UPS is what you make of it. I have worked there for two years. It has its ups and downs, but I have had jobs that were far more terrible than UPS. I have found that every job you take will have complaints and unhappy employees but that if you look at the people who complain they arent going any where. They stay because they figure its bad enough to wine about but not to pick up and start over.

Can someone tell me what is so physically strenuous about being a driver? I am genuinely asking, not being a smart ass. I do not know what the job entails, which is why I'm curious. I, like any other non employee, see the drivers drive a big brown van and get out and bring packages to your front door. What do I not know about that gives drivers such a physical beating?

DS

Fenderbender
Ok I`ll do my best to explain.
First of all we accept up to 150 lb packages.
They tell us to ask for help with these,but its
often there is none available.Back stress is probobly
the most common injury.More often than not there
are bulk stops (multiple packages to one place)
piled on the floor of the truck.Bending over to
pick up 30 65 lb boxes and lift them up onto a dock is
hard work even if you do it safely.That is one stop.
(a stop is one delivery or one pickup)
Most upsdrivers do about 120-150 stops a day,
although is some residential areas they do a helluva
lot more.Most ups trucks(package cars) have a step
that is around 1 1/2 ft off the ground so you are
climbing in or out of it 120 times every day.Over time,
this can take its toll on your knees.The constant lifting causes some drivers elbows acute elbow pain.
I guess the biggest factor is how your body breaks
down over the years from moving around approx
4000lbs every day,(thats about 1,000,000 lbs every year)
day in day out with as ups calls it,
(a sense of urgency).
and believe me kid,Nobody is unbreakable.
I hope I shed some light on your question,and I`m sure
I forgot to mention lots of other variables.

and believe me kid,Nobody is unbreakable.

One, I'm not a kid at 23 years old. Two, you don't have to tell me about no one being unbreakable, I came within an inch of death after a car accident about 2 years ago. My screen name does not signify unbreakability in the physical sense.

Thanks for the run down on the strenuous aspects of being a driver, nonetheless.

helenofcalifornia

Sorry, but if you are almost 50, everyone younger is a kid. See, if you work for UPS you develop a thick skin to remarks like that. That is one of the unstated job requirements.

tieguy

Banned
I did. I did!!

I think I confused the issue. I was quoting Trick who likes to finish sharing his wisdom by using the "but what do I know, I'm just a dumb truck driver" line.

Professor is good though and a lot nicer then the names my photographer buddy likes to call me. :thumbup1:

DS

Fenderbender
I didn`t mean to offend with the kid thing..
when I was 23 the radio was playing YMCA
by the village people...shadow dancing by andy gibb
miss you by the stones...Bill gates was born the same year
I was...Gaaaa and I went the package driver route

Iconoclast

Awwrrigghht!!! Good stuff Tie - Let's chop this up (you know what I mean) I am going to try and take a page out of your book Tie, and do this in a somewhat abbreviated fashion.

were you rewarded for your performance. How has your career gone.

Yes, I have been rewarded, not solely financially though. I have earned the respect and ear of quite a few of my management brethren. I have also been recognized professionally for my efforts. I am no longer looked at as someone who is disruptive, but a major contributor to the effort we all face every day. I go about it differently, and the road has been long, but you know the old saying - “I chose the road less traveled by, and it has made all the difference.”

wow break the union?

Bad choice of words? I would cop to that… but, I dunno...how do you say this lightly. I don't believe that we can compete with a union platform. There must be some compelling reason that we have been lobbying in DC all of these years; FedEx is classified differently than us. I don't think our motivation was to compete on a different scale, it was to level the playing field and ultimately see them organized, How many millions have we spent in that pursuit? That doesn’t seem to be a viable option anymore, so what next?

You could reasonably make an argument that the company is growing not being crippled. What measurement do you use in deterring the company is being crippled?

Good point - record profits, an outstanding credit rating and solid leadership status in our industry - this point is easily contested. My opinion-the return to shareholder has been very poor in the years since going public, also, the presence of competition in our marketplace has impacted us severely. We have a tremendous amount of strife and angst in our jobs that is eroding this company’s morale and efforts to move forward. Lastly, our work force is more educated and the big reward for a 25 year career is not nearly what it used to be, people leave UPS at a much higher rate than they used to, our competition is more than happy to take these folks and brain drain hurts a company that promotes from within.

I have to disagree with you on this one. You have no idea of the tremendous amount of pressure all management are under to achieve results. You really slap them in the face when you make this assessment from the outside.

How long do you have to work at UPS to not be considered from the outside. If someone has 40 years experience and you have 20, are you still from the outside? I am not from the outside, I have been here almost 14 years, 10+ when I wrote that in 2003. I feel the same pressures you do every day, we all do. You don't need to work at UPS for 10 years before you are considered an insider, you also don’t need to drive a package car to negotiate a contract - 2 years at any job will give you a very solid perspective of the company and its nuances. It doesn't mean that you have knowledge of every position in the company, but you will certainly know what is going on. Light from the outside can be a very good thing, that is why so many successful companies DON'T entirely promote from within.

sounds like positive qualities?

They are expected qualities. If someone were to come up for promotion it would be expected that they didn't do those things or they wouldn’t even be a consideration. For arguments sake, let's say that they were also indecisive, not well respected by their boss, peers or people. Let's also say that their performance overall in their respective areas was very poor and the performance indicators reflected a consistent track record of such. Could they still be promoted, of course - maybe they were passed over 3-4 times, but eventually they could very well find themselves in management. After all, they are trying the best that they can, right?

how can you be both? Your poor results for having the latter traits would seem to contradict your achieving the former traits?

How so? Many good people with solid character are completely overwhelmed by their jobs at UPS every day. It doesn't mean that they are late, won‘t cover vacation and aren’t really, really nice people, it just means that they are incapable of running the area that they have been assigned, and developing the people who are in their charge.

yez zer we jist gots done postin dat managment seniority list yisterday

Education is not found in textbooks. It is found in the interaction of ideas, wisdom and experiences of individuals. Individuals who have chosen to share the aforementioned in a manner that is respectful and open to the ideas of different people from all walks of life. Every religion, creed and color. It makes EVERY job easier because it gives the individual the ability to listen to almost anything without losing his/her temper or self confidence.

Education makes people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern, but impossible to enslave.

It is not the degree on the wall that allows one the ability to overcome difficult obstacles-it is what that degree represents.

No organization in the world can ever find itself in a position of having TOO many educated people in its employ.

Your basis for this assertion when you get done looking down your nose at us hicks.

Again; education makes EVERY job easier because it gives the individual the ability to listen to almost anything without losing his/her temper or self confidence. In short; I am not talking about any one person specifically on this issue, just an issue -
you just happen to take it personally. There is a big difference.

It would be interesting to see how you feel when you have 28 years of service and you're trying to hang on for two years while all those bright eyed youngsters and their new fangled computer toys run circles around you. Should we fire the old managers and sups when they are close to retirement?

You shouldn’t fire tenured management for the same reasons that you promote tenured management; solely because they are tenured. You should eliminate incapable management regardless of their tenure. Hire slow - fire fast.

oops answered that question.

Ditto.

You seem to indicate this traits are to be associated with a senior partner. Wouldn't that person be weeded out early. If they somehow slip through the cracks should we then discharge them when they are a couple of years away from retirement. Interesting case you are making here.

This is a toughie, you are dead right, many are tenured and close to retirement. The ultimate goal of any corporation is to make money, not be charitable. Return to the shareholder is king, period. The day we went public we stopped being a private club who made their own rules. Nobody who is a long time UPS employee wanted to see that MIP change, I mean nobody. Nobody wants our pension to go away, but eventually it will. The shareholders don’t care and they forced our hand. If we are going to compete in the world of big business, cuts have to be made, that is reality.

how do they make their millions? It would seem a company led by senioractacy would quickly fold?

No. It is too big to quickly fold, it can erode though. It can lose market share, suffer layoffs, cutbacks. It can reduce it’s bonus structure and also do away with it’s pension and it can also suffer a bad reputation that makes it hard to find good people. I think that this thread started with an innocent question-Is UPS really this bad?

I know I'm gratefull you have alerted us to this horror. I'm curious though how do you think this company survived and keeps posting record profits with such a screwed up management mentality?

Money begets money. How many years were we absolutely the only game in town. In many respects we are still the only carrier that does what we do on such a huge scale. We have never really measured ourselves against anyone else, so what pressure was there? How could you not make money? The game has changed.

and yet per your words you wish to reward this teamster work force by breaking the union getting rid of them?

See above. Question 2

No doubt you will lead us to your vision of a company that no longer values years of service and rewards our teamster employees by breaking their union. What will this phoenix that rises from these ashes look like. What will the management morale be like when they see their partners fired within years of retirement. How will our younger partners perform when they no longer have any old farts around to teach them how to talk to people. Should be interesting. I look forward to more discussions as we rebuild this company in your vision.

I am sticking around for the ride - there is a lot of work to do, that’s for sure - but in the end the new UPS will be leaner, stronger and hopefully, much more profitable-remember, the shareholders demand it.

tieguy

Banned
Bad choice of words? I would cop to that… but, I dunno...how do you say this lightly. I don't believe that we can compete with a union platform. There must be some compelling reason that we have been lobbying in DC all of these years; FedEx is classified differently than us. I don't think our motivation was to compete on a different scale, it was to level the playing field and ultimately see them organized, How many millions have we spent in that pursuit? That doesn’t seem to be a viable option anymore, so what next?

I understand the point about a union work force. DHL is union.
The post office is union. Fdx pilots.

In the case of fdx ground we have contractors versus our union workforce. I'm not sold on the idea that fdx can adequately compete against us using contractors. I don't believe this company can survive decertification of the union.
Our future depends on our building a working partnership with the teamsters. Thats going to be tough to do. Even now you can read through threads on this site and see people complain because they think Hoffa is in bed with UPS. This despite the point that the CS pension plan can not survive without UPS.
Being a union shop could end up killing us trying to decert would definitely kill us.

Good point - record profits, an outstanding credit rating and solid leadership status in our industry - this point is easily contested. My opinion-the return to shareholder has been very poor in the years since going public, also, the presence of competition in our marketplace has impacted us severely.

Agreed. I firmly believe we should have stayed private.

How long do you have to work at UPS to not be considered from the outside.

My reference to the outside was more so to your not being a front line management person. There is something to the thought of walking the mile in someone shoes before you pass judgement.

How so? Many good people with solid character are completely overwhelmed by their jobs at UPS every day. It doesn't mean that they are late, won‘t cover vacation and aren’t really, really nice people, it just means that they are incapable of running the area that they have been assigned, and developing the people who are in their charge.

And thus these well meaning,dedicated hard working individuals who are viewed as being ineffective become expendable. And once you have a process in place where you deem people expendable for the good of the organization then you have to have a fair method of determining their effectiveness before you find them expendable. Its not an easy determination. I've seen many people over the years that were overwhelmed in one assignment but excelled in many others.

Again; education makes EVERY job easier because it gives the individual the ability to listen to almost anything without losing his/her temper or self confidence. In short; I am not talking about any one person specifically on this issue, just an issue -
you just happen to take it personally. There is a big difference.

Nope never took it personally. But I have seen the marketplace change. There was a time we could easily hire and fire at will. If the shoe didnt fit can em. In todays world with a shrinking labor pool we have to make the decision to give up on someone a lot more carefully.

Return to the shareholder is king, period.
The day we went public we stopped being a private club who made their own rules. Nobody who is a long time UPS employee wanted to see that MIP change, I mean nobody. Nobody wants our pension to go away, but eventually it will. The shareholders don’t care and they forced our hand. If we are going to compete in the world of big business, cuts have to be made, that is reality.

The problem with the MIP issue is we told everyone that we had a bad year and cut that compensation by 33 percent. We then told the upper echelons that they had a good year and rewarded them with a 110 percent of their yearly salary bonus. Somebodies reading the same number two different ways. then take your measurement. Net profit smoked. Record profits. Last time I looked profits translated into real dollars and all those other ambiguous measurements did not.

I am sticking around for the ride - there is a lot of work to do, that’s for sure - but in the end the new UPS will be leaner, stronger and hopefully, much more profitable-remember, the shareholders demand it.

I don't know if I'm happy dancing to the whims of the market considering how rudely they have treated us. We have posted some terrific results in the past 7 years. Best margins in the business. And yet our share price sputters.

Sammie

How attractive do these jobs look compared to what you have to contend with??? My feeder dr. hubby would choose his job over any of these hands down.

Click on "Return to First Slide"

Forbes.com

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.
12. Etc, etc.

1. No OT? In a union shop? I don't think so.
2. I've worked my share of 13 hr days. On average though I do about 10 hrs per day.
3. Not at my centre. I was hired as a part-time driver. Went full-time after about 18 months. Again, those opportunities are awarded by seniority.
4. Supervisors are jackasses, yeah, but remember, you're in a UNION.
5. I don't think it is.
6. Can't answer that as I never had that experience
7. Yeah, I hurt all over. It's a very physical job. I'm only 32 but I feel ancient most days.
8. Oh noes, I'm a statistic!!!!
9. Only in the first 30 days and only then it depends on the kind of accident. I sideswiped a tire-rack in our building one day on my third week on the job, tore a big hole in the side of the truck. Got a two-day unpaid vacation.
10. Again, UNION!
11. Yeah, in addition to the physical stress there is mental stress as well as you're worrying about getting your air done on time etc.

hitbit

No UPS are fine, the problem is some of the so called managers are less than human, usually the ones that are scared ****less of having to offer excuses to their superiors.

hitbit

I'll try to keep my recent experiences abbreviated:

1) Met with center manager for an interview PT driver. All went good;
2) Played phone tag to arrange physical and driver test. When dates set booked off work, drove an hour and a half to centre to be told driver test had to be rescheduled. Oh, physical would be later in the day 7 hrs to be exact in another town. So much for plans of the day;
3) HR called me Tue/Wed to prepare for training the following week. When told of my current full time job and proper notice, HR told me to make "arrangements". Yes, notice of 3 days instead of professional courtesy of 2 weeks;
4) Arrived a training facility. One week of training without driving a single vehicle. Driver's test would have to take place at centre;
5) Arrived a centre to begin life as an UPSer. Training would consist mostly on the job. Drivers test with center manager didn't go so well. Who knew how hard driving a package car without power steering would be (lol). 3 rides with center manager then on my own;
6) Part Time Driver/Cover Driver/Express Air delivery days. Call in. Work would be discussed when I arrived. Different start times (06:30 am - 10:00 am), different routes, vehicles and package amounts. center manager would get to me when he could. Disliked coming in and having center manager point at package car stating "there's your truck". Thank God for map book and the excuse of being the "new" guy;
7) Training consists of not making mistakes, making mistakes and having other drivers correct them and center manager speaking to me days after mistakes made. center manager knows that I've never did this type of work so doesn't expect much from me. He still asks if I know my ID number because I couldn't remember it first week (3 months as UPSer);
8) Currently on call from Jan. 1/08. Call in by 08:00 am to see if I am working. Can count on 2 hands the amount of times I call and get answering machine. I know they are busy but can't understand that no call backs from centre to tell me that I'm not needed. In the past, they have called me in between 10:30 am and 12:00 pm. Must stay in uniform "just in case";
10) My feeling right now is that it will be hard to justify staying in light of pay issues, seniority, type of work involved, probation marathon, lack of comradery due to a non-consistant work environment etc etc;

Now, I've had many jobs before and probably many after. UPS is a different creature. Many drivers I've talked to "hate" UPS but like the pay/benefits. I try not to paint everyone with a broad brush but it's my understanding that "watch you back", "UPS is only interested in the money", "put your time in, take the crap they give you and once your in the union you're set" type of comments are pervasive. I came to UPS with and open mind and will continue to watch and learn about what goes on. I will make sure that I keep my options open and not become jaded. I do see valid reasons why people quit sometimes within the first week. I also see why we have people working 25 yrs +.

Is UPS really this bad to work for, or are people exaggerating?? - the job is what you make it. Just make sure you don't take too many years to find out you hate it. You won't get that time back, my friend.

P.S Here is a link to a study done by Cornell University concerning Part Time Workers and Turnover. "Interesting Read"

http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/reports/4/

FYI

paidslave

Feel free to call the 1 800 number or the president on the inhumane. If that person does not have enough compassion to call you for a family emergency then that person does not deserve to work for the brown machine. I have no compassion for nor do I enjoy defending someone who is so insensitive to someones basic human needs. We have an obligation to do everything we can to weed out anyone so thoughtless.

Very nice post.....God forbid someone didn't notify me of a life long changing event where a loved one is dieing and UPS didn't notify me....I carry a cell phone so I wouldn't have to let UPS notify me...

They do have certainly have many commitments running this place!

I really think tieguy you are a good person....but I think that in some way we all cut off our emotions from the real world and become narricists......only because we don't know how else to deal with or cope with a situation!

I really do beleive that if we all had some compassion we wouldn't cop the bad attitudes toward management and union!

We are all human and money is not everything!

I like the post! Thanks

Tony31yrs

I retired after 31 years and loved the job itself, the customers, the pay, the benefits and the pension. If it weren't for the union though-it would be a horrible job. Use the union if you have trouble, but don't go out of your way to cause trouble.

By giving you all these benefits, they expect an honest day's pay. This is alright, but they always want more. The job can be good depending on the supe, manager or district manager. Crap rolls downhill and if the guy at the top is a b*st*rd, then he will force those under him to be the same. Don't completely trust anyone in management. I worked for some supes who were great under one manager and horrible under another. Remember, if it comes down to their job or yours-you'll suffer.

I was lucky enough to get my 30 and out without any really bad injuries, but I know that I will eventually be suffering from arthritis in my knees, wrists and ankles. You can't do that kind of repetive work day after day without some consequences.

In NY State, we weren't allowed to drive more than 12 hrs a day by law. I always assumed it was a national law, but I may be wrong.

In closing, do the job, don't cause trouble, don't let them stick it to you and get a system down so that you can work at a good pace without endangering your health. Don't let them mess with your mind too much or you won't make retirement.