Is FedEx Scrambling for ideas?

bacha29

So they have the poorest setup in history and it’s impossible for them to create a better one? That is an incredibly stupid assertion.
OK, so answer this question:...Where do you start to consolidate when you have two completely different labor forces with a wide disparity in pay and benefits and a company that believes that a race to the bottom is the best way to get to the top?

This at a time when the king of this industry's mountain is a model of corporate efficiency supported by a labor force earning by far the industry's best wages and benefits and in doing so proving conclusively that the market will indeed support that level of employee earnings and later this year see an increase in pay while at the same time the person lugging around Fat Freddy's boxes will be a person earning even less than the person they replaced. A person required to fully replicate the task performed by that UPS driver and do it for a small fraction of the pay.

This is a strictly a service business where cheap never takes precedence over stability and reliability and indications are based on the knowledgeable comments on here Fat Freddy and Raj are going to get an education in that reality.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fat Freddy and Raj better prepare themselves for even more news stories about FedEx packages thrown into ravines.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So they have the poorest setup in history and it’s impossible for them to create a better one? That is an incredibly stupid assertion.
This, coming from someone who has complained publicly about how FedEx has consistently made things worse for them???

You’re right, yours was an incredibly stupid assertion.

vantexan

OK, so answer this question:...Where do you start to consolidate when you have two completely different labor forces with a wide disparity in pay and benefits and a company that believes that a race to the bottom is the best way to get to the top?

This at a time when the king of this industry's mountain is a model of corporate efficiency supported by a labor force earning by far the industry's best wages and benefits and in doing so proving conclusively that the market will indeed support that level of employee earnings and later this year see an increase in pay while at the same time the person lugging around Fat Freddy's boxes will be a person earning even less than the person they replaced. A person required to fully replicate the task performed by that UPS driver and do it for a small fraction of the pay.

This is a strictly a service business where cheap never takes precedence over stability and reliability and indications are based on the knowledgeable comments on here Fat Freddy and Raj are going to get an education in that reality.
If FedEx made Ground drivers employees they could certainly afford to pay them much better and give them decent benefits. But what about Express employees? FedEx won't be able to give them the level of pay and benefits UPS drivers enjoy because Express has built in overhead flying most of its freight that UPS just doesn't have. Can they do better? Sure. But not at that level and you denying that won't change the immovable mountain of costs that flying the freight incurs. And if they charge more to compensate for that they lose market share to UPS.

Nobody wants to hear it if it's affecting their job, but this is a cutthroat business run by cutthroat businessmen who's primary objective is to get rich and make their shareholders wealthier. If we weren't willing to be as cutthroat organizing a union when there was a legitimate chance then the only real choices you have now is either roll with whatever they come out with or start looking for something else.

bacha29

If FedEx made Ground drivers employees they could certainly afford to pay them much better and give them decent benefits. But what about Express employees? FedEx won't be able to give them the level of pay and benefits UPS drivers enjoy because Express has built in overhead flying most of its freight that UPS just doesn't have. Can they do better? Sure. But not at that level and you denying that won't change the immovable mountain of costs that flying the freight incurs. And if they charge more to compensate for that they lose market share to UPS.

Nobody wants to hear it if it's affecting their job, but this is a cutthroat business run by cutthroat businessmen who's primary objective is to get rich and make their shareholders wealthier. If we weren't willing to be as cutthroat organizing a union when there was a legitimate chance then the only real choices you have now is either roll with whatever they come out with or start looking for something else.
Standard rebuttal from our in house corporate apologist.

yadig

Are you smoking the herb?

Aquaman

All it will do is make the UPS driver jobs more desirable and increase the wait to get them. I agree that you do not want people handling high dollar items & pharmaceuticals who don’t care about their jobs. We deliver incredibly important items sometimes. Who would you prefer? A professional UPS driver held to very high standards, or the former Waffle House cook with neck tattoos and a dip spit bottle….

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
All it will do is make the UPS driver jobs more desirable and increase the wait to get them. I agree that you do not want people handling high dollar items & pharmaceuticals who don’t care about their jobs. We deliver incredibly important items sometimes. Who would you prefer? A professional UPS driver held to very high standards, or the former Waffle House cook with neck tattoos and a dip spit bottle….
All Fat Freddy sees is dollar signs. I hope one of his important packages gets thrown on someone else’s rooftop by one his prized discount couriers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All Fat Freddy sees is dollar signs. I hope one of his important packages gets thrown on someone else’s rooftop by one his prized discount couriers.
Wait until they blow something truly important for some VIP who then takes it viral on social media. It won’t take long until they find a trove of packages at the dump, buried, or otherwise discarded. And it will happen repeatedly.

bacha29

Wait until they blow something truly important for some VIP who then takes it viral on social media. It won’t take long until they find a trove of packages at the dump, buried, or otherwise discarded. And it will happen repeatedly.
Or one of his cheap third party air cargo bottom feeders lands at the wrong airport or one of their drunk pilots gets pulled off the flight deck while waiting on the tarmac for departure or one of their ancient 707's breaks apart in midair and falls into a populated area like something right out of NYC 11-12-01.

DustyInSilver

And what if it turns out not nearly as bad as you say? Anyone new to this forum should be aware that @bacha29 has an axe to grind with FedEx and portrays them in the worst possible light every chance he gets. No doubt they deserve some of it but if they do anything badly he'll make it sound 10 times worse.
I can’t believe how bad UPS employees talk about Fedex employees on this form. Division it is the American way now. I work for Express retiring in 2 days, decision made prior to the merger announcement. UPS drivers in my small town, Silver City NM, DO WORK way harder than I do. UPS drivers here have never been friendly to me, but one and he use to work for Express. One UPS driver at the same stop I was at told the customer I was :censored2:, right there in front of me, not knowing anything about me. Not sure why UPS drivers have axes to ground with Express, but won’t have to worry in two days.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I can’t believe how bad UPS employees talk about Fedex employees on this form. Division it is the American way now. I work for Express retiring in 2 days, decision made prior to the merger announcement. UPS drivers in my small town, Silver City NM, DO WORK way harder than I do. UPS drivers here have never been friendly to me, but one and he use to work for Express. One UPS driver at the same stop I was at told the customer I was :censored2:, right there in front of me, not knowing anything about me. Not sure why UPS drivers have axes to ground with Express, but won’t have to worry in two days.
I never had a problem with express, still don’t, it’s ground that sucks.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I never had a problem with express, still don’t, it’s ground that sucks.
It's those Owners of the Ground routes that make it terrible for the Workers and the Customers. They exercise absolute control over their subordinates to the point of harassment and then when something goes wrong, they go ballistic and blame everyone except themselves. I guess you have to be a liberal to qualify as an Owner. I've talked to a few Drivers and they all despise their Dictator.

Last edited:

bacha29

It's those Owners of the Ground routes that make it terrible for the Workers and the Customers. They exercise absolute control over their subordinates to the point of harassment and then when something goes wrong, they go ballistic and blame everyone except themselves. I guess you have to be a liberal to qualify as an Owner. I've talked to a few Drivers and they all despise their Dictator.
Ever actually read a FXG contractor contract? There's not a single term or condition in that contract that is binding upon FXG. What makes it even worse is that there's no governing legal authority with enforcement power over those contract terms. In other words it isn't worth the paper it's written on. Allowing FXG to do whatever they damn well please to both contractor and contractor employees.

The employees of an FXG contractor do have the legal right to vote in union representation. Only trouble is the moment they did that FXG would cancel the contract.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Ever actually read a FXG contractor contract? There's not a single term or condition in that contract that is binding upon FXG. What makes it even worse is that there's no governing legal authority with enforcement power over those contract terms. In other words it isn't worth the paper it's written on. Allowing FXG to do whatever they damn well please to both contractor and contractor employees.

The employees of an FXG contractor do have the legal right to vote in union representation. Only trouble is the moment they did that FXG would cancel the contract.
Yawn....What're you blabbering about?:sleeping:

Mutineer

What you wrote is exactly how FedEx treats their "Owners" of the Ground routes.

It rolls downhill from there.