NEW NORMAL? LATE FREIGHT

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Freight has been consistently 30+ minutes late at our station. Management claims the root cause is the Memphis sort not going down on time because of volume. If so, this should be a consistent occurrence across all stations. My question is, is this the experience at your station, or is local management blowing smoke?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Freight has been consistently 30+ minutes late at our station. Management claims the root cause is the Memphis sort not going down on time because of volume. If so, this should be a consistent occurrence across all stations. My question is, is this the experience at your station, or is local management blowing smoke?
Or not enough bodies working in the hub.

Purplepackage

If you've ever been to a ramp you would know why lol

I can't imagine how Memphis is ran but tiny ramp I used to run a shuttle too at my old station only serviced 3 stations and they couldn't get their :censored2: together ever.

Ramps are :censored2: shows

SmithBarney

They always blame Memphis, what do you expect, they pay handlers low wages, so they get the bottom of the barrel employees. Pay better, the job would become more competitive and draw better applicants.. not rocket science. Most of the time I presume Memphis just can't handle the loads coming in these days, from Amazon and other large shippers. Inbound flights are late because markets are having later and later cut offs and pull times.

vantexan

They always blame Memphis, what do you expect, they pay handlers low wages, so they get the bottom of the barrel employees. Pay better, the job would become more competitive and draw better applicants.. not rocket science. Most of the time I presume Memphis just can't handle the loads coming in these days, from Amazon and other large shippers. Inbound flights are late because markets are having later and later cut offs and pull times.
Almost all Memphis handlers are part-time. Most are either fulltime students or work another job, often fulltime. Saw some lousy workers in Memphis, but most are actually pretty good.

fatboy33

Late freight is off and on at my station. But we welcome late freight because it's free money. Extra overtime is always nice.

Yankeefan

Sort has been 2:07 all week which is an on time sort. Within the past month I can't think of a sort delay longer than 10 minutes. The weather hasn't been bad at night in quite some time.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

We've had 4 departures from MEMH that were late by 15 minutes or more in the past 3 months. There are ramp issues in this area from time to time, though.

We've had days when our sort down times are exactly the same, yet one day we have 20 extra minutes, and another we have None

Those are usually market-level delays. The on-time guarantee is in effect, but the late packages don't count against the station. For example, flight lands on time at your ramp but your freight arrives 20 minutes late due to ramp staffing, heavy traffic, or some other reason. It's not to be confused with a disruption, which can cancel the guarantee.

SmithBarney

Those are usually market-level delays. The on-time guarantee is in effect, but the late packages don't count against the station. For example, flight lands on time at your ramp but your freight arrives 20 minutes late due to ramp staffing, heavy traffic, or some other reason. It's not to be confused with a disruption, which can cancel the guarantee.

I'm aware, but if the volume is the same, and departure is the same.. its just a excuse for having "excusable" lates.. I understand maximizing routes, but really a time cushion would be advisable. We haven't been out of building on time(scheduled) in years.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'm aware, but if the volume is the same, and departure is the same.. its just a excuse for having "excusable" lates.. I understand maximizing routes, but really a time cushion would be advisable. We haven't been out of building on time(scheduled) in years.

The volume and building leave time are irrelevant. If there's a transit delay, you get credit for it.