No call no show

NYCFXG

He sounds to me like a typical Ground contractor. Like the others he was greedy and wanted it all for himself but failed to realize that by doing so he allowed himself to be completely and totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company in exchange for some more routes of dubious profitability. Routes that were to be manned by people to whom he couldn't pay enough to make them accountable to him or to allow himself the right to be dependent on them. He simply got what he asked for. He is indeed a POS. and despite the fact that he operates in the largest city in America word of a bad employer gets around quickly and soon he won't be able to get anybody to work for him.

Yeah.. I am far from a typical POS contractor. I turn more drivers/helpers away than I hire on a regular basis. I have managed to keep the same managers working for me for the entire time I have had the need for the position. I have had the same core of 8 or so drivers for the last 2 years. It is the other 4 or 5 that get rotated in and out. The people who come to work in this business have absolutely no chance of making what I pay them anywhere else. March of 2016, I offered my entire staff the opportunity to gain health benefits. 4 out of 20 wanted them. The rest wanted the money. I may hate the business I am in, along with the business I am contracted with. But, I recognize my place and have always done right by those who have been willing to do right by me. However, the environment and school of thought is that I need my employees more than they need me. Which, I have proven time and time again that it is simply untrue.

I pay sick days. I pay hourly wages. I maintain my routes so that they don't allow much in the way of overtime. I maintain my fleet and purchase new trucks regularly. So, your assessment based on my jaded opinion of this gentleman's loss shows you are equally jaded when it comes to contractors.

bacha29

Yeah.. I am far from a typical POS contractor. I turn more drivers/helpers away than I hire on a regular basis. I have managed to keep the same managers working for me for the entire time I have had the need for the position. I have had the same core of 8 or so drivers for the last 2 years. It is the other 4 or 5 that get rotated in and out. The people who come to work in this business have absolutely no chance of making what I pay them anywhere else. March of 2016, I offered my entire staff the opportunity to gain health benefits. 4 out of 20 wanted them. The rest wanted the money. I may hate the business I am in, along with the business I am contracted with. But, I recognize my place and have always done right by those who have been willing to do right by me. However, the environment and school of thought is that I need my employees more than they need me. Which, I have proven time and time again that it is simply untrue.

I pay sick days. I pay hourly wages. I maintain my routes so that they don't allow much in the way of overtime. I maintain my fleet and purchase new trucks regularly. So, your assessment based on my jaded opinion of this gentleman's loss shows you are equally jaded when it comes to contractors.
If you hate it so bad then why in the hell did you get in it in the first place? I was one of the 4 Day 1 contractors who started up the station I operated out of. Each one of us had numerous chances to go multi route but all 4 of us turned it down. Why? First there was not enough money in it versus the risk and the headaches.Second. A long since retired contractor relations manager took me aside where no one could hear and said..."Let me tell you something. This company does not consider the operating agreement to be binding upon itself in any fashion". Third. Command and control.Take a look at the everyday terms under which you operate. This is when you start. This is when you stop.This is what you'll drive This is what you'll wear. This is where you go This is how you'll do it etc etc. Granted you might be permitted to make a few minor adjustments here and there but no matter how many routes you have now these same restrictive specifications, dictates and controls still exist and the more routes you put on the more stringent those dictates become as compared to the earlier years when you only had one route and as a result they couldn't cuff you around and slap you around because you could quit on the spot because you basically nothing to lose. Like the old saying goes. " Be careful what you wish for ...you might get it".

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Then what are we to make of the sad sacks of crap willing to work for said POS? Victims of capitalism? Of their own lack of self-worth? We are, for all practical purposes, at full employment in this country. Supposedly things should be getting better through competition for workers. I certainly don't see that happening so when is MAGA going to kick in?

It's in full effect. Express is still having turnover issues even with a better structure of compensation. In this area, the caliber of Express applicants pales in comparison to who they were getting 3 and 4 years ago. Ditto for other industries here and you have plenty of options if you have a decent resumé. Hell, I plan on leaving the company at the end of the month. Too many options to ignore.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's in full effect. Express is still having turnover issues even with a better structure of compensation. In this area, the caliber of Express applicants pales in comparison to who they were getting 3 and 4 years ago. Ditto for other industries here and you have plenty of options if you have a decent resumé. Hell, I plan on leaving the company at the end of the month. Too many options to ignore.
Good luck!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

So, how much you paying

NYCFXG

If you hate it so bad then why in the hell did you get in it in the first place? I was one of the 4 Day 1 contractors who started up the station I operated out of. Each one of us had numerous chances to go multi route but all 4 of us turned it down. Why? First there was not enough money in it versus the risk and the headaches.Second. A long since retired contractor relations manager took me aside where no one could hear and said..."Let me tell you something. This company does not consider the operating agreement to be binding upon itself in any fashion". Third. Command and control.Take a look at the everyday terms under which you operate. This is when you start. This is when you stop.This is what you'll drive This is what you'll wear. This is where you go This is how you'll do it etc etc. Granted you might be permitted to make a few minor adjustments here and there but no matter how many routes you have now these same restrictive specifications, dictates and controls still exist and the more routes you put on the more stringent those dictates become as compared to the earlier years when you only had one route and as a result they couldn't cuff you around and slap you around because you could quit on the spot because you basically nothing to lose. Like the old saying goes. " Be careful what you wish for ...you might get it".

Maybe it was sheer luck.. or maybe it was hard work. But I will be out of this business for a hefty profit along with the money I have made during the last few years in business. I know it isn't the same for everyone. I would never recommend it to anyone. But, that won't stop me from selling my business to someone else who is willing to chase the dream.

bbsam

Staff member
That's my point. Why doesn't X pick up on that and pay better to get and retain high caliber people?

It will be fine

Think about that for a second:

Should there really be a policy in place protecting employees who can’t bother to call in to let them know that they are either running late or that they will not be in at all?
I consider 1 no call no show as job abandonment and a voluntary resignation. Unless you have some type of medical emergency and are physically unable to send at least a text message, you're gone.

NYCFXG

I consider 1 no call no show as job abandonment and a voluntary resignation. Unless you have some type of medical emergency and are physically unable to send at least a text message, you're gone.

Every employee is warned when they start with me. I will be pissed off if you wait til the last minute to call out but your job will be safe. But if you simply don't call, you've quit.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I seriously doubt that any of them think that they are paying well but instead think that they are paying just enough to retain their current employees, attract new ones and still turn a profit.

Bingo. The main goal is to address turnover and they're now doing a better job at retaining employees. Not a good one, but a better one. They are satisfied with their new hires.

vantexan

I seriously doubt that any of them think that they are paying well but instead think that they are paying just enough to retain their current employees, attract new ones and still turn a profit.
Their philosophy is to pay the absolute least they can to maximize profit, not just eke out a profit.