No call no show

I recently had to burry a family member and I was drafted to work on a Saturday called my boss an hour and a half before my shift and again an hour before my shift left a voicemail because he didn’t answer either times. He’s calling it a “no call, no show” and saying there will be disciplinary actions. Any idea what those would be? First offense so I’m guessing a warning letter...

McFeely

Huge Member
I would dispute any disciplinary actions if you have proof (recent calls on your smart phone, call log from your provider if you have to pull it) to show that you did in fact call 2x before your shift.

I would be livid if my manager tried to threaten me with a letter after trying to call him 2 repeatedly.

Oldfart

Did you not try calling the station? Talk to another manager?

You did right by leaving a voicemail but calling the station might have eliminated any doubt.

Purplepackage

I recently had to burry a family member and I was drafted to work on a Saturday called my boss an hour and a half before my shift and again an hour before my shift left a voicemail because he didn’t answer either times. He’s calling it a “no call, no show” and saying there will be disciplinary actions. Any idea what those would be? First offense so I’m guessing a warning letter...

You need to pull your phone records and take a picture of your call logs. Don't let them walk on you like that.

Also next time he doesn't answer just send him a text and take a picture of the text and time stamp

Express Courier

If you have the call records that manager has no chance. I would even call HR and blow his :censored2: up over this. You had to bury a family member and he's trying to give you a letter? OH HELL NAW

Did you not try calling the station? Talk to another manager?

You did right by leaving a voicemail but calling the station might have eliminated any doubt.
No one answers the station phone until we are open for customer service. It wouldn’t have been answered, I’m at a smaller station in a mountain town. I took screenshots of the call logs and I’ll make sure to have them as evidence

I’ll show him my phone records and if he tries to punish me for it in anyway I’m going to tell him it’s not my fault he didn’t answer his phone. Per Fedex policy if I take a personal day on a Friday I’m automatically excused for a Saturday but according to him it wasn’t “preapproved”

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When my father (not my Dad) passed away our business manager told me that he needed to see a selfie of me next to the open casket before he would pay me for the time off.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Per Fedex policy if I take a personal day on a Friday I’m automatically excused for a Saturday but according to him it wasn’t “preapproved”

Which day did you miss, and when did you call in?

Which day did you miss, and when did you call in?
I took yesterday and today, today I called in to verify that I wasn’t going to be there today because we were still in a grieving process from burring him yesterday. He told me today had to be preapproved but I’ve been told if you take a personal day on a Friday you don’t need to work Saturday. Even then it should’ve been a no brainer that I wasn’t going to come. But he didn’t answer his phone twice this morning so I left a voicemail he then called me 5 minutes after my shift started asking where I was saying he never got a call or a voicemail email and today would be a no call no show with disciplinary action

NYCFXG

I get a ton of :censored2:ty excuses every week. I am not an :censored2: to question someone who calls out 2 to 3 Mondays a month. I am sorry for your loss, however, preparations for burials are normally done before the wake is even held. Had to know well in advance of an hour and a half before shift start. Unless you were notified the an hour and a half before shift and tried to immediately contact your manager to let them know about your situation.

There is nothing I hate more than when a guy calls me 30 mins after he was supposed to be at work to tell me some bull:censored2: excuse like, "I forgot I have a court date, doc appt, dentist appt, etc." Best part about hourly is it cut the "have to leave early for _____" by 75% when they realized they weren't going to get a full days pay if they left early. Miraculously people started scheduling their appointments differently.

Nolimitz

I called my Manager last June on a Sunday evening telling him my mom was in heart failure and I was leaving for NY state in 2 hours
response was: hoping for the best see you when you get back.

Mom passed before I got home. took the whole week off with 3 days of bereavement leave. Station sent flowers to my wife on Mon

I would climb up this A-holes back side with a sharp knife

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
nothing bring in the obituary, you get funeral leave if it is an immediate family member

I get a ton of :censored2:ty excuses every week. I am not an :censored2: to question someone who calls out 2 to 3 Mondays a month. I am sorry for your loss, however, preparations for burials are normally done before the wake is even held. Had to know well in advance of an hour and a half before shift start. Unless you were notified the an hour and a half before shift and tried to immediately contact your manager to let them know about your situation.

There is nothing I hate more than when a guy calls me 30 mins after he was supposed to be at work to tell me some bull:censored2: excuse like, "I forgot I have a court date, doc appt, dentist appt, etc." Best part about hourly is it cut the "have to leave early for _____" by 75% when they realized they weren't going to get a full days pay if they left early. Miraculously people started scheduling their appointments differently.
We buried him yesterday I took today for grieving I got no rest last night up all night with family members and I’m still very sad. I’m not in the right state of mind to work, Fedex is all about safety and tells us it’s our discretion if we are able to work based on anger/sadness and so on. It would’ve been a bad idea for me to go to work after losing such a big part of my life. I called him exactly an hour and 40 min before the start of my shift and again about an hour before no answer either time and he has a habit of not answering his phone. I never take personal days and still have all of my sick days, haven’t even taken vacation this year.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I took yesterday and today, today I called in to verify that I wasn’t going to be there today because we were still in a grieving process from burring him yesterday. He told me today had to be preapproved but I’ve been told if you take a personal day on a Friday you don’t need to work Saturday. Even then it should’ve been a no brainer that I wasn’t going to come. But he didn’t answer his phone twice this morning so I left a voicemail he then called me 5 minutes after my shift started asking where I was saying he never got a call or a voicemail email and today would be a no call no show with disciplinary action

If you called today for a shift today, it's not a no-call/no-show. If he's dumb enough to discipline you, well, he's a fool, you'll win the GFT easily. He'll get reamed up one side and down the other by HR and the senior manager for ignoring your calls and for doing so under your specific circumstances (death in the family). You called him twice and can prove it. That's all you need if he issues discipline. Don't go into trying to argue policy or anything like that. Just state the facts of your situation: you had a death in the family, you called out Friday (or whatever you did), and you called twice Saturday to tell him you'd be out and got no answer.

!Retired!

Sorry for your loss. Don't let it get under your skin. Go about your business and deal with it Monday. He's an ass and will get reamed, if he takes it further.

MAKAVELI

Bro, someone's family member died and this is your response. You are one POS!