No call no show

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Yeah, but I do get to see how others handle stuff like a death in the family. So I don't mind input from the other side.

PS, Dave, that's a crappy thing u had to take a selfie to prove u were there... a copy of the death certificate would have been enough.
No way in hell I would ever take a selfie at a funeral. Fire me. I'll sue you so fast your head would spin.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
This is not an Express, Ground or UPS exclusive issue. I see issues like this throughout the workforce.

IMO, it is incumbent upon the hourly to inform his/her mgt team in a timely manner if they expect to be out of work for an extended period of time due to a personal or family tragedy.

The OP knew full well that he wasn't going to be able to work both Friday and Saturday-----would it have been that hard to pick up the phone on either Wednesday or Thursday to give his mgt team a heads up so that they could plan accordingly?

There is also the school of thought that says getting right back in to your regular routine helps you take your mind off of what just happened.

My son had a very close friend commit suicide during the Junior Prom. He had a fight with his date, walked to his grandfather's house, loaded his shot gun and pointed it at his stomach. My son was devastated, and rightfully so. My ex and I tried really hard to give him his space but after two weeks of "grieving" we both agreed that it was time for him to get back in to his routine so I called him early Sunday morning to tell him that I would be picking him up in time for his noon shift at McDonald's. He was :censored2: but on the ride home after his shift was over he thanked me for "forcing" him to start living his life again.
Now I understand! This was another opportunity for your 'kardashian' moment to turn the conversation to YOU.
The OP notified management within the time frame defined by FedEx policy. He also stated that he was "drafted" for Saturday, which means it was not a regularly scheduled day. It is common to be drafted for Saturday on Friday afternoon.
Like I said earlier, your nose doesn't belong here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah, just because they're covering the bases.

but I do get to see how others handle stuff like a death in the family. So I don't mind input from the other side. OP case is not a no call, though..

PS, Dave, that's a crappy thing u had to take a selfie to prove u were there... a copy of the death certificate would have been enough.
Yeah, just because they're covering the bases.

but I do get to see how others handle stuff like a death in the family. So I don't mind input from the other side. OP case is not a no call, though..

You need to fine tune your BS meter------I made that whole story up. :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Now I understand! This was another opportunity for your 'kardashian' moment to turn the conversation to YOU.
The OP notified management within the time frame defined by FedEx policy. He also stated that he was "drafted" for Saturday, which means it was not a regularly scheduled day. It is common to be drafted for Saturday on Friday afternoon.
Like I said earlier, your nose doesn't belong here.

So he was absent on Friday due to a death in the family and was then drafted to work on the following day?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
You need to fine tune your BS meter------I made that whole story up. :)
Oops, I usually do this: #sarcasm

The only BS I deal with is my local management thinking about giving me stops that belongs to my 2 neighboring routes.

Google maps or whatever system they're using is still not 100% accurate

OrioN

I never take personal days and still have all of my sick days, haven’t even taken vacation this year

Man, use your paid days, that's what they are there for... LoL, coming from a HD driver with no real bennies, but I know how to make lemonade

bacha29

Bro, someone's family member died and this is your response. You are one POS!
He sounds to me like a typical Ground contractor. Like the others he was greedy and wanted it all for himself but failed to realize that by doing so he allowed himself to be completely and totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company in exchange for some more routes of dubious profitability. Routes that were to be manned by people to whom he couldn't pay enough to make them accountable to him or to allow himself the right to be dependent on them. He simply got what he asked for. He is indeed a POS. and despite the fact that he operates in the largest city in America word of a bad employer gets around quickly and soon he won't be able to get anybody to work for him.

OrioN

Meh, it is what it is on a subcontractor based bidness.

If FedEx Ground isn't giving enough to help provide proficient workers for their given areas & have some profit for the subcontractor to micromanage the operations that really should be the company's responsibility, it's time to sell

I'm kinda lucky to get my raise, or else they would have split my route into 2, making this area a loss for the investor class (they are 75% of the whole terminal~ only 2 CSPs/iSPs are independent from the class)

bbsam

Staff member
He is indeed a POS.

Then what are we to make of the sad sacks of crap willing to work for said POS? Victims of capitalism? Of their own lack of self-worth? We are, for all practical purposes, at full employment in this country. Supposedly things should be getting better through competition for workers. I certainly don't see that happening so when is MAGA going to kick in?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then what are we to make of the sad sacks of crap willing to work for said POS? Victims of capitalism? Of their own lack of self-worth? We are, for all practical purposes, at full employment in this country. Supposedly things should be getting better through competition for workers. I certainly don't see that happening so when is MAGA going to kick in?

Limited options?

bacha29

It's called the contractor trap. X wants people out in the public who are to be perceived as professionals, behave as professionals project the company ,it's image and themselves as professionals but is only willing to give the contractors enough money to pay slightly above minimum wage and zero benefits. This in turn reduces the contractor to have to recruit people from labor pools often the socioeconomic underclass pool, pools X wouldn't draw from themselves yet countless times people from such pools are rejected by X as not being "their kind" despite the fact that they're the best the contractor can get for the money he's given to work with.
Today with an average of 12,000 boomers marching off into retirement every day where will contractors find the kind of people X considers "their kind"? yes, you might be able to get a handful to postpone retirement or be willing to work limited hours and limited work load but even they in time will no longer be willing to be tied to this damn thing like a dog out in the yard

Oldfart

If that were accurate, then Old Fart would be a respected source.
I have seen more than 99.9% on here. You just hate a person who deals in facts, keeps their nose out of other people's business and actually likes their job. Those are 3 virtues you know nothing about.

Oldfart

In some ways, he is.

I don’t like the way that he disrespects @Operational needs.
She likes to dish it out, she just can't take it. Nothing personal. If you can't take criticism, you shouldn't criticize others.

I get bashed plenty and I take it and give it back. Op Needs and others bad mouth me then talk about me bad mouthing others. Total hypocrites and double standards.

Last edited:

vantexan

She likes to dish it out, she just can't take it. Nothing personal. If you can't take criticism, you shouldn't criticize others.

I get bashed plenty and I take it and give it back. Op Needs and others bad mouth me then talk about me bad mouthing others. Total hypocrites and double standards.
:tinfoilhatsmile:

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Still not sure why he cares. My theory is if it doesn't concern me, I don't worry about it. I guess some people on here worry about UPS employee problems and maybe even find a USPS forum to get involved with. To each his own.
"If it doesn't concern me, I don't worry about it" yet here you are. Making posts on an internet forum.

Oldfart

You can't use a paid day on Saturday if it isn't a normal work day.
Not really. We have had managers let us throw a paid day off on a Saturday at the end of the fiscal year if we were short of open days that late in the year. We even break down days off into 2 hr increments if we want the pay instead of the time off. Just throw 2 hrs on 4 different days and get easy OT.