Is there really a possibility of a strike?

Undertow

The company makes billions in profits off OUR backs. They want us to work 70hr/8 day workweeks. We are yearly bailing them out at peak for their lack of staffing. They cut routes the rest of the year so drivers are getting excessive overtime. They harass drivers who don't meet their numbers. They want to create their own hybrid delivery drivers, essentially subcontracting our work at a cheaper rate. We open that door it will never be closed. Drivers are held at a high standard, meanwhile we have incompetent sups and managers and technology that is either very limited or poorly programmed or both. We can't just come to work and do our jobs, have to come to work, do our jobs and babysit these idiots just to have a decent day. The company preaches safety yet will not agree to safety related issues unless it benefits them.
I could go on and on. The company makes billions in profits but wants to strongarm its most valuable asset. Maybe its just business and negotiating but are often made to feel like anything but a valuable asset.
I'd pretty much agree. Even the most optimistic workers in our facility have largely given up hope that upper management will exhibit more sensible decision making or behavior. The upheaval that the Saturday service implementation caused on staffing, operations and morale last year really never subsided. That combined with their dreadful planning for peak season was bad enough, but when RDO was taken away in favor of something as inadequate as ORION, that was a point of no return for a lot of the delivery drivers. That job was already hard enough as it was and the last thing that needed to be done after the recent history of half baked rollouts and initiatives was insist on saddling drivers with something that's making working conditions even worse. Just seems like we are losing so many of the most durable and dedicated guys that have either gotten fed up and either retired early or gone into feeders. When the best of the best in the workforce begin losing the faith so rapidly, it really underscores the resentment.

We were told during negotiations that UPS wasn't going to raise weights from 70 lbs. to 100. For once the company didn't lie, they were planning for 150 all along. UPS had already printed up new Rate and Zone Charts with 150 lbs., they expected us to deliver them by ourselves.

My prediction is that there isn't going to be a strike. We will continue working past the deadline with extensions until something gets worked out. I think the company will get weekend hybrid drivers that are new hires only. Everybody now working will be grandfathered in with their current positions. The company will give up something that doesn't cost anything, like giving in to beards and tattoos. Maybe we will get double-time after ten hours. The IBT really can't afford for us to strike. The volume we will lose will mean dues-paying members will lose their jobs so the IBT will lose money. In '97, UPS owned the small parcel market. The post office was slower and Fedex Ground and Amazon didn't exist. The competition is different now.
They are going to have to give up something better than that if they want my vote.

Wonder if anyone has noticed when ordering uniforms they are only allowing 2 shirts and want old ones back.Also have a retired management person on my route and he told me he got an email asking for all old uniforms be returned.I think they may be trying to keep inventory in case we walk.Just a thought.

bowhnterdon

I think it does matter. If less than half vote,the Union has the power too impose,and you can bet the Farm that Junior will do just that..

lolbr

Wonder if anyone has noticed when ordering uniforms they are only allowing 2 shirts and want old ones back.Also have a retired management person on my route and he told me he got an email asking for all old uniforms be returned.I think they may be trying to keep inventory in case we walk.Just a thought.
We were always supposed to exchange one for one. It's a loss prevention issue. Don't want uniforms getting into the wrong hands. Supervisors have just been lazy enforcing it.

KOG72

I’m full of it
We were always supposed to exchange one for one. It's a loss prevention issue. Don't want uniforms getting into the wrong hands. Supervisors have just been lazy enforcing it.
There is always a return label in my uniforms when I get new ones,I just have not taken the time to box them up.

lolbr

Pants make good yard work apparel but wait I don’t do yard work anymore.
Don't understand how. My pants don't last two months being worn once a week before the crotch blows out. Even tried getting 34s, even though I need a belt to keep 32s from falling off.

KOG72

I’m full of it
Don't understand how. My pants don't last two months being worn once a week before the crotch blows out. Even tried getting 34s, even though I need a belt to keep 32s from falling off.
Well I rather have my balls hanging out in my own yard instead of out on my route.

Staydryitsraining

I'd pretty much agree. Even the most optimistic workers in our facility have largely given up hope that upper management will exhibit more sensible decision making or behavior. The upheaval that the Saturday service implementation caused on staffing, operations and morale last year really never subsided. That combined with their dreadful planning for peak season was bad enough, but when RDO was taken away in favor of something as inadequate as ORION, that was a point of no return for a lot of the delivery drivers. That job was already hard enough as it was and the last thing that needed to be done after the recent history of half baked rollouts and initiatives was insist on saddling drivers with something that's making working conditions even worse. Just seems like we are losing so many of the most durable and dedicated guys that have either gotten fed up and either retired early or gone into feeders. When the best of the best in the workforce begin losing the faith so rapidly, it really underscores the resentment.
Everything the company implements is to make the job easier to do for someone with no experience or less bodies. Automation got rid of sort aisles and from what i heard places have already started the trailers that unload them selves just leaving bodies to load trucks.
Well I rather have my balls hanging out in my own yard instead of out on my route.
Depends on the route