Being a new part time driver you are probably not in a driver group with a dedicated sup yet. Next time you have a chance, talk to the FT sups, explain to them the problems you have had finding out when you were supposed to actually come in. See if one or two of them will give you their cell phone number so if you can't get an answer on the center phone, you can call them direct.
To stay or not to stay is something you just have to decide on your own. The real question is, how much crap can you stand? Regardless of how good or bad the center management team may be, there is a limit as to what each individual can cope with. Only you know what and where that limit is set. Good luck to you, I hope it all works out to your benefit.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I have worked for them a short time in my long driving career, but I find that no matter where you go.....There you are. Not much changes except the faces.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Be glad you work for UPS and not the competition. Sure, it's a difficult job and they expect a lot, but so do other employers.The delivery business is fast-paced everywhere...it is the nature of this business. UPS pays it workers fairly,mainly because it recognizes as a corporation that it is in it's best interest to do so. Having the strength and leverage of the Teamsters also helps ensure you have an excellent wage and benefit package. Before you bash UPS, ask some of the other people who work in this industry how they are treated and then re-think your position on this issue.

UPS Lifer

Braveheart
I don't know what part of the country you are from but part time supervisors in California get OT or a higher rate of pay for everything over 5 hours a day and 25 hours a week. After 8 hours / 40 hours the rate goes to 1.5 times. After a 6th day the rate is double time. After 12 hours they get double time. PT sups start off with a salary based on 25 hours. The salary is broken down to an hourly rate for the purpose of paying OT.
No FT sups or managers get OT but a good manager or Division Manager will make sure that you get corresponding time off if you work more than 10 hours a day. California has strict labor laws and most mgrs do not want to play games abusing supervisor hours. Due to California law management has to take their lunches and they have to force the PT sups to take a lunch.

I personally got 2 to 3 extra days off for the time I had to work during peak season. We do have to take it early in the year. I usually added the time to the New Years Holiday. I made sure my sups got their days off also. You don't play games with people's time off!

Critic112

To Johnbirshire:

Your Question: Is UPS really this bad to work for, or are people exaggerating??

:surprised:See and hear for youself if these exaggerations concerning any allegations you might have heard about UPS are true. But first view this whole website and audio tracks exposing abuse treatment during grievance proceedings, and the unjust termination involving the UPS driver for having an accident with the company vehicle because UPS was not satisfied in the way the accident was reported. Note: Don't be suprised or be persuaded by others comments made claiming he deserved being fired. They do not have the full facts. They are going by rumors in what they hear and want to hear. These people including the union 455/employees/supervisors and mangers are bias towards this individual because they are sleeping with the company. Note: The audio tracks and testimony from the female driver claimed UPS management set her up in going after this driver because the driver was like a thorn in the company's side. This driver continued to experience abuse treatment due to his filing grievances along with his wages embezzled out the backside of his pay-roll checks. The evidence at corporate-misconduct.com (News Page) will provide you with other ex-UPS employees coming forward with there testimonies admitting on audio tracks to simular allegations. One ex-UPS employee who experienced abuse treatment claiming: "unjust termination related to illegal activities" and "Theft Ring" existing at the UPS facility Hub in Misquite TX. All this will ansewer to any curiosity you have concerning exaggerations in regard to the allegations existing out at UPS reveals unfair labor practices concerning union corruption, discrimination, bigotry & harassment in UPS workplace :dissapointed:

Critic112

I've been a member of this forum community for two days now, as a result of starting a part-time position as a driver helper next week.

And I was just curious from reading most of the posts, is UPS really as horrible as people make it out to be?

Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.
12. Etc, etc.

Also, I visted the website Vault: The Most Trusted Name in Career Information and looked up "UPS". This website is great for a job seeker, because you get to see what employees of a company have to say about working for this company. For UPS, most of the comments are horrendous....let me quote a few:

"UPS allows and encourages it's center managers to push, degrade, humiliate, find fault"

"Unfair treatment, overwork not rewarded, for hard work we are asked to perform 100% each and everyday"

"Most unprofessional place I ever worked, run like a prison."

"A horrific experience probably equivalent to Iraq (without the blood and gore). Not fun at all."

"Non-stop stress, upper management is never satisfied with anyone's performance, no matter how good your center's performance is".

"Very bad all around"

From what I have read about UPS in the last two days of researching the company, my stomach feels sick. Should I look elsewhere and not start next week? Or are the comments I am reading from a very minor percentage of UPS employees?

Critic112

I've been a member of this forum community for two days now, as a result of starting a part-time position as a driver helper next week.

And I was just curious from reading most of the posts, is UPS really as horrible as people make it out to be?

Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.
12. Etc, etc.

Also, I visted the website Vault: The Most Trusted Name in Career Information and looked up "UPS". This website is great for a job seeker, because you get to see what employees of a company have to say about working for this company. For UPS, most of the comments are horrendous....let me quote a few:

"UPS allows and encourages it's center managers to push, degrade, humiliate, find fault"

"Unfair treatment, overwork not rewarded, for hard work we are asked to perform 100% each and everyday"

"Most unprofessional place I ever worked, run like a prison."

"A horrific experience probably equivalent to Iraq (without the blood and gore). Not fun at all."

"Non-stop stress, upper management is never satisfied with anyone's performance, no matter how good your center's performance is".

"Very bad all around"

From what I have read about UPS in the last two days of researching the company, my stomach feels sick. Should I look elsewhere and not start next week? Or are the comments I am reading from a very minor percentage of UPS employees?

Critic112

SUMMARY:

This Website: :censored2: is designed to inform the viewer and listener the time has come to see the world as it is regarding matters of grave importance concerning corporate misconduct and unfair labor practices. The Company’s union did not represent this employee as they should have. This union accepts and tolerates inappropriate behavior in the mistreatment of individuals or employees whose rights have no place in one corporate industry :sad: (UPS).

Synopsis:
Here is evidence of audio tracks :thumbup1: secretly recorded during grievance proceeding at UPS in Denver CO. regarding a driver who was accused of an allegation having no merit to these accusations was discriminated, harassed and abused :sad: during these proceedings as Teamsters local union 435 stood by and allowed this abusive behavior from the company (UPS) to continue:mad: . We invite you to please review this website: :censored2: in order to understand the severity and ongoing occurrences of abusive behavior and discrimination in violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Please publish this article based upon evidence: Revealing and exposing embezzlement of money illegally taken out from the backside of this driver's weekly payroll checks:crying: , and the results in the outcome and fate of this employee (driver) during his employment with UPS have filed a wage claim with the Department of Labor, and filed charges with the (NLRB) National Labor Relations Board against local 435 who did not represent and protect this driver during his employment with UPS. The employee (driver) had filed continuous grievances over the same issues relating to his nightmare on-going- payroll problems, and article 37 harassment :sad: concerns exposing abusive behavior, and discrimination with limited solutions, and no results from teamster’s local union 435. UPS retaliated against the driver in filing grievances and charges related to the issues at hand. Other employees with UPS have experienced a similar fate; set-up by the union then UPS terminated them for unjust cause:sad: . Still today UPS employee’s are being mistreated and abused by bigotry and discrimination at various levels evoking grave concerns. Note: See (Evidence) News page & Resources page of website: :censored2: Open link: Letter Addressed: District Manager United Parcel Service from Colo. House Of Representatives 4-29-97 Please respond or forward this email to the appropriate investigative News I-team who will assist and help expose these allegations regarding the Teamsters, Local 435, and UPS who continues to get away with hell! Note: Detailed facts of Evidence: Synopsis, documents, letters from government agencies, witnesses, audio tracks:laugh: and transcripts can be obtained through website: :censored2: exposing union corruption, and corporate misconduct: Inappropriate behavior, labor abuse and discrimination at various levels of employment with UPS. Please review Summary page, News page and Resources page from website: :censored2:. Your response to this news article would be appreciative. You may contact us from the email provided, and please view website: :censored2:
Note: :censored2: can now be viewed @ websites::ohmy:
Thank, You

theUPSman

The job is what you make it. Pre-loading is not bad at the center where i work. We average 600% volume daily. Right now, it's at about 400%. The work is not backbreaking. If you need help with a package, people are willing to help. There are about 30 drivers, and the average from pre-load to driver is a year and a half. Our supervisors are awesome. They're very fair about any problems that may arise. Supes. do not harrass people at my center. I love working there. They say that only the strong survive at UPS, and many of these fine people on this forum have done just that!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Perhaps you should call him into your office..lol...

:wink2:

I don't know - two people who were SUPPOSED to come to my office today didn't show. I believe they are questioning my authority....

Seriously, today was the start of my third week. Lost 10 lbs, getting real chest muscles again (compared to man-boobs) and feel strong as heck. I'm loving it so far.

Critic112

johnbirshire

your question, "is UPS really as horrible as people make it out to be"?
I would suggest you go to google.com and type in law suites against UPS or Youtube and hear it from the horse’s mouth in recordings from one individual employee among a view others who make similar allegations against UPS in how they were treated. Please put aside your loyalty towards the company and the teamsters you think highly of. Are you bias against the truth and secretly coming across as a driver, and really you are a union steward or in management with UPS? There could be no rebuttal in the claim that has been made to your response, unless you are wearing blinders and you are loyal to the union and to UPS.
You are either for us or against us as voices that challenge corporations like UPS. Employees are saying enough is enough! That is why our system in this country is breaking down and failing due to poor management and customer relationship. Corporations have taken advantage in the tax payers dollars from government bailout due to mismanaging there finances and going on a spending spree with our money! UPS takes advantage in there employees using them in an abusive discriminating manner!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't know - two people who were SUPPOSED to come to my office today didn't show. I believe they are questioning my authority....

Seriously, today was the start of my third week. Lost 10 lbs, getting real chest muscles again (compared to man-boobs) and feel strong as heck. I'm loving it so far.

BBAG! Where are my son? We miss you so!

ykl5tmn

Hi, sorry you had to hear all of this at one time. Most is true. I worked for UPS for 5 years. I worked Pre-load, Local Sort, (also was a drivers helper. I ran and ran and ran.) then went to management. It's very back breaking, they don't treat you well. Even other employees have no respect. They do demand perfection at all times and leave no room for error. The pay is good and benifits are a must in todays world. I encourage you to go in there strong minded and don't put up with crap right away. Get in the Union asap. It can be tolerated. Good Luck!! Oh by the way, I work for Fed-Ex ground now. The benefits arn't as good but the company and the people are great to work for and with. I love my job.