Is there really a possibility of a strike?

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
If so why? I mean I understand this place sucks and everyone is overworked constantly but is there anything in particular that we are going to strike about? I don't understand what's different now than any other time I've worked here the past nearly 4 years

dudebro

Yes. The Teamsters struck most recently in 1997. There was a "wildcat" one-day strike in 1993 or so about over 70's. So yes, there's ALWAYS the possibility of a strike. When you say "the place sucks and everyone is overworked". Part of the Union's charter is to consistently fight for better working conditions for their membership.

Returntosender

We’ll be observant look at all mangement in training classes these past weeks. You can safely assume diring negotiations something came up both sides are taking hardline stances.

Management is preparing for for strike! hazmat/ support role employee in driver training. Security personnel increase staffing at entry points.

Yes. The Teamsters struck most recently in 1997. There was a "wildcat" one-day strike in 1993 or so about over 70's. So yes, there's ALWAYS the possibility of a strike. When you say "the place sucks and everyone is overworked". Part of the Union's charter is to consistently fight for better working conditions for their membership.
93 wasn't exactly a wildcat. UPS dies what it always does best...find a loophole. They waited until the contract passed , then dropped the overweights in our face.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads

So that's what the strike is about then? Just the general overworking of drivers? Because I am starting to get away with not busting my ass nearly as much in the hub and there are people that do a lot less than even I do so I'm assuming it's mostly drivers.

I mean we have people pt in the hub stressing out at their pull and working through break and everything else to keep up but I've worked here long enough to know better.

I've seen plenty come and go and the people that can do the job and work hard get put on difficult/heavy positions while the other new hires that can't either get harrassed daily or promoted to supervision.

Cementups

Box Monkey
There is always a possibility of a strike. If there even is a strike it will be a day or three at best. The last strike in 1997, we were still a privately owned company and the company lost a lot in that two weeks. As a publicly traded company UPS has too much to lose and the chances of us going on strike are much lower. While I'm not saying there isn't a chance, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

There is always a possibility of a strike. If there even is a strike it will be a day or three at best. The last strike in 1997, we were still a privately owned company and the company lost a lot in that two weeks. As a publicly traded company UPS has too much to lose and the chances of us going on strike are much lower. While I'm not saying there isn't a chance, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
My sup told me they cancelled his August vacation

rod

Retired 22 years
Sometimes a strike is necessary to at least maintain what the workers before you fought hard for. Right now things are going the wrong way and the workers are losing holidays and pay increases and many other things. This should NOT be happening with a company as prosperous as UPS is. It boils down to "do you want your fair share of the pie" or do you want the other side to reap ALL of the profits? Wake up people.

Sometimes a strike is necessary to at least maintain what the workers before you fought hard for. Right now things are going the wrong way and the workers are losing holidays and pay increases and many other things. This should NOT be happening with a company as prosperous as UPS is. It boils down to "do you want your fair share of the pie' or do you want the other side to reap ALL of the profits. Wake up people.
They raise the dividends all of the time but a new dolly or uniforms aren't in the budget

bowhnterdon

I seriously doubt a strike will be called. The one in 94 and 97 were called by a different kind of Union President. One who actually worked for these basterds at one time...

Shiftless

During the last strike it really showed how many drivers live on the edge financially.
Management and Teamster relations took a HARD HIT!
UPS losses were somewhere around 600 Million for the 15 day shut down was reported.

BE PREPARED! There may not be a strike, but if there is one, you cant say you did not know it was coming!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
things are getting worse everyday at UPS and a strike should be called before you guys and gals lose everything generations of the past worked and bled for.

possibility? yes

probability? NO . not with current president of Teamsters.

Jimmy Hoffa Sr? Yes , in a heartbeat.

bumped

93 wasn't exactly a wildcat. UPS dies what it always does best...find a loophole. They waited until the contract passed , then dropped the overweights in our face.

Just like the last contract. Contract is ratified and then we were forced to work Black Friday.