New Driver Here: What are these “numbers”

Tbergeron37

What are these numbers that on roads look at when you’re new? I was told my “numbers” are good and I’ll be shown them when I’m back from vacation. But what are considered good and what’s not so good? I just want to know a little of what I’m looking at when I see them

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The "numbers" refer to your performance on road compared to your dispatch.

Let's say you are dispatched with a 9 hour day and that it takes you 8.5 hours to do it. Your "numbers' will show that you were .5 under, which is good.

Let's say that you ran that same 9 hour day in 10.5 hours. You would be 1.5 hours over, which is not good.

The goal is to get as close to your dispatched time without going too far over (<.5). The ideal would be to run "scratch", which means it took you 9 hours to run a 9 hour dispatch.

The dispatch is calculated based on your miles, pkgs del, pkg p/u, COD's, delivery and pickup stops, etc.

These numbers assume that you actually took your lunch and break(s).

There are those on this forum that contend that this is not a production job. They couldn't be more wrong.

quad decade guy

The "numbers" refer to your performance on road compared to your dispatch.

Let's say you are dispatched with a 9 hour day and that it takes you 8.5 hours to do it. Your "numbers' will show that you were .5 under, which is good.

Let's say that you ran that same 9 hour day in 10.5 hours. You would be 1.5 hours over, which is not good.

The goal is to get as close to your dispatched time without going too far over (<.5). The ideal would be to run "scratch", which means it took you 9 hours to run a 9 hour dispatch.

The dispatch is calculated based on your miles, pkgs del, pkg p/u, COD's, delivery and pickup stops, etc.

These numbers assume that you actually took your lunch and break(s).

There are those on this forum that contend that this is not a production job. They couldn't be more wrong.

I think actually they contend that the "union" doesn't recognize production numbers. And so they don't either. But yet, we all know the numbers will be met. Don't meet many 30 year guys that say yeah I was always 2 hours over.....what you didn't mention was that the "numbers" are also based on educated guesses and other "assumptions". So, mgt. contends these numbers are rock solid reliable and without fault. The union and the company(I think) agree on a fair days pay for a fair days work. Somewhere in there is reality. Intangibles are what makes or breaks your day. Gain time here, lose it there. My biggest complaint about UPS mgt. is to have busted your butt for 12 hours and to be asked "why are you late, what happened...your laying down on me etc.?" Other than that, it has been a hard but great paying job with fabulous benefits. Enough to keep me here 4 decades.

Ghost in the Darkness

Give an honest effort everyday and don't give a crap about their numbers. You don't have to run or skip/work through your break and lunch. Treat yourself right because ups doesn't care about you... you're just a number. They will always try to make you do more. Do the job safely and don't take shortcuts at the customers expense... deliver the right way.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I think actually they contend that the "union" doesn't recognize production numbers. And so they don't either. But yet, we all know the numbers will be met. Don't meet many 30 year guys that say yeah I was always 2 hours over.....what you didn't mention was that the "numbers" are also based on educated guesses and other "assumptions". So, mgt. contends these numbers are rock solid reliable and without fault. The union and the company(I think) agree on a fair days pay for a fair days work. Somewhere in there is reality. Intangibles are what makes or breaks your day. Gain time here, lose it there. My biggest complaint about UPS mgt. is to have busted your butt for 12 hours and to be asked "why are you late, what happened...your laying down on me etc.?" Other than that, it has been a hard but great paying job with fabulous benefits. Enough to keep me here 4 decades.
Thank you for everything you have done.