Letter writing campaign...

nervIS

IS... I really don't understand your position. Not at all.

Didn't HR or public affairs explain the importance to the organization? Did they not explain that they found the best way to do this was to have small groups write the letters and then have HR collect them?

You are not forced to write. That was clear in the meetings I attended. As a management person, you should have been willing happily to do whatever the organization needs in an important area like this. Instead, you say you "feel dirty". I just don't understand.

"Stop the madness"?? I don't understand. Maybe your management team is so poor they never took the time to explain to you how UPS works and the competitive landscape.

I realize that you are in IS and not in an operation every day, but rather than support the organization, sounds like you are complaining. Again, maybe your manager is the real problem. I don't know. I'd ask you to rethink your position.

P-Man

Paragraph 1 - No

Paragraph 2 - While i can say that no one held a gun to my head and told me to write the letters, when a SM tells you to do something and sits in the room while you are doing it, I don't know your definition of "forced" but this is close as it can get.

Paragraph 3 - It was a joke. Brown Bailout, USPS Bailout. Get it. Obviously you have no sense of humor.

Paragraph 4 - My management is fine. This is the first instance where me and my SM and I have disagreed with the correct way to go about something. Ask and thou shall receive, demand and get denied.

I know my position and I know how things work. I also have experience working with elected officials and time on the Hill (the one in DC that the Capital sits on). I wrote the letters, and actually I e-mailed my Representative and Senators when Public Affairs told us about this earlier in the year. This was not enough for UPS; they needed a personalized form letter which had to be handwritten. And why didn't we write letters to our Representatives when they voted for the Bill in the first place? Wouldn't that be just as important; a thank you goes a long way. Instead we are beggars.

It is not your place to tell me my position, or tell me the best way to express that position.

It is my right and my duty to complain. There is a person who posts to BrownCafe that has a wonderful tag line "If everyone is thinking the same thing, no one is thinking." Too much of this happens everyday at UPS.

Following blindly is no way to live.

To you sir, I say good day.

airbusfxr

Sano, I have been working on UPS owned airliners for over 21 years, changing engines in snow and ice, working blown tires in 125 degrees ramp temp, etc etc. I didnt just show up and vote for 9.5 bucks and 0 benefits for a year but you did so why are you worried about me. I have not had a contract since 2005 and you and your "brothers" have received enhancements every year. Go into Mgt you will do good, or why do you sign up to fly the 747-4 since you know alot about UPSCO. I have no beef with you but you sure are quick to judge, I bet you have never seen an UPSCO airplane during a delay when it is full of packages bound for a NDA outbound during a big delay, things become hectic and mechanics, pilots, and all work groups have the companys and customers best interest in mind, thats why I make 43 bucks, the safety and service comes at a big risk and thats why I am compensated at that rate. What do you do to provide a service?

pretzel_man

Paragraph 1 - No

Paragraph 2 - While i can say that no one held a gun to my head and told me to write the letters, when a SM tells you to do something and sits in the room while you are doing it, I don't know your definition of "forced" but this is close as it can get.

Paragraph 3 - It was a joke. Brown Bailout, USPS Bailout. Get it. Obviously you have no sense of humor.

Paragraph 4 - My management is fine. This is the first instance where me and my SM and I have disagreed with the correct way to go about something. Ask and thou shall receive, demand and get denied.

I know my position and I know how things work. I also have experience working with elected officials and time on the Hill (the one in DC that the Capital sits on). I wrote the letters, and actually I e-mailed my Representative and Senators when Public Affairs told us about this earlier in the year. This was not enough for UPS; they needed a personalized form letter which had to be handwritten. And why didn't we write letters to our Representatives when they voted for the Bill in the first place? Wouldn't that be just as important; a thank you goes a long way. Instead we are beggars.

It is not your place to tell me my position, or tell me the best way to express that position.

It is my right and my duty to complain. There is a person who posts to BrownCafe that has a wonderful tag line "If everyone is thinking the same thing, no one is thinking." Too much of this happens everyday at UPS.

How often do you read the policy book?

There is a difference between being a management person and just being an employee. Management is held to a higher standard, and I have maintained the opinion that much of our problems are related to poor management.

So the question to you is do you want to act like a management person or an employee? So far, to me you have expressed the latter.

P-Man

Pump Up The Volume

For years I've always heard and read about how we could crush our competition if they played the game on a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD. UPS and the teamsters are encouraging all UPSer's to write letters to THOSE REPRESENTATIVES WHO ACTUALLY HAVE THE ABILITY TO CHANGE THE LAWS TO LEVEL THAT PLAYING FIELD. Now I read comments about not writing letters because "I don't want to!" Reads like a three year old minus the stamping of the feet. Bottom line...you need to help Ups any way you can during this economic mess even if it means writing letters. Lets get real already and realize that for every 10 people you see during the day...1 is unemployed and would love to have your job to support their family!
In my opinion none of this is about "leveling the playing field". If anything it's all about dismantling the teamsters and leveling UPS to FedEx. It's years of planning in the making. Bottomline, it's a step toward passing the burden of paying for retirement and healthcare on to the hourlies. It's pretty obvious when our sales people recommend FedEx Freight as an alternative to Yellow or when UPS Freight doesn't pay into our retirement it's about bleeding the pensions. What happens' when Yellow closes their doors and 40,000 will start collecting pensions?
Who cares about organizing FedEx ground? Big Deal. What would motivate any of those FedEx "air" guys to go union. They don't do half the work we do, put up with half the stuff we do, and as a whole aren't nearly as grumpy as most UPS drivers

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Paragraph 1 - No

That was mine, and it is true in so many ways inside and outside this company.

yeah this just happened to me this past week. right after my break my supervisor came up to me and firmly recommended that i write a letter to our congressmen about how fedex is using different labor laws than UPS. of course the sup covered my two trucks while i took my sweet time writing it ; )

sano

Sano, I have been working on UPS owned airliners for over 21 years, changing engines in snow and ice, working blown tires in 125 degrees ramp temp, etc etc. I didnt just show up and vote for 9.5 bucks and 0 benefits for a year but you did so why are you worried about me. I have not had a contract since 2005 and you and your "brothers" have received enhancements every year. Go into Mgt you will do good, or why do you sign up to fly the 747-4 since you know alot about UPSCO. I have no beef with you but you sure are quick to judge, I bet you have never seen an UPSCO airplane during a delay when it is full of packages bound for a NDA outbound during a big delay, things become hectic and mechanics, pilots, and all work groups have the companys and customers best interest in mind, thats why I make 43 bucks, the safety and service comes at a big risk and thats why I am compensated at that rate. What do you do to provide a service?

Hey, I was not trying to say you are not worth 43 per hour.
My point is there are those who have it a heck of alot worse than you. I understand that you would rather be under a new contract than the old one, however a contract that pays 43 an hour and pretty slam good benefits is not too shabby. Not a snap judgement, just been noticing that you mention the contract, or lack of it, pretty often.

As for my situation, I do think the union used the part timers as pawn, however I signed up for this job knowing it paid near minimum wage and didn't have benefits. I am hoping to be a driver within the next year (or whenever the volume picks up a bit)

I do wish you guys the best in your negotiations and hope you can get a new contract soon.

pretzel_man

In my opinion none of this is about "leveling the playing field". If anything it's all about dismantling the teamsters and leveling UPS to FedEx. It's years of planning in the making. Bottomline, it's a step toward passing the burden of paying for retirement and healthcare on to the hourlies. It's pretty obvious when our sales people recommend FedEx Freight as an alternative to Yellow or when UPS Freight doesn't pay into our retirement it's about bleeding the pensions. What happens' when Yellow closes their doors and 40,000 will start collecting pensions?
Who cares about organizing FedEx ground? Big Deal. What would motivate any of those FedEx "air" guys to go union. They don't do half the work we do, put up with half the stuff we do, and as a whole aren't nearly as grumpy as most UPS drivers

As my math teacher used to say "show your work".

Show how making it easier for the teamsters to organize is about "dismantling the Teamsters"

Show me how the possibility of more Teamster members would pass "the burden of paying for retirement and healthcare on to the hourlies".

What is the logic?

P-Man

airbusfxr

Sano, sorry for the misunderstanding. UPS has made everyone leary of their actions towards employees. Every work group is being attacked for lay offs, givebacks, and now a letter writting to only help UPS. The earnings report will come out this week and UPS again will show a profit, BUT it only goes to the bosses and shareowners (managers BOD family) and a small amount public shareholders. UPS has stepped over a dollar to pick up a penny for over 20 years, mechanics and pilots has voiced opinions to help make more money by trying to assist in running a more profitable airline but UPS will lose money instead of listening to workers. Its the do it the IE or LRP dept way or else, We have deep pockets and have run a trucking company for a hundred years and we know how to run an airline with truckers and nurses heading the airline. I have sit in a truck and watch UPS waste millions of dollars and there is nothing we can do but write a letter to make another company waste money. HOW COME IT TOOK 20 YEARS FOR SOME UPS LAWYER TO FINALLY SEE FDX IS UNDER tHE RLA? What an idiot company for not bringing this up 30 years to late then have every employee write a letter saying it. In closing UPS and Local2727, along with the NMB will resume contract talks in August and hopefully have a contract to vote on by peak.

pretzel_man

Sano, sorry for the misunderstanding. UPS has made everyone leary of their actions towards employees. Every work group is being attacked for lay offs, givebacks, and now a letter writting to only help UPS. The earnings report will come out this week and UPS again will show a profit, BUT it only goes to the bosses and shareowners (managers BOD family) and a small amount public shareholders. UPS has stepped over a dollar to pick up a penny for over 20 years, mechanics and pilots has voiced opinions to help make more money by trying to assist in running a more profitable airline but UPS will lose money instead of listening to workers. Its the do it the IE or LRP dept way or else, We have deep pockets and have run a trucking company for a hundred years and we know how to run an airline with truckers and nurses heading the airline. I have sit in a truck and watch UPS waste millions of dollars and there is nothing we can do but write a letter to make another company waste money. HOW COME IT TOOK 20 YEARS FOR SOME UPS LAWYER TO FINALLY SEE FDX IS UNDER tHE RLA? What an idiot company for not bringing this up 30 years to late then have every employee write a letter saying it. In closing UPS and Local2727, along with the NMB will resume contract talks in August and hopefully have a contract to vote on by peak.

I'm sorry that the mechanics don't have a contract. I really am. I don't think its a good situation for anyone but I really don't know much regarding the negotiations. You present only one side of the story. Maybe you are right about UPS dragging its feet, maybe its the union. I don't know.

That being said, there is no value in you posting inaccurate / biased information regarding other areas, including the RLA.

You say this request is "letter writting to only help UPS". Not true. The Teamsters are also benefitted and support the legislation.

You say "UPS again will show a profit, BUT it only goes to the bosses and shareowners (managers BOD family) and a small amount public shareholders." Not true. UPS profit goes to ALL shareowners in the form of dividends and back into the business to support upgrades and growth.

You say "HOW COME IT TOOK 20 YEARS FOR SOME UPS LAWYER TO FINALLY SEE FDX IS UNDER tHE RLA?" Not true. UPS has been working on this with legislators for many years. Do a little research and you will see bills back to 1995 and before.

You say "In closing UPS and Local2727, along with the NMB will resume contract talks in August and hopefully have a contract to vote on by peak" This I absolutely agree with. I hope you get a good and fair contract. I think UPSers should be well compensated (Drivers, Mechanics, Management, etc.)

P-Man

airbusfxr

P-Man your right but again look at it from our view. This board is based on comments and each person has a different view at UPS. UPS has provided all of us with fair wages and health care because the end line employees make UPS. The pilots and drivers deliver letters and packages in an expeditious manner. The mechanics provide safe, reliable vehicles for the end line delivers. The people that sort provide accurate movement of valuable item. The sups make sure that efficient manners are used. The Managers make sure everything runs smooth. IE, LP, etc etc make sure everthing is running smooth. Everyone has a responsibility and commitment to service, BUT somehow things at the top get jacked up. The MD11 was purchased for LONG range, HEAVY lift, OVER SEAS package movement. Today these airliners are used for short hop trips and they are breaking down at dispatch cause service failures at high rates. 16k service failures last week for 1 delay at a gateway full of medical, time sensative items might cause this vendor to move back to FDX. The MD11 was purchased because they were mothbolled in the desert and were cheap, airlines had threw in the towel because they always broke and were just worn out. We purchased these instead of buying the 747-4 and now everyone is paying the price. It is like using a feeder to deliver pkgs at downtown LA, it just dont make sense. We all see UPS stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny, we all see waste at the top but UPS can only focus on the small stuff. In closing, the aircraft mechanics will not write letters for UPS until we have a contract.

pretzel_man

P-Man your right but again look at it from our view. This board is based on comments and each person has a different view at UPS. UPS has provided all of us with fair wages and health care because the end line employees make UPS. The pilots and drivers deliver letters and packages in an expeditious manner. The mechanics provide safe, reliable vehicles for the end line delivers. The people that sort provide accurate movement of valuable item. The sups make sure that efficient manners are used. The Managers make sure everything runs smooth. IE, LP, etc etc make sure everthing is running smooth. Everyone has a responsibility and commitment to service, BUT somehow things at the top get jacked up. The MD11 was purchased for LONG range, HEAVY lift, OVER SEAS package movement. Today these airliners are used for short hop trips and they are breaking down at dispatch cause service failures at high rates. 16k service failures last week for 1 delay at a gateway full of medical, time sensative items might cause this vendor to move back to FDX. The MD11 was purchased because they were mothbolled in the desert and were cheap, airlines had threw in the towel because they always broke and were just worn out. We purchased these instead of buying the 747-4 and now everyone is paying the price. It is like using a feeder to deliver pkgs at downtown LA, it just dont make sense. We all see UPS stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny, we all see waste at the top but UPS can only focus on the small stuff. In closing, the aircraft mechanics will not write letters for UPS until we have a contract.

Air:

Certainly no disagreement that everyone including mechanics are an important part of UPS and deserve to be well compensated.

I also cannot disagree with the statement that UPS has been known to spend a dollar to save a penny.

Usually its from poor management who chase numbers not understanding what those numbers mean and what else they affect. Cases of things like that are too numerous to mention. Of course, I will not say that the numbers are bad. They are essential, but management is supposed to understand what they mean and why they are there.

However, there are other things that look like waste but are just the best choice between two bad choices. I do not know if use of the MD11 is one of those examples or not. I know little in that area.

The organization has to look at ways to reduce cost in an entire network. This means that parts of the network may be less effective than others in order to reduce overall cost an make service. For example, aircraft schedules have to rotate so that planes can be positioned in place to start the cycle again. I guess that is like balancing empties in the ground side.

Some of those moves may look stupid, but for the network they are good.

Again, I do not know if this fits the MD11 example or not. If you say that it doesn't, I will not argue. I was just pointing out that not everthing that looks stupid really is.

Of course there are plenty of true stupid things going on that it may not really matter.

P-Man

brownrodster

What is this letter writing campaign thing about? I got a text message yesturday saying to write my letter? Not sure what that is about.

Almost texted back that "I have an old warning letting you can have"

We had some suit come to our building and speak in a quite voice about something a while back. Probably my center manager's boss. Barely heard anything he said. Didn't know what he was talking about. Think this might be related to the letters somehow.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Huh?

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Wrote two of these letters today

Wearing this shirt :happy-very::funny::wink2:

fedexodus.jpg

Poor guy.
How do you get by on 43 per hour?
I, on the other hand am a member of a strong union. We have a brand new contract (less than a year old)
I get 9.50 per hour. I have 0 benefits until I have worked a year. My wife and 2 daughters will not be covered for a year and a half. I get no paid holidays.
But at least we have a contract.:biting:

Tell me airbusfxr, do you deliver Pizza in the evening to make ends meet?

Teamsters to partimers: "The bus leaves at 4:00am, be under it":dead:

Okay, I will stop now. It's been a long week. <end rant>

Are you a loader/sorter? FedEx Express starts around 12 and benefits are available after 3 months.

Some positions and UPS pay more and some positions at FedEx pay more is the bottom line, IMHO.

I wonder where how the old Fritz folks over at supply chain services are doing.