Nys teamsters pension & retirement fund

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Suppose it were GM or Boeing or Carrier—would you be so ambivalent?
The government already bailed out those companies, GM being the most parallel, Dave, and subsequently/coincidentally it's pension.
U.S. government says it lost $11.2 billion on GM bailout
Did you forget that and how does it not set a precedent?

There was nothing "ambivalent" about the notion of the government bailing out a private pension fund, like Central States, that was forced into a consent decree that provided for government oversight of a fund that subsequently tanked.

How can you assert that the government has no culpability while they had their hand in it???

Do you really believe half of what you post?
Is it ignorance, or are you just trolling counterpoints for your own cyber-amusement.

Last edited:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
The most disturbing thing to me, is this fear climbs the seniority list every day. I noticed it about 15 years ago in package car. A small number of drivers would get intimidated when they got called into the office to answer for numbers. 5 years later, I would guess about 20-25% of the drivers walked around with their tales between their legs. When I left package car almost 7 years ago, it was nearly half of the drivers in the center who were candy-asses.

I would give some of our local union officials partial blame by not having more face time in the center. We had good stewards, but the new guys had to approach them, unless they were being written up. A lot of us drivers tried to counsel the new guys how things worked, and how to stand up for themselves, but most of the blame rests on the shoulders of those drivers. They just didn't seem to have the stones to stand up for themselves, and as such, did whatever management told them to do. And, of course, they would get angry when they had to relieve us, when we did stand up. You'd think they would have noticed how things worked.

Now, those drivers are making their way to feeders, bringing their weak ways with them. Same story, get called into the office about on-property times, turn around times, being late to sorts; so what do they do? They start work before their start time, neglect to pre-trip their equipment, drive over the speed limit on the road and drive spotters around the yard like someone is chasing them.

We have a pretty strong union presence in our three buildings, so we explain to these drivers how things are done, and why. But we have some pretty ignorant, hard heads who just can't seem to get with the program. You just can't talk to some of these geniuses. Some guys can't see the big picture, that if they crash, they could easily kill themselves or others, and in the process, lose their job. And for what?

Perfect example: a few weeks ago, a was covering a mileage run where my meet driver was an hourly. The guy I was covering for is a high seniority guy, who himself is an idiot. Good guy, but he starts before his start time, he doesn't stop to do a safety check, or pee and runs hammer down for 300 miles, one way. Anyway, I run it normal, do a normal pre-trip, stop twice on the way out and run the speed limit. Well, I get to the meet point a few minutes before midnight, and the hourly meet guy is already there. Before I even get my trailers dropped, the guy has driven his tractor to me, and is revving his motor as I'm outside cranking my trailer legs down. I disconnect, and drive over to the trailers he brought and hook up. As I'm pre-tripping the trailers he brought, he walks over to me and I have an interesting conversation with an irritated driver.

Him: Hey, I've been hear since 11PM.
Me: Yeah?
Him: Well, the regular guy gets here around 11 too.
Me: Yeah, he starts before his start time and takes a lot of shortcuts. I do the job the right way, I never work off the clock and I'm not starting now.
Him: So is this the time you're going to get here all week?
Me: Yeah, if everything goes right.
Him: Well, Bill helps me out, because (very irritated now) I've got :censored2: to do!!
Me: I do to, it's called my job.

And with that, he storms off. Now I'm not a real confrontational kind of guy, but I don't take BS from management, and I'm not going to take it from some hot head, burner, either. Needless to say, I that night was the earliest I got there all week, and he never said another word the rest of the week.

Long story, I know, but the point is this place is filling up with people that do these jobs haphazardly, either out of fear or sheer stupidity.
You do realize that very few of your voting teamsters care if your pension goes away..

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
That’s life—-we accept that but also understand that we don’t care if you have a pension waiting for you when you retire.
More like a different life and one that is hard to accept .
When active in my local , several Union meetings in my 30 years , addressed cuts in different areas that were going to effect those already retired . Every time and no matter the issue , those working did what ever was necessary to insure the retires in our local did not lose a penny of their benefits . We never even voted . It was a given that those of us working would take the hit .
Yeah , a new generation is on the scene . You are right Hellfire , care certainly has shifted to ME.

542thruNthru

More like a different life and one that is hard to accept .
When active in my local , several Union meetings in my 30 years , addressed cuts in different areas that were going to effect those already retired . Every time and no matter the issue , those working did what ever was necessary to insure the retires in our local did not lose a penny of their benefits . We never even voted . It was a given that those of us working would take the hit .
Yeah , a new generation is on the scene . You are right Hellfire , care certainly has shifted to ME.

Not trying to start something and this is just a thought. Could it be this generation would rather control their own retirement destiny by not diverting raises to a failing pension and put it in their 401k?

I mean its obvious some of these pensions are going down. Would you want to throw your money into a failing system to never see it again?

I want to save these pensions also but I just don't see how teamster members are going to be able to do it.

BrownFlush

Not trying to start something and this is just a thought. Could it be this generation would rather control their own retirement destiny by not diverting raises to a failing pension and put it in their 401k?

I mean its obvious some of these pensions are going down. Would you want to throw your money into a failing system to never see it again?

I want to save these pensions also but I just don't see how teamster members are going to be able to do it.
Have at it . " Your destiny " is exactly what they want you to do . After you become independent of the union for a pension , your health insurance will be the next independent thing you will be taking care of yourself. Won't happen? Think again , the writing is on the wall.
So tomorrow you are Mr. 401k and Obamacare . You are nothing more than a FedX contractor . Being independent has its advantages . You can bounce around from job to job all your life and still have the same retirement and health plan but , just a little uncertainty as to how much you will have going into retirement and going out for insurance.
Do you really think " your money " negotiated for your 401k will be on the same level as it has been for your pension . Good luck with that .
If it is so obvious pensions are failing , the rank in file should grow a pair and do the battle and get language written to get them all back in the green and quit bending over and eatin' everything UPS is feeding you.
We went on strike so the company would not control the pension . Anytime you give the company control of anything , you lose . It appears they have won the biggest prize though , they are controlling you .

542thruNthru

Have at it . " Your destiny " is exactly what they want you to do . After you become independent of the union for a pension , your health insurance will be the next independent thing you will be taking care of yourself. Won't happen? Think again , the writing is on the wall.
So tomorrow you are Mr. 401k and Obamacare . You are nothing more than a FedX contractor . Being independent has its advantages . You can bounce around from job to job all your life and still have the same retirement and health plan but , just a little uncertainty as to how much you will have going into retirement and going out for insurance.
Do you really think " your money " negotiated for your 401k will be on the same level as it has been for your pension . Good luck with that .
If it is so obvious pensions are failing , the rank in file should grow a pair and do the battle and get language written to get them all back in the green and quit bending over and eatin' everything UPS is feeding you.
We went on strike so the company would not control the pension . Anytime you give the company control of anything , you lose . It appears they have won the biggest prize though , they are controlling you .

Ok settle down champ. No where did I say that's what I wanted. Stop trying to fight someone that's on your side.

Now please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the pension wasn't exclusive to just UPS employees. I believe UPS is the biggest contributor but how are we (ups teamsters) supposed to pick up the slack for all the other failed company's that still have employees collecting from this pension?

I would love to save the pension and unlike most in my local I'd be willing to help central states but why is it that UPS teamsters are looked at as the ones that need to give up everything to save it?

Again as some of you know my knowledge of the pension is limited so forgive me if I'm totally off base on this.

BrownFlush

Ok settle down champ. No where did I say that's what I wanted. Stop trying to fight someone that's on your side.

Now please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the pension wasn't exclusive to just UPS employees. I believe UPS is the biggest contributor but how are we (ups teamsters) supposed to pick up the slack for all the other failed company's that still have employees collecting from this pension?

I would love to save the pension and unlike most in my local I'd be willing to help central states but why is it that UPS teamsters are looked at as the ones that need to give up everything to save it?

Again as some of you know my knowledge of the pension is limited so forgive me if I'm totally off base on this.
The mild rebuke made me smile .
" Could it be this generation would rather control their own retirement destiny by not diverting raises to a failing pension " ..." throw your money into a failing system .. " sounds real close to you leaning that way even though they were " just a thought ."
No pickin' a fight here . I assure you . I have the ability to disagree with someone without drawing swords .

542thruNthru

The mild rebuke made me smile .
" Could it be this generation would rather control their own retirement destiny by not diverting raises to a failing pension " ..." throw your money into a failing system .. " sounds real close to you leaning that way even though they were " just a thought ."
No pickin' a fight here . I assure you . I have the ability to disagree with someone without drawing swords .

The main reason I wrote that was because it's what I'm hearing in the West. Wanted to get a opinion on it. I guess the "They are controlling you." Line just put me on edge. ;)

I would like your opinion on everything else I wrote after that also.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yes, that contract was one of the best that we have ever received.

That's debatable.

Average wage, health & welfare, and pension increases. Modest improvement in contract

language.... it was more of a moral victory, watching the company capitulate.

Hoffa had nothing to do with the demise of our pension fund.

I laugh when people accuse Hoffa of this.

He's not a trustee on any of the funds, nor can he manipulate the stock market. There are

something like 142 pension funds in the USA that are in declining or critical status.

It's pretty simple math. When you have more members withdrawing than contributing....

you'll need a heck of a return on your investments, to cover the difference.

It was hard for me to understand the amount your plan was paying out, when Central

States wasn't paying out 3/5 of that and sinking.

-Bug-

What'dyabringmetoday???

That's debatable.

Average wage, health & welfare, and pension increases. Modest improvement in contract

language.... it was more of a moral victory, watching the company capitulate.

I laugh when people accuse Hoffa of this.

He's not a trustee on any of the funds, nor can he manipulate the stock market. There are

something like 142 pension funds in the USA that are in declining or critical status.

It's pretty simple math. When you have more members withdrawing than contributing....

you'll need a heck of a return on your investments, to cover the difference.

It was hard for me to understand the amount your plan was paying out, when Central

States wasn't paying out 3/5 of that and sinking.

-Bug-
It would seem that the members "withdrawing" must have had money contributed somewhere along the way. I am sure flying to Florida for meetings involving a New York fund is an excellent way to reduce waste.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It would seem that the members "withdrawing" must have had money contributed somewhere along the way.

How would they be members of the fund, if they didn't ?

I am sure flying to Florida for meetings involving a New York fund is an excellent way to reduce waste.

I don't know if they did, or didn't.

Are the price of a couple plane tickets and accommodations.... going to balance it out ?

Don't be ridiculous.

-Bug-

What'dyabringmetoday???

How would they be members of the fund, if they didn't ?

I don't know if they did, or didn't.

Are the price of a couple plane tickets and accommodations.... going to balance it out ?

Don't be ridiculous.

-Bug-
Point is, that is one small example of how the trustees waste money. Good chance it is wasted many other ways- or "missing". Of course, if the Big Union Tough Talker doesn't say so then it doesn't happen. I am willing to bet that there are a few people here that think that YOU can be ridiculous.