Is there really a possibility of a strike?

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
6:15. Right there.

Today in 2018, never gonna happen. I need my iPhone and I need it NOW. Who do you think you are? Lazy teamsters getting paid $35/hr. to sit in a truck seat all day. Get off your butts and give me my purple mattress and dog food!

Undertow

Everything the company implements is to make the job easier to do for someone with no experience or less bodies. Automation got rid of sort aisles and from what i heard places have already started the trailers that unload them selves just leaving bodies to load trucks.

Depends on the route
ORION has not made the job of delivery driving "easier to do for someone with no experience". If anything, it's had the exact opposite effect. For it to work, experienced drivers wouldn't be repeatedly asked several times a week every week to go and take deliveries off the new hires who don't have the years of are knowledge to contend with ORION's flawed and scrambled trace.

"Just leaving bodies to load trucks"? And yet the preload is still chronically understaffed despite all these talked about "advancements" in technology. Nobody outside the realm of operations ever seems to want to acknowledge that reality either.

Staydryitsraining

ORION has not made the job of delivery driving "easier to do for someone with no experience". If anything, it's had the exact opposite effect. For it to work, experienced drivers wouldn't be repeatedly asked several times a week every week to go and take deliveries off the new hires who don't have the years of are knowledge to contend with ORION's flawed and scrambled trace.

"Just leaving bodies to load trucks"? And yet the preload is still chronically understaffed despite all these talked about "advancements" in technology. Nobody outside the realm of operations ever seems to want to acknowledge that reality either.
Preload is not staffed because of the pay and the expectations set by management and the working conditions. I dont think i said anything about orion. However, if someone who never delivered jumped into the pc lets say under a strike, they would be told follow these stops use your gps to find them. That is easier then 10 years ago someone who has never delivered jumping in and delivering

Staydryitsraining

A

Also to clarify, im aware that rdo is faster and makes more sense. I fully believe orion was created so they could say it saves fuel and in hopes that they could license it.

Undertow

Preload is not staffed because of the pay and the expectations set by management and the working conditions. I dont think i said anything about orion. However, if someone who never delivered jumped into the pc lets say under a strike, they would be told follow these stops use your gps to find them. That is easier then 10 years ago someone who has never delivered jumping in and delivering
Perhaps true in the event of a strike where volume is a tiny fraction of the norm and there's barely enough volume to make the shelves look somewhat full. Less than 100 stops with ability to print maps might be doable for someone without much experience for a very short time.

But a strike is a scenario that only appears as a possibility every 5-6 years and actually takes place at a rate far less than even that which leaves a lot of time in between for the overwhelmingly more likely situation of drivers contending with a dispatch program that seems to think a driver can safely and easily squeeze and navigate through floor to ceiling boxes to dig out a letter off the 7200 shelf section for no other reason than that stop happens to be across the street from the first air stop of the day. Never mind that there's a pickup 7 hours later at the address next door or that the truck will be passing that stop to do resis later in the afternoon.

It's not strictly that the program is flawed. It's that it's been flawed since being implemented and that was well over 5 years ago and getting worse instead of better. If it's inadequacy is resulting in the most valuable talent among delivery drivers either retiring early or running to feeders, then there's not much evidence to suggest new hires making say half of full scale pay are going to fill the void created by that abrupt loss of talent before the next peak season if they mange to even last that long. And the company can't afford to mismanage itself into another peak season as awful as the last one was. Management can talk about automation. AI, drones, and self driving trucks all they want for the future but that won't change the fact that they are failing with regard to the now.

Undertow

A

Also to clarify, im aware that rdo is faster and makes more sense. I fully believe orion was created so they could say it saves fuel and in hopes that they could license it.
It might depend on just how the GPS algorithm is programmed. On a map, it can save miles in resi subdivisions if the business come off first. It's when the variables within the map come into play where it becomes far more complicated. If say a route is situated far off from the facility, the program might direct a driver to take side streets to the area because in actual distance traveled, the trip might be a mile less than taking the freeway 15 miles, but doing that often takes far more time and can even burn more fuel with all the stoplights.

Someone further up the chain of command may or may not have OK'd something such as that going forward with or without knowing the discrepancy and that's only one example out of many. In theory, I can almost understand why someone would want to try it, but after years and years of it failing to work I can't see a legit reason to insist it continue if they can't fix it as it's clear the program can't fix itself.

dudebro

93 wasn't exactly a wildcat. UPS dies what it always does best...find a loophole. They waited until the contract passed , then dropped the overweights in our face.

You may be right - I was too new in the company at that point to understand it - all I knew was what people in mgmt called it (right or wrong) and what the issue was. I didn't know there were prior negotiations that promised something different.

You may be right - I was too new in the company at that point to understand it - all I knew was what people in mgmt called it (right or wrong) and what the issue was. I didn't know there were prior negotiations that promised something different.
They just need to bargain in good faith. Bit that's not how they roll
Shove it down.oir throats and let the grievances fall where they may...

john chesney

Wonder if anyone has noticed when ordering uniforms they are only allowing 2 shirts and want old ones back.Also have a retired management person on my route and he told me he got an email asking for all old uniforms be returned.I think they may be trying to keep inventory in case we walk.Just a thought.
They refused to order me new uniforms because I told them I needed them for my retirement bond fire

john chesney

What are you "bonding" over? Since they won't let you burn new uniforms, you should ask them for your employee file to burn.
You would never believe how big that file is. It came in on a dolly about 4 foot high stack.every single paper was in there I mean everything 8 hour requests everything. I only seen this once as a BA. I think there is a small one at the center but a big one somewhere else. I was shocked

Rack em

Made the Podium
You would never believe how big that file is. It came in on a dolly about 4 foot high stack.every single paper was in there I mean everything 8 hour requests everything. I only seen this once as a BA. I think there is a small one at the center but a big one somewhere else. I was shocked
I think a lot of it is the yearly safety ride they do. They have a massive packet for every year which is a waste of paper. They could cut one less stop per car if they didn't waste so much paper ;)

john chesney

What are you "bonding" over? Since they won't let you burn new uniforms, you should ask them for your employee file to burn.
I got plenty of union letters,grievances,Osha and Eeoc charges and depositions. Safe driving cardboard boxes and a lifelike dummy of a supervisor

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
Possibility of an agreement to continue working under the old contract?

like we have in the past, i'm absolutely convinced we will work under a extension if there's no deal by August 1st. so even if we do end up striking (which i highly doubt is gonna happen), i bet it wont be until sometime in 2019