Kis124

in my hub, part timers cannot have their cell phones while working. My sup told me to give her number to people and she would get us in an emergency

UPS Lifer

I have worked for them a short time in my long driving career, but I find that no matter where you go.....There you are. Not much changes except the faces.

In my 35 plus years, I observed the oposite. Some operations ran like crap and others hummed. Some treated their people like crap and others treated them well. It boils down to who the management team is. You can be micromanaged from above and still treat your people well. I managed (not supervised) 13 plus operations and audited or assessed well over 60 other operations in 6 different districts and Hawaii.

moreluck

golden ticket member
In my 35 plus years, I observed the oposite. Some operations ran like crap and others hummed. Some treated their people like crap and others treated them well. It boils down to who the management team is. You can be micromanaged from above and still treat your people well. I managed (not supervised) 13 plus operations and audited or assessed well over 60 other operations in 6 different districts and Hawaii.

I wonder if my husband was MBC co-ordinator when you had Hawaii. Remember Roy W. ?

pberrioz

Telling you right now UPS is one of the best if not the best place to get a job with or without an education. Especially without an education, fulltime drivers make @30hr, where else can you make that kind of money without a bachelors degree? Granted you have to work your way up to that position, but still. my 2 cents

moreluck

golden ticket member
Telling you right now UPS is one of the best if not the best place to get a job with or without an education. Especially without an education, fulltime drivers make @30hr, where else can you make that kind of money without a bachelors degree? Granted you have to work your way up to that position, but still. my 2 cents
Years ago, I remember when Bob was driving and a neighbor was jealous because he had spent years in school and was now a Doctor of chemistry....got his job and made less than the UpS driver.

curiousbrain

I'm pretty sure the current contract is considerably less than 30$ an hour (57.6k a year, assuming 40 hours a week - obviously not the case with many drivers, but serves to illustrate the point). I could be wrong, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm pretty sure the current contract is considerably less than 30$ an hour (57.6k a year, assuming 40 hours a week - obviously not the case with many drivers, but serves to illustrate the point). I could be wrong, though.

FT seniority drivers make well over $30/hr. I make $29.77/hr--the reason for the difference is our split raises throughout this contract are being diverted to shore up our underfunded pension in upstate NY. $60K is the lower end, $75-80K the average and $90-100K the upper end. Feeder drivers make a little more and it is not unusual for a feeder driver to make $100K or more. These figures do not include our benefits.

curiousbrain

FT seniority drivers make well over $30/hr. I make $29.77/hr--the reason for the difference is our split raises throughout this contract are being diverted to shore up our underfunded pension in upstate NY. $60K is the lower end, $75-80K the average and $90-100K the upper end. Feeder drivers make a little more and it is not unusual for a feeder driver to make $100K or more. These figures do not include our benefits.

Information assimilated.

I've been retired since 1995? but back in the day the company slogan was "Work the mule till he drops then get a new mule" !! Don't know if that has changed but what the hell do you expect for the huge hourly wage that UPS pays, a pie job ?? Get real !!!

twoweeled

I've been a member of this forum community for two days now, as a result of starting a part-time position as a driver helper next week.

And I was just curious from reading most of the posts, is UPS really as horrible as people make it out to be?

Some of the things I've seen people say:
1. You don't get paid overtime.
2. You work 13 hours a day.
3. You have to work part-time doing backbreaking work as a preloader for years before you get a position in management or as a driver.
4. Supervisor's rule their stations with an iron fist and threaten people with false accusations.
5. Sexism is rampart.
6. You can be "on call" for months, meanwhile you are expected to call in every single day just to see if any work is available for you.
7. You retire with a blown back, bad knees, and in poor health.
8. A much higher than average divorce rate attributed to being a UPS employee.
9. If you get in an accident you are fired no questions asked.
10. Blackmail.
11. Mental anquish.
12. Etc, etc.

Also, I visted the website Vault: The Most Trusted Name in Career Information and looked up "UPS". This website is great for a job seeker, because you get to see what employees of a company have to say about working for this company. For UPS, most of the comments are horrendous....let me quote a few:

"UPS allows and encourages it's center managers to push, degrade, humiliate, find fault"

"Unfair treatment, overwork not rewarded, for hard work we are asked to perform 100% each and everyday"

"Most unprofessional place I ever worked, run like a prison."

"A horrific experience probably equivalent to Iraq (without the blood and gore). Not fun at all."

"Non-stop stress, upper management is never satisfied with anyone's performance, no matter how good your center's performance is".

"Very bad all around"

From what I have read about UPS in the last two days of researching the company, my stomach feels sick. Should I look elsewhere and not start next week? Or are the comments I am reading from a very minor percentage of UPS employees?
Almost all true.
1.They pay overtime, but some employees choose to work off the clock to make production numbers look better. That's their own fault.
2. 13 hour days, is true.
3. back breaking is true in essence.
4. Some Sups to rule with an iron fist, but not all.
5. Sexism is WAAAAYYYY overblown everywhere nowadays. I just ignore that BS. Everyone is abused, raped, and offended today.
6. Don't know. Doubt it, but I don't know.
7.you will retire will skeletal issues.
8. Divorce rate is very high.
9. YOu don't get fired for being in any accident. There's more to that. Can happen, but more to it.
10. Blackmail?
11. Plenty of mental anguish.
12. ect ect, is true.

UPS allows and encourages it's center managers to get production number up. Upper managment pretend like they don't know what center managers are doing. "don't ask, don't tell" attitude. Give me the numbers, I don't care what you do.

Unfair treatment? It's dog eat dog. It's a daily war. It really is a pressure cooker.

Overworked? You are paid. You have to decide if it's worth it. You are expected to produce at 100% every day.

It's not run like a prison. More like Military.

As I said. It's a war zone. You either yield to their wishes, or you will be in confrontations.

Not much fun today. Not in the hub anyway.

There is a lot to the recipe that makes UPS. Keep in mind it's a production oriented place. That is the company's blood. PRODUCTION!!! In short, the new management team is expected to improve on the previous management team's numbers. That makes it almost impossible at a certain point. So unrealistic performance is expected of you, as well as unrealistically performance from your management team. IT'S A FREAKIN PRESSURE COOKER IN UPS!! I'm surprised there hasn't been more people flipping out at UPS. There has been more than I believe many people know.

twoweeled

If you want to work for a company that will not call you and let you know when your mother in law dies, your father in law dies or your kid is in the emergency room because of drinking something poisonous then this is a GREAT place to work!
I remember I was brand new. My father in law had passed, and lived hundreds of miles away. I notified my management team. They expressed their condolences, but said I could not have the time off. I was too new to think they would bold face lie, and didn't check with the local. Of course I found out later - I think I was entitled to 3 days off. They got me!! I made sure to get them a few times after that, when I found out what the ground rules were. For management people reading these comments. If you've ever wondered, what makes certain employees the way they are? It's actions like this, that managers have taken. That was aprox 35 years ago, and it's as fresh today as 35 years ago. I was for some managers, their worse nightmare. Many of you managers created us. Keep that in mind the next time you feel the urge to screw one of the hourly's. Or even another manager is screwing over an hourly. It may be you managing him next year.

Last edited: