have enough room for years)
So the spur comes out between two overhead doors which trucks come out of..
Anyway every time the engineer came they wanted to change something, this time while I'm working out there,
he says "I want you to move these trucks(orange ovals in pic) up against the building.."
I know where he's going with it.. but I press him, "oh but why?" annoyed he tells me because I'm wasting time pushing packages down the rollers.. ok I agree it's not the most efficient. "are you sure that's a good idea"
"damn straight its a great idea."
Then I hit him with.. "what about at the end of the sort(we are the last to get our stuff) and all the people inside the building are trapped because now we've parked in front of the bay doors..."

dead silent

There wasn't much conversation after that...
This was the same guy who put our rural routes in the building so they were the last two out(it was tight, had to leave in order) so the guys who get back the latest, now are delayed 15-20 minutes getting out.(they use to be put outside)
Reminds me of one of Fat Freddy's so called engineers who comes up to Denny our line haul contractor with his mighty lap top and proceeded to show Denny a different route to the hub he ordered Denny to take because according to the routing information on his lap top ( too dumb to think for himself) it would be a shorter distance to the hub.

Denny's response: "Great idea kid....Only one problem....That road has been closed to truck traffic for more than 20 years".

And these along with senior management are the ones being entrusted with the largest operational restructuring of not just the company but scale wise one of if not the largest in the history of the industry.

When you already have the poorest setup in the history of wheeled transportation, the doubts expressed here regarding the ability of management to create better setup are well founded.

It will be fine

Reminds me of one of Fat Freddy's so called engineers who comes up to Denny our line haul contractor with his mighty lap top and proceeded to show Denny a different route to the hub he ordered Denny to take because according to the routing information on his lap top ( too dumb to think for himself) it would be a shorter distance to the hub.

Denny's response: "Great idea kid....Only one problem....That road has been closed to truck traffic for more than 20 years".

And these along with senior management are the ones being entrusted with the largest operational restructuring of not just the company but scale wise one of if not the largest in the history of the industry.

When you already have the poorest setup in the history of wheeled transportation, the doubts expressed here regarding the ability of management to create better setup are well founded.
So they have the poorest setup in history and it’s impossible for them to create a better one? That is an incredibly stupid assertion.