No call no show

MAKAVELI

He does have a point.

Did you miss the “I am sorry for your loss” part?
Did you miss the " but " part? We are entitled to 3 days paid bereavement. For a manager to have a lack of understanding and empathy for his workers shows he has no business being a manager.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
How do you handle bereavement leave?
Why is a UPS peon all up in a FedEx conversation he isn't qualified to comment upon? Do you consider yourself omniscient, or what? The most that you have to offer this thread is what UPS policy is, and that has absolutely no bearing on the matter! Sheesh!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why is a UPS peon all up in a FedEx conversation he isn't qualified to comment upon? Do you consider yourself omniscient, or what? The most that you have to offer this thread is what UPS policy is, and that has absolutely no bearing on the matter! Sheesh!

The opco is irrelevant. It is obvious that the OP did not keep his mgt team updated and basically waited until the last minute to let them know that he would not be coming in.

A quick "Boss, we just buried a family member, I won't be in today or tomorrow. See you on Monday" would have had everyone on the same page.

Should he be written up? Of course not.

vantexan

The opco is irrelevant. It is obvious that the OP did not keep his mgt team updated and basically waited until the last minute to let them know that he would not be coming in.

A quick "Boss, we just buried a family member, I won't be in today or tomorrow. See you on Monday" would have had everyone on the same page.

Should he be written up? Of course not.
As long as he called in at least an hour before his start time he's in compliance.

!Retired!

He's been here long enough to understand how FedEx works.

Oldfart

He's been here long enough to understand how FedEx works.
Still not sure why he cares. My theory is if it doesn't concern me, I don't worry about it. I guess some people on here worry about UPS employee problems and maybe even find a USPS forum to get involved with. To each his own.

Oldfart

Really? You didn't mind @RonBurgandy?????????? riding to you frail emotional rescue a mere week ago.
I didn't invite him and am not really sure who he is or why he is here. He came here, I did not go to his forum. BIG difference.

Have you checked the obituaries today to find any person that passed away so you can throw salt on the families wound you piece of crap? Any person that uses a persons death as a time to cry about how much they hate their employer is a sad sad person.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Still not sure why he cares. My theory is if it doesn't concern me, I don't worry about it. I guess some people on here worry about UPS employee problems and maybe even find a USPS forum to get involved with. To each his own.

This is not an Express, Ground or UPS exclusive issue. I see issues like this throughout the workforce.

IMO, it is incumbent upon the hourly to inform his/her mgt team in a timely manner if they expect to be out of work for an extended period of time due to a personal or family tragedy.

The OP knew full well that he wasn't going to be able to work both Friday and Saturday-----would it have been that hard to pick up the phone on either Wednesday or Thursday to give his mgt team a heads up so that they could plan accordingly?

There is also the school of thought that says getting right back in to your regular routine helps you take your mind off of what just happened.

My son had a very close friend commit suicide during the Junior Prom. He had a fight with his date, walked to his grandfather's house, loaded his shot gun and pointed it at his stomach. My son was devastated, and rightfully so. My ex and I tried really hard to give him his space but after two weeks of "grieving" we both agreed that it was time for him to get back in to his routine so I called him early Sunday morning to tell him that I would be picking him up in time for his noon shift at McDonald's. He was pissed but on the ride home after his shift was over he thanked me for "forcing" him to start living his life again.

Oldfart

This is not an Express, Ground or UPS exclusive issue. I see issues like this throughout the workforce.

IMO, it is incumbent upon the hourly to inform his/her mgt team in a timely manner if they expect to be out of work for an extended period of time due to a personal or family tragedy.

The OP knew full well that he wasn't going to be able to work both Friday and Saturday-----would it have been that hard to pick up the phone on either Wednesday or Thursday to give his mgt team a heads up so that they could plan accordingly?

There is also the school of thought that says getting right back in to your regular routine helps you take your mind off of what just happened.

My son had a very close friend commit suicide during the Junior Prom. He had a fight with his date, walked to his grandfather's house, loaded his shot gun and pointed it at his stomach. My son was devastated, and rightfully so. My ex and I tried really hard to give him his space but after two weeks of "grieving" we both agreed that it was time for him to get back in to his routine so I called him early Sunday morning to tell him that I would be picking him up in time for his noon shift at McDonald's. He was :censored2: but on the ride home after his shift was over he thanked me for "forcing" him to start living his life again.
I am not sure the timeline involved as far as the death, funeral and when the person was scheduled to work on Saturday. I believe our policy is 1 hr or maybe 1 1/2 hour before start. Maybe the person could have called earlier than he did because the funeral might have been earlier in the week. Either way, he met the company policy as far as calling in. If the manager did not answer his phone and voice mails were left, sounds like the employee did as he was supposed to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our company policy is that we are allowed 3 unexcused absences before we can be disciplined for a NC/NS. Is it really that hard to show up for work on time each and every (scheduled) day that we need to have a policy to protect those who can't be bothered to do so?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yeah, just because they're covering the bases.

but I do get to see how others handle stuff like a death in the family. So I don't mind input from the other side. OP case is not a no call, though..

PS, Dave, that's a crappy thing u had to take a selfie to prove u were there... a copy of the death certificate would have been enough.