Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Stay in your package car. Hit the horn hard while sheeting the package up as NI1, DOG in the remark column and your service cross. Give to your night clerk and a message to dispatch to put a note into the diad for other drivers.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
By the way. If any of you get bitten by a dog record every moment of time off and medical care and (possible) physical therapy you'll need. It is very easy to get an infection or even secondary infection on a bite.

If it got your hands, don't forget the 27 bones and 29 ligaments (minor and major) and how imperative they work as a full, functioning, undamaged machine. Nerve damage, internal scarring, etc are no joke. Getting a virus from a dog poo mouth bite or infections is a real thing. Be careful folks.

State law in my state is that ALL dogs bites must be reported.

Delivery!!!

There's a stop in my building with a note mentioning the dogs name and it is friendly. Those owners have since moved. I told management months ago. The note is still there, freaking idiots.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Never turn your back on an aggressive dog even if they are behind a fence, use firm voice and have diad ready to crack dog upside head

OptimusPrime

Very early in my career we had a guy get bit pretty good. Stitches and all that. Management let it be known that the driver was at fault for "not expecting the unexpected". So ever since then I just don't play around. The slightest bit of aggression, it's NI1 comment dog, and keep trucking. If I see a Beware of Dog sign, I treat it as if there is an aggressive dog even if there isn't one in the yard. The only time I will DR by the mailbox is if there is a note in the board. And as for guys talking about hitting dogs with the DIAD, don't even let it come to that. If you aren't 100% comfortable with the delivery, don't make it. I don't even mess around with the Customer Release "Back Door" stuff. I'm not walking around a house to the backyard for all kinds of various reasons. You walk by a window and some chick is naked, homeowner is a gun aficionado with a itchy trigger finger, they have some old as hell gate that according to the customer you broke it by opening it, just imagine all kinds of scenarios. Same goes with gated houses. I don't care if there is a walk way through the hedge line. I have no idea why you feel the need to have your house gated off. I'm not trying to find out.

Richard Cranium

3rd floor balcony/fire escape on back of Apt bldg.
Knock on back door for sig.
Lady lets little ankle biter out.
Yap, yap.
Driver kicks at dog to keep him away.
His foot hooks under dog's belly and dog is air born.
Flies off balcony into a snowbank far below.
Dog was stunned but survived.
Lady did not sue UPS, driver did not sue for dog attack.

Next stop.
. Nice move on the hook under, usually no blood. Sorry ma'am!

ManInBrown

Very early in my career we had a guy get bit pretty good. Stitches and all that. Management let it be known that the driver was at fault for "not expecting the unexpected". So ever since then I just don't play around. The slightest bit of aggression, it's NI1 comment dog, and keep trucking. If I see a Beware of Dog sign, I treat it as if there is an aggressive dog even if there isn't one in the yard. The only time I will DR by the mailbox is if there is a note in the board. And as for guys talking about hitting dogs with the DIAD, don't even let it come to that. If you aren't 100% comfortable with the delivery, don't make it. I don't even mess around with the Customer Release "Back Door" stuff. I'm not walking around a house to the backyard for all kinds of various reasons. You walk by a window and some chick is naked, homeowner is a gun aficionado with a itchy trigger finger, they have some old as hell gate that according to the customer you broke it by opening it, just imagine all kinds of scenarios. Same goes with gated houses. I don't care if there is a walk way through the hedge line. I have no idea why you feel the need to have your house gated off. I'm not trying to find out.
The leave at back door is a weird one

I have a few on my route that are either my choice release at back door, or just a note leave at back door. Uh no. I'm not walking into someone's backyard and leaving on their deck.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Using a IV, I can only imagine you must of needed a handcart for the I

Diad II (measured like 10x15x1" thick) also made a great chew bone if you got cornered by one that came out of nowhere. They'd bite down on that and then give up. Used that one several times.

One dog, almost no matter how tough, is usually doable. It's his second, third and fourth buddies that can really shrink your wrinkle bag.

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
The leave at back door is a weird one

I have a few on my route that are either my choice release at back door, or just a note leave at back door. Uh no. I'm not walking into someone's backyard and leaving on their deck.
i really had no problem with those, unless there was a beware of dog sign

when in doubt i'd always whistle or something as i got out of the car, if i heard something moving i'd get right back in lol

i rarely Ni1'd though, if i could get the package on a pavement that was visible that's where it would get left

over9five

Staff member
Using a IV, I can only imagine you must of needed a handcart for the I
I was walking up to the front door of house once, when I suddenly heard a women behind me somewhere screaming "NO NO NOOOOO!!!". Turned around to see this dog in full out run coming at me. Had no time to think. Dropped the package and swung my DIAD 1 like a baseball bat. Connected under the dogs chin, lifting him airborne and spinning. He rolled as he landed, but never stopped running (except he was going away from me now!)
Freakin lady was pissed at me. People suck.

ManInBrown

Here's my best advice for a new driver and this is what I always did when I was a cover driver and didn't know which houses had dogs. You get up to a house and you think they might have a dog, do not ring the doorbell. Drop the package and roll. If it's sig required and after you ring bell you hear Fido going ballistic, pull on the front door from the outside so they can't open it. When they try to open tell them put dog away. Until then don't let go of the door.

Over 70

I was walking up to the front door of house once, when I suddenly heard a women behind me somewhere screaming "NO NO NOOOOO!!!". Turned around to see this dog in full out run coming at me. Had no time to think. Dropped the package and swung my DIAD 1 like a baseball bat. Connected under the dogs chin, lifting him airborne and spinning. He rolled as he landed, but never stopped running (except he was going away from me now!)
Freakin lady was :censored2: at me. People suck.

I was a meter reader for the gas company in college during the summer and had a similar scenario with a German sheppard. My fight or flight kicked in and I picked up a spade shovel convienently laying on the ground by me and charged the dog yelling and it turned and ran from me lol.

The adrenaline was flowing and I left realizing I left the I-tron similar to the DIAD laying in the yard so I had to go back. The dog stayed 50ft away when I returned just barked at me.

In hindsight it was interesting how the dog could pick up my lack of fear at the time and backed off. I'm sure if I turned and ran I would of been getting bit.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I once had a split off a driver on the way to my area. I wasn't familiar with the area. Had a package for a house that sat smack in the middle of about 4-5 acres. Big fence around the house. No sign of a dog. Honked several times. Rattled the gate for probably 30 seconds. Nothing. Guess they don't have a dog. Went up to the door and rang the bell. (signature required back then) Nobody home, but i heard barking coming from the back yard. Headed for my PC. Was met about 1/3 of the way there by 4 dogs. All big, and vicious. 1 pit bull, one shepherd, and the other 2 were just mixed looking. They circled me, and took turns trying to bite me. I kicked one, hit one with my clipboard and hit the third one with the package. I still had about 25 yards to get back to the fence. The pit bull got me in the back of my thigh. I made it back to the PC, bleeding with my pants ripped. A neighbor came from across the street and said. "What the hell are you doing going into that yard? The regular driver knows better." I said "hell, i didn't know. How come they don't have any signs warning about them?" The neighbor said "they used to have beware of dog signs up, but the dogs ate them." True story. I delivered to a hospital on my area, and got doctored up.

35years

Gravy route
i really had no problem with those, unless there was a beware of dog sign

when in doubt i'd always whistle or something as i got out of the car, if i heard something moving i'd get right back in lol

i rarely Ni1'd though, if i could get the package on a pavement that was visible that's where it would get left
You "drove" for what, 3 weeks?
Management that are required to drive for a short stint when they get their promotion just sound silly when they try to talk about their experiences as a "driver"

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
You "drove" for what, 3 weeks?
Management that are required to drive for a short stint when they get their promotion just sound silly when they try to talk about their experiences as a "driver"
it's not about the quantity but the quality, if you know what i mean :whistling

it was longer than 3 weeks tho

Dr.Brownz

What is the proper way to sheet a package when you encounter an aggressive dog not on a leash? Had one yesterday and I sheeted it Not In 1. Is that correct?

Use NR (not ready) instead, and put dog in the comment section. Write dog on the package and throw it where ever you put your other clerk packages.