NFL Boycott - Will FedEx Peak be easier...in current events?

bacha29

That's stupid business.
When the public sees the wealthy team owners making mind boggling fortunes from their teams using public facilities while water, roads and sewer systems continue to fall apart they will no doubt call into question the city's spending priorities .

vantexan

If you want to call economists, people who don't like sports, then sure.
You're right of course. But sports teams provide intangibles that are worth keeping. I knew a die-hard Cardinals fan in Memphis. He traveled regularly to St.Louis to watch them. Might not overcome the stadium cost, but cities like St.Louis identify strongly with their teams. KC loves the Royals and are fanatical about the Chiefs. Sorry that not everyone is a big sports fan or they resent the money they make, but for fans it's not just about the sports but also pride in their city. And that spreads throughout the region. And making it to the championship of any league is a huge bonding moment for any city and it's region. Might be scoffed at by non-believers, but there's more to life than just punching the clock and paying the bills. So let's take away all the stadiums and arenas, get rid of the games on tv, never speak of it again. How dreary would life be? Maybe we could all celebrate the summer solstice! Go marching on May Day! Get all giddy for the next eclipse! Think of the conversations at bars that would produce!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You're right of course. But sports teams provide intangibles that are worth keeping. I knew a die-hard Cardinals fan in Memphis. He traveled regularly to St.Louis to watch them. Might not overcome the stadium cost, but cities like St.Louis identify strongly with their teams. KC loves the Royals and are fanatical about the Chiefs. Sorry that not everyone is a big sports fan or they resent the money they make, but for fans it's not just about the sports but also pride in their city. And that spreads throughout the region. And making it to the championship of any league is a huge bonding moment for any city and it's region. Might be scoffed at by non-believers, but there's more to life than just punching the clock and paying the bills. So let's take away all the stadiums and arenas, get rid of the games on tv, never speak of it again. How dreary would life be? Maybe we could all celebrate the summer solstice! Go marching on May Day! Get all giddy for the next eclipse! Think of the conversations at bars that would produce!
The problem I have is that the entertainers WE are paying are offending OUR sensibilities, and then crying that it's tough :censored2: because First Amendment. The exercising of your rights doesn't mean you are protected from the Majority's backlash. I actually hope the NFL is economically deprived in the future for not protecting the paying publics rights.

vantexan

The problem I have is that the entertainers WE are paying are offending OUR sensibilities, and then crying that it's tough :censored2: because First Amendment. The exercising of your rights doesn't mean you are protected from the Majority's backlash. I actually hope the NFL is economically deprived in the future for not protecting the paying publics rights.
I agree and think most fans do. Not the appropriate venue. When you see what the NFL wouldn't allow, but are allowing this, makes you wonder.

dezguy

That was beautiful. Still doesn't change the fact that publically funded stadiums don't come anywhere close to the ROI promised.

vantexan

That was beautiful. Still doesn't change the fact that publically funded stadiums don't come anywhere close to the ROI promised.
Which I acknowledged. I can think of huge government spending programs which haven't cured society's ills but have spent much more than what has been spent on stadiums. Should we eliminate them too?

bacha29

Which I acknowledged. I can think of huge government spending programs which haven't cured society's ills but have spent much more than what has been spent on stadiums. Should we eliminate them too?
Whatever the case may be what is for certain is that with many states running out of money and enormous cuts in federal funding support for many federally mandated programs looming on the horizon if they were to be called upon to hoark up a multi million dollar contribution toward the construction of a professional sports facility they would stand there and laugh at you.

vantexan

Whatever the case may be what is for certain is that with many states running out of money and enormous cuts in federal funding support for many federally mandated programs looming on the horizon if they were to be called upon to hoark up a multi million dollar contribution toward the construction of a professional sports facility they would stand there and laugh at you.
Maybe those States running out of money should vote in a responsible government that balances the books. But tell me, how many of those states building those new stadiums are blue States?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Are you saying professional football is one of society's ills? If so, you might have a valid argument.

bacha29

Maybe those States running out of money should vote in a responsible government that balances the books. But tell me, how many of those states building those new stadiums are blue States?
In my state after cutting programs you know the kind you might be in dire need of in future, merging departments cancelling critically needed infrastructure projects and the grant funding required by them legislators from both parties now agree that there is simply no place else to cut without going back to what previous GOP administrations have done in the past and that was to cut spending at the state level then pass the tax burden down to counties and municipal governments. Real smart, and people caught on that real quick. So pal creating a balanced state budget is just not a simple as you think.

vantexan

Are you saying professional football is one of society's ills? If so, you might have a valid argument.
No, I'm saying they're quick to attack spending on sports, but we've thrown trillions away without solving poverty, education problems, the racial divide. If anything sports unites people across all socio-economic strata.

vantexan

In my state after cutting programs you know the kind you might be in dire need of in future, merging departments cancelling critically needed infrastructure projects and the grant funding required by them legislators from both parties now agree that there is simply no place else to cut without going back to what previous GOP administrations have done in the past and that was to cut spending at the state level then pass the tax burden down to counties and municipal governments. Real smart, and people caught on that real quick. So pal creating a balanced state budget is just not a simple as you think.
Especially when you throw money at every social engineered program that ultimately fails.

dezguy

Do I think people need to start demanding their tax dollars be spent responsibly? Absolutely.

bacha29

Great, but let's not single out our favorite pet peeve when the spending across the board is irresponsible.
Public attitudes toward wealthy sports franchise owners is no doubt changing. Today there is only so much public money to go around. In the near future I doubt that many people are going to care if the sports facility they payed for isn't quite as fancy and extravagant as some others if one town's outdated and overloaded sewage treatment plant is dumping raw sewage in the river.....the very place where the town down river gets it's drinking water.

vantexan

Public attitudes toward wealthy sports franchise owners is no doubt changing. Today there is only so much public money to go around. In the near future I doubt that many people are going to care if the sports facility they payed for isn't quite as fancy and extravagant as some others if one town's outdated and overloaded sewage treatment plant is dumping raw sewage in the river.....the very place where the town down river gets it's drinking water.
Other than Flint's lead issues where's that happening?