"Last, Best, and Final" offer sent to Local 89

Ron Carey lives on

Ron carey wasn't :censored2: without hall? Do you know anything about hall, Ron Carey or your current International President James P. Hoffa. Educate me on the history of these men. Especially how long they actually worked at a union trade

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Ron carey wasn't :censored2: without hall? Do you know anything about hall, Ron Carey or your current International President James P. Hoffa. Educate me on the history of these men. Especially how long they actually worked at a union trade
I had heard that Hall was against the strike in '97. Exactly who turned out to be right in that one-Carey.

slantnosechevy

FedEx Ground drivers are NLRB drivers like UPS drivers; the problem is they are employed by contractors; you'd have to organize each contractor, who'd then be dropped from his contract at first chance and replaced.

FedEx Freight has stayed non - union apparently because FedEx has been a little more nicer, knowing they could organize at anytime. However, I was recently on a trucker's forum - can't remember which - and apparently they are preparing to try and mount an organizing drive, as conditions have gotten worse for them and they want change.

Fred lost class action lawsuits in 17 states for not paying workmans comp since '02. Seems Fred owns two Senators in Tenn. and every time legislation is proposed to go after him it gets defeated after he throws cash to them and a few of their friends. UPS isn't going to pay congressmen to offset the problem because when it comes down to it they don't care. They have other plans in place should the Teamsters demise come down the road. They would rather see the Teamsters go after them with their money.... and they know they don't have the money for the fight. If they did this issue would've been taken care of by now. There's a slight chance of organizing Fedex freight but that's all it is.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The Teamsters fail to organize FedEx Ground for one reason and one reason only, and yes life is bad over there.
That reason is that FedEx hides behind their antiquated classification as an airline under the Railway Labor Act, while companies like UPS fall under the National Labor Relations Act.
Were we to play under the same rules, Fedex Ground would have been union long ago.

The FedEx Ground hub employees fall under the NLRA. We can't really organize the drivers because they're classified as independent contractors (1099) and the courts have taken their sweet :censored2:ing time in sorting out this issue.

The Teamsters actually had an organizing drive at a FedEx Ground hub in Brockton, MA going back in 2011 but pulled the plug for whatever reason. You can find a few articles about this with Google pretty easily..

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Friendly reminder:

Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-board. Derogatory, insulting, or belittling statements, directed at other members as well as direct or indirect personal attacks are not permitted on our forum.

It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals or their choices or circumstances, which disparage their ideas, opinions, their occupation or their personal situation. These examples are not exhaustive. Insulting or disparaging another member is a personal attack regardless of the manner in which it is done. These offensive comments are contrary to the spirit of legitimate, reasoned debate and damaging to the purpose of our community.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/help/terms

Agree, but at the end of the day, we are ups employees who work in hostile working environments. So I think you can't take that out of most users on here.

Stonefish

Another TDU hater piping up. A good little Hoffa supporter, bashing teamsters who choose TDU over the Old Guard. Fine outstanding teamster you are NOT.

I do hate TDU but why can you respond to the post I put on here earlier. Oh I forgot you can't because it's true

Notcool

Where is my raise? I'm a 7 year part timer. .70 Sounds good to me. If anything the few that are holding back are going to see a backlash from the majority. As long as I get raises every year I'm happy. So step aside and vote yes. You guys get paid enough.

Observer

The one thing we are all forgetting is that once all the riders are ratified- the retro pay will not be coming right away. If L89 does not vote until late September - and everything is pushed through - the company will not issue the checks until after Christmas because they are going to claim they need extra time to cut all of the checks. So don't expect the extra pay until at least 1st quarter of 2015.

govtmule

I am a 16 year local 89 UPSer...I can tell you that the issues we have that were stated in local 89's statement are very real to the people that work each day and night. The tram issues must be resolved in this contract. UPS is planning on expanding a runway soon, and that will move the parking lot across the expressway, thus, making the ride to some work areas 40 mins. UPS has increased its stagger program for part-timers. Most part-timers are getting around 3 hours a night. Add the soon to be 30 to 40 min ride into work and the 30-40 min ride out. Here what the article does not tell you. Since Worldport is very large, you must also work at least 10 mins in and 10 mins out. This is not parking lot walking. This is walking from tram stops to time clock. This is too much for a 15 hour worker. Also, all the trams are run by vendors, thus, killing teamster jobs.

Full-time jobs...If more jobs are not secured, you will have the waiting list for full-time jobs at 21 years+ by the end of the contract. UPS uses over 8000 part-timers and around 750 full-timers at Worldport.

There are others issues to discuss, but those above are two that many have rallied around. If the vote was today with the current final and best offer, I could say not only would it would be voted down, I can say it would be voted down by 90%.

Please understand that those requests by 89's UPSers are not unrealistic or being ridiculously aggressive. Please support our efforts

Please go to worldport teamster on facebook

Anonymous 12

Non active member
I am a 16 year local 89 UPSer...I can tell you that the issues we have that were stated in local 89's statement are very real to the people that work each day and night. The tram issues must be resolved in this contract. UPS is planning on expanding a runway soon, and that will move the parking lot across the expressway, thus, making the ride to some work areas 40 mins. UPS has increased its stagger program for part-timers. Most part-timers are getting around 3 hours a night. Add the soon to be 30 to 40 min ride into work and the 30-40 min ride out. Here what the article does not tell you. Since Worldport is very large, you must also work at least 10 mins in and 10 mins out. This is not parking lot walking. This is walking from tram stops to time clock. This is too much for a 15 hour worker. Also, all the trams are run by vendors, thus, killing teamster jobs.

Full-time jobs...If more jobs are not secured, you will have the waiting list for full-time jobs at 21 years+ by the end of the contract. UPS uses over 8000 part-timers and around 750 full-timers at Worldport.

There are others issues to discuss, but those above are two that many have rallied around. If the vote was today with the current final and best offer, I could say not only would it would be voted down, I can say it would be voted down by 90%.

Please understand that those requests by 89's UPSers are not unrealistic or being ridiculously aggressive. Please support our efforts

Please go to worldport teamster on facebook
People wait 21 years for a full time job. I would think the wait would be so much less for a job with such bad working conditions.