Nys teamsters pension & retirement fund

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Stewards are human, with good and bad traits. Most are elected by their peers. If they're bad, replace them but not filing and not voting isn't going to make them better.

You can tell yourself that it's the steward or BA's fault that many don't file but my experience is most don't file cause they don't want the target on their back. I'm just glad we have some willing to stand up for others.

Mr. Marshall

Never shop at Walmart, never buy Hostess products, Yuengling beer will never exist in my fridge. I don't support these and other anti Union companies. We definitely agree with changing the bankruptcy law regarding pensions and treating us as equal creditors.
So you don't shop at Target either or use Amazon? It's impossible to avoid anti-union companies.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Where I am at, it is not that members are afraid of management- they are accustomed to the BA (bologna artist) deeming the overwhelming share of grievances to be of no merit. Of course, he was a casual that came in early, worked for free, skipped lunch etc. I'll save the drawn out saga of how he became BA for another day.

Hearing stories like this, irk me.... to my core.

That's not the way it should be.

Bug, most people that get hired at UPS are just normal, unassuming folks that just need a paycheck. They didn't come there to be "leaders". They (most) surely didn't know the war zone they just enlisted into so there's a transition period from new hire to victim. From that point they either stay the victim or they rise up and fight for their rights because sooner or later their rights are violated.
There's only a few leaders in life. One shepherd, many sheep. It never changes, so figure out what you are and be it. Don't pretend you're a shepherd when you're a sheep because when the wolf shows up and you run then everyone will see you for who you really are.
Frustrating as it is there are very few people stepping up to be stewards, especially if they aren't paid and/or their dues aren't exempted. Unfortunately, it may be the litmus test for the future of unions.

Solid observation. No argument here.

I think it's actually fluoride?

There is a case for that.

Do you drink tap water?

Only.... if I have to.

-Bug-

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Stewards are human, with good and bad traits. Most are elected by their peers. If they're bad, replace them but not filing and not voting isn't going to make them better.

You can tell yourself that it's the steward or BA's fault that many don't file but my experience is most don't file cause they don't want the target on their back. I'm just glad we have some willing to stand up for others.
And there is the feedback loop. One can say, most don't file because of being made a "target" - however, with good representation, there would be no hesitation filing because there would be no past examples made, for filing, and being targeted. So which is it, the chicken or egg, really?

I've seen as many stewards come and go, as I've seen FT supervisors. Something tells me that, for many reps, conscience gets in the way of doing the job the past practice , "wrong way".

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
And there is the feedback loop. One can say, most don't file because of being made a "target" - however, with good representation, there would be no hesitation filing because there would be no past examples made, for filing, and being targeted. So which is it, the chicken or egg, really?

I've seen as many stewards come and go, as I've seen FT supervisors. Something tells me that, for many reps, conscience gets in the way of doing the job the past practice , "wrong way".

What is stopping you.... from running for office or Union Steward ?

Chicken ?

Or, just an egg ?

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What is stopping you.... from running for office or Union Steward ?

Chicken ?

Or, just an egg ?

-Bug-
Why is this always your stock answer, when someone questions the status quo?

Do you really think everyone who contemplates the status quo should "throw their hat in the ring",......

.......really???

Is it not possible for a member to question, enact, or shun the grievance/union process while understanding their own personal limitations?
Does that makes them cowardly or realistic?

What a convoluted ballot it would be if your assertion ever came to fruition.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to try and build these people up, rather than goad and belittle them?

~Bbbl~™

Inthegame

Hmmm...don't know. Never considered whether my reps were good or bad, and I never hesitated if I saw wrongdoing. But maybe that's why I didn't mind being a steward and wearing the target. Can't speak for you.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Why is this always your stock answer, when someone questions the status quo?

Challenging the status quo, of members who scrutinize every detail without

ever performing the job ? That's not a put-down. It's reality.

Do you really think everyone who contemplates the status quo should "throw their hat in the ring", really?

Nope.

Reason being, some people over-estimate their abilities.

(but yet, want to debate you about it.... every chance they get) :biggrin:

Wouldn't it be more constructive to try and build these people up, rather than goad and belittle them?

Belittle them ? That's not my intent.

Goad them (the TDU pukes) into running.... Absolutely.

Time and money, is all it takes to win a Local Union election.

-Bug-

A

Article 3

Challenging the status quo, of members who scrutinize every detail without

ever performing the job ? That's not a put-down. It's reality.

Nope.

Reason being, some people over-estimate their abilities.

(but yet, want to debate you about it.... every chance they get) :biggrin:

Belittle them ? That's not my intent.

Goad them (the TDU pukes) into running.... Absolutely.

Time and money, is all it takes to win a Local Union election.

-Bug-
Elections can be bought?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Elections can be bought?

No. What I meant was;

Taking the time to campaign, and forking up the money to do it.

You can't win a Local election by standing at the gate handing out fliers

that were printed on your home computer.

We do hats, shirts, pens, buttons, signs, cookouts, home mailers.... etc.

All paid for by the slate members running for office. A $30,000 budget

is a good starting point. We even rented a motor home for 3 months, to

travel to various Barns (companies) and campaign for days at a time.

In the final weeks, we did 24/7.

Ragtag TDU people (in my Local) could never keep up.

They weren't committed to the investment of time or money.

Trying to run down your competition with mere words, never works.

Members don't like the negativity.

So, there you go. My proven method of winning a Local Union election.

@Bubblehead.... that freebie is just for you. ;)

Time and money, is all it takes.

(with a positive message)

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No. What I meant was;

Taking the time to campaign, and forking up the money to do it.

You can't win a Local election by standing at the gate handing out fliers

that were printed on your home computer.

We do hats, shirts, pens, buttons, signs, cookouts, home mailers.... etc.

All paid for by the slate members running for office. A $30,000 budget

is a good starting point. We even rented a motor home for 3 months, to

travel to various Barns (companies) and campaign for days at a time.

In the final weeks, we did 24/7.

Ragtag TDU people (in my Local) could never keep up.

They weren't committed to the investment of time or money.

Trying to run down your competition with mere words, never works.

Members don't like the negativity.

So, there you go. My proven method of winning a Local Union election.

@Bubblehead.... that freebie is just for you. ;)

Time and money, is all it takes.

(with a positive message)

-Bug-
Been there, done that, but thanks.