Mock Keter Audit

kingOFchester

I have not seen that kind of corruption in my building. Even when we had CMs walked out, it was for misclassfying numbers to make other numbers look better, not shorting people.

I read many of the posts here and sometimes think that I work for a different company than some of you.

A lot of what I posted above was from a regime that was walked out several years ago. I will say, a lot of what I posted is not taking place under my current management. Some of it still does.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have not seen that kind of corruption in my building. Even when we had CMs walked out, it was for misclassfying numbers to make other numbers look better, not shorting people.

I read many of the posts here and sometimes think that I work for a different company than some of you.

You and I work for the same company as I also have not seen many of the things KOC described. The worst I can recall is a center manager who lost his job for allowing a driver recovering from hernia surgery to do TAW from the comfort of his home. Yes, there is the occasional pencil-whipped OAO, but for the most part everything is above board.

Resident know-it-all.

kingOFchester

You and I work for the same company as I also have not seen many of the things KOC described. The worst I can recall is a center manager who lost his job for allowing a driver recovering from hernia surgery to do TAW from the comfort of his home. Yes, there is the occasional pencil-whipped OAO, but for the most part everything is above board.

Resident know-it-all.

And I respect that and believe what you are saying. But just because it isn't like that where you are certainly doesn't mean that every where is like your bubble.

I live within 20-25 miles of three Walmart stores. I can tell you things are drastically different between the three. Other then the same signs and designs, you would never guess they were all run by the same company. Same company, but three totally differently run stores.

Another example, the municipality I live in has had almost no history of corruption. A few towns over, and it has a long list of corruption.

Last edited:

Rainman

Its all good.
Integrity, I have been involved with CHSP since the 90s.The Keter people have told us during audits that Keter is owned by Liberty Mutual, and the LM people have verified this.

The whole CHSP process began when UPS messed up with a hazmat leak, and when OSHA was informed and tried to enter the building, the center manager turned them away. You will find this info on the Insideups web page. Look under health and safety link, I forget what link under that. Possibly safety 101 or CHSP 101. After a series of screw ups and false starts, OSHA and UPS agreed to the process that became CHSP. One part of the agreement was that UPS would agree to be audited by an outside company, in this case Keter.

As far as the post someone made regarding cost of crashes and injuries, there was a corporate study in the late 1990s that forecasted that if injury and crash rates were not reduced, then by 2007 UPS would no longer be a profitable company. Looking at the costs the company is paying now, and considering the reduction in frequencies since that time, it is conceivable.

Keter audits are announced a few hours ahead of time, not days. The audits that people are planning for are scheduled by and run by the safety department, not an outside source. Also, Keter doesn't pick and choose a location. I was told by a person in the safety department that Region HR tells them where to go.

I agree that the process is for the better of all of us. I also agree with posts by several saying that there is a lot of BS involved. Sometimes management does things to check a box rather than to accomplish things. But sooner or later, things improve. You just have to tolerate the crap in the meantime.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, I have been involved with CHSP since the 90s.The Keter people have told us during audits that Keter is owned by Liberty Mutual, and the LM people have verified this.

The whole CHSP process began when UPS messed up with a hazmat leak, and when OSHA was informed and tried to enter the building, the center manager turned them away. You will find this info on the Insideups web page. Look under health and safety link, I forget what link under that. Possibly safety 101 or CHSP 101. After a series of screw ups and false starts, OSHA and UPS agreed to the process that became CHSP. One part of the agreement was that UPS would agree to be audited by an outside company, in this case Keter.

As far as the post someone made regarding cost of crashes and injuries, there was a corporate study in the late 1990s that forecasted that if injury and crash rates were not reduced, then by 2007 UPS would no longer be a profitable company. Looking at the costs the company is paying now, and considering the reduction in frequencies since that time, it is conceivable.

Keter audits are announced a few hours ahead of time, not days. The audits that people are planning for are scheduled by and run by the safety department, not an outside source. Also, Keter doesn't pick and choose a location. I was told by a person in the safety department that Region HR tells them where to go.

I agree that the process is for the better of all of us. I also agree with posts by several saying that there is a lot of BS involved. Sometimes management does things to check a box rather than to accomplish things. But sooner or later, things improve. You just have to tolerate the crap in the meantime. Rainman,

Thank you for you information.

What are some of your accomplishments as Co-Chair?

I am assuming that you are the hourly Co-Chair on you committee<

Sincerely,
I

Rainman

Its all good.
The frequencies and overall severity of crashes has dropped, the frequencies of injuries has dropped, but there have been a lot of different factors and influences that have contributed to that. It's been a team effort, and I honestly don't know where my personal efforts have impacted in any way that I can claim " that was me. I did that". I try to make myself accessible to others who have safety concerns and admit to my own past mistakes as a learning tool for others. How much impact this may have had, I don't have a clue.

The frequencies and overall severity of crashes has dropped, the frequencies of injuries has dropped, but there have been a lot of different factors and influences that have contributed to that. It's been a team effort, and I honestly don't know where my personal efforts have impacted in any way that I can claim " that was me. I did that". I try to make myself accessible to others who have safety concerns and admit to my own past mistakes as a learning tool for others. How much impact this may have had, I don't have a clue.

I think that they are back to covering up accidents and injuries once again.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Rainman,

How long have you been Co-Chair or your committee?

What have you personally done to advance safety?

Sincerely,
I

Rainman

Its all good.
Rainman,

What does "turning the screws tighter than they ever have mean"?

Can you give an example?

Sincerely,
I
People are getting charged for accidents and suffering disciplinary action for things that were not even called crashes in the past: getting stuck in a driveway, hitting dogs on a public roadway in areas where leash laws exist, breaking mirrors on tree branches. In the past these would have been "incidents" not accidents. In my building I know of multiple drivers who broke mirrors on tree branches, wrote them up on DVIR, then get discipline for having unreported crashes. This never happened in the past.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mugarolla,

Where to you get your information?

Much of it is inaccurate.

Sncerely,
I
Most people don't like to believe it, but it is true. All of it. Do you really think UPS would pay keter and all these employees on the safety committees for their time. UPS is all about the almighty dollar and doesn't give a rats :censored2: about safety. Plain and simple...it keeps OSHA off their backs.

Rainman

Its all good.
Most people don't like to believe it, but it is true. All of it. Do you really think UPS would pay keter and all these employees on the safety committees for their time. UPS is all about the almighty dollar and doesn't give a rats :censored2: about safety. Plain and simple...it keeps OSHA off their backs.
The corporate settlement agreement between OSHA and UPS specified that an outside entity ( Keter in this case) would audit UPS facilities periodically to ensure that the company was keeping their end of the bargain. Safety committees are also a part of the settlement. UPS does care about safety as far as it impacts the bottom line AND the corporate image. Beyond that, we are just a number to the company, nothing more. That's why we should embrace the safety edicts in order to take care of ourselves, so that we can continue supporting ourselves and our families.

YellowSox

People are getting charged for accidents and suffering disciplinary action for things that were not even called crashes in the past: getting stuck in a driveway, hitting dogs on a public roadway in areas where leash laws exist, breaking mirrors on tree branches. In the past these would have been "incidents" not accidents.

You have "safety 24/7" to thank for that.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Integrity

Binge Poster
Mugarolla,

I think you are partially correct.

In as much as it effects the bottom line any company is interested in safety issues,

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
.in so far as those safety measures do not affect production or impact the bottom line...
UpstateNYUPSer,

Safety measures always cost money therefore they always effect the bottom line.

The reality is that there is a disconnect between the needs and goals of the Corporate UPS, those in the proverbial "Ivory Tower" and the local management of the company.

Locals are usually short sighted and make poor decisions based upon how things will impact themselves in the immediate.

These are self serving decisions masked as decisions for the good of the company.

The corporate decisions seem to usually be simply based on the long term idea that if a safety measure to prevent something is going to cost less that the something it is put in place to prevent then it will be put in place.

A chronic problem seems to be that locals seem to care very little about what corporate says if they can benefit from and then cover up non-compliance.

Sincerely,
I