Nys teamsters pension & retirement fund

Inthegame

Not a bad deal as long as the dues
Goes where it should go

If it doesent then its total B.S.
I agree but... even if your local took every dollar remitted to them from your dues and threw them in a sewer, you'd still be better off than without a union. Of course that doesn't happen. By law, local unions must get independent annual audits. The DOL, the IBT and the IRB (now IIO) also randomly audit the books of every Teamster local in the country. Every union must also report income and expenses to their membership at least quarterly.
How many for profit corporations do you suppose are under this type of scrutiny?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
15 yrs ago the government gave my local back the books. Ever since then, the print outs got worse each yr. Now we are half of the pension we were originally quoted. Retirees are worse. There has been a forensic study done. And sent to the treasury dept. Hoping they come back to take control of the local again.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
15 yrs ago the government gave my local back the books. Ever since then, the print outs got worse each yr. Now we are half of the pension we were originally quoted. Retirees are worse. There has been a forensic study done. And sent to the treasury dept. Hoping they come back to take control of the local again.

So, your Local was put in trusteeship by the IBT....

and your Local has it's own pension plan ?

-Bug-

Inthegame

4k. Was 5500 about 7 yrs ago. They will have to offer me a buy out now for me to leave. No incentive to leave now. They just throw money at me now
Well received the ballot. For a reduction of pension. I'm voting NO! 18% reduction. 576 dollars. Plus our last raise they took 35 cents of it. Even after they said they won't do that again. I'm really disgusted by the union. All they do is the same damn things that still don't work. Also, if the ballot isn't returned before Sept 7th. It will count as a yes vote.
Once again your numbers aren't adding up.
Be careful what you wish for. The Treasury dept rejected the CSPF rescue plan as being insufficient, in other words the proposed cuts weren't severe enough.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
18% of $4K is $720. 18% of $5,500 is $990. Something doesn't add up. I'd ask some more questions. Quick math tells me that the $576 is based on $3300 to $3400 at 18%. I'm not questioning you but would question the Fund.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Also, if the ballot isn't returned before Sept 7th. It will count as a yes vote.

After a little forensic investigation of my own.... that part is true.

By order of the Justice Department. I spoke directly with the fund.

Once again your numbers aren't adding up.
Be careful what you wish for. The Treasury dept rejected the CSPF rescue plan as being insufficient, in other words the proposed cuts weren't severe enough.

18% of $4K is $720. 18% of $5,500 is $990. Something doesn't add up. I'd ask some more questions. Quick math tells me that the $576 is based on $3300 to $3400 at 18%. I'm not questioning you but would question the Fund.

Maybe I'm getting confused by @3 done 3 to go posts.

To me, they seem kind of like a convoluted mishmash of different entities.

(his Local, the pension fund, the government)

-Bug-

A

Article 3

After a little forensic investigation of my own.... that part is true.

By order of the Justice Department. I spoke directly with the fund.

Maybe I'm getting confused by @3 done 3 to go posts.

To me, they seem kind of like a convoluted mishmash of different entities.

(his Local, the pension fund, the government)

-Bug-
I may be confused but probably not....

He is aggravated about his local first and it just goes down hill from there.

Not everyone has a BUG or @Inthegame as an officer in their local so you don't get it but others can absolutely relate.

Inthegame

Not everyone has a BUG or @Inthegame as an officer in their local so you don't get it but others can absolutely relate.
BUG and I aren't the ones not "getting it".
The problem is his frustration is misplaced and he doesn't see it.

First off, dues have nothing to do with pension benefits. He's throwing s%$# at the wall, and he's hitting the floor and ceiling.

Secondly, blaming his local union for the woes of a funding deficiency in a multi employer plan is like blaming his town board for the national debt. His local is a bit player that may (or most likely not) have a representative as a trustee of the fund. Even if his local has a trustee, they (the trustees) are forced to play the hands they're dealt. Nobody, especially anyone who stands for election every three years, WANTS to cut benefits.

His plan is plagued by the same stresses affecting many other plans, the lawful avenue participating employers take when they hide under bankruptcy to exit plans and not pay their withdrawal obligations. The plans however, prior to the 2014 MPRA, are still forced to continue full benefit payments to retirees even though future promised contributions (that actuaries figured in when determining benefit amounts) aren't coming in. The participating employers break their commitment, and the union gets the blame.

Hostess is a perfect example. They walked away from dozens of Teamster plans under bankruptcy and now are back as a profitable company, minus millions of dollars of obligations they owed their employees.

The local unions in the NYS plan are still making 100% of their obligatory contributions but once again receive the blame.

I wonder if 3 done eats Twinkies?

First off, dues have nothing to do with pension benefits. He's throwing s%$# at the wall, and he's hitting the floor and ceiling.

Secondly, blaming his local union for the woes of a funding deficiency in a multi employer plan is like blaming his town board for the national debt. His local is a bit player that may (or most likely not) have a representative as a trustee of the fund. Even if his local has a trustee, they (the trustees) are forced to play the hands they're dealt. Nobody, especially anyone who stands for election every three years, WANTS to cut benefits.

His plan is plagued by the same stresses affecting many other plans, the lawful avenue participating employers take when they hide under bankruptcy to exit plans and not pay their withdrawal obligations. The plans however, prior to the 2014 MPRA, are still forced to continue full benefit payments to retirees even though future promised contributions (that actuaries figured in when determining benefit amounts) aren't coming in. The participating employers break their commitment, and the union gets the blame.

Hostess is a perfect example. They walked away from dozens of Teamster plans under bankruptcy and now are back as a profitable company, minus millions of dollars of obligations they owed their employees.

The local unions in the NYS plan are still making 100% of their obligatory contributions but once again receive the blame.

Hostess can go to Hell. They screwed our plan over also. We need some laws passed for when these companies go bankrupt. Pay off pension obligations first, then the creditors.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I completely understand his aggravation. It bothers me that people feel that way

about their Local, and transfer those feelings toward the Union in general.

It was at only 6 months in (as a part-timer) that I filed my first grievance.

The veteran Steward thought I was a little cocky. When I handed him the grievance

papers, he looked at me and said "So, you think you know it all".

I said "nope".... but I'm going to learn.

Fortunately, I had some great mentors. People I still look up to.

Because UPS always "promoted from within" I felt there were people in

positions, they would never hold in another company. Knowing that, my goal was

to hold them accountable and represent the members.

I might have had a little extra going for me. An ethnical trait. ;)

Sisu - Wikipedia

-Bug-

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Hostess can go to Hell. They screwed our plan over also. We need some laws passed for when these companies go bankrupt. Pay off pension obligations first, then the creditors.

Never shop at Walmart, never buy Hostess products, Yuengling beer will never exist in my fridge. I don't support these and other anti Union companies. We definitely agree with changing the bankruptcy law regarding pensions and treating us as equal creditors.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

@Inthegame, has always used baseball metaphors in response to posts.

He hit it "out of the park".... with this one.

-Bug-

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
My local, I am disgusted with. They cut the pensions to 3200 minus the 18%. This is my actual pension now 2624. From original 5500. But all the people who no longer had their company either in business or stopped pension contributions got theirs. Plus 4 raises have been taken to save the pension. They didn't. Also our dues went up 3 dollars. They are just sucking every penny away. Also, the board gave them selves a raise this spring.

Right now I have nothing to strike for. Next contract will be concessions galore. All I have left is great health insurance. Wonder how long they will last now?

Hope UPS enjoys a very old driver. I will suck every penny I can from them.

The union is dead to me!
@Gumby would say. I'm flinging alright. Wait till the little coward BA shows up. He will leave not being able to hear.

A

Article 3

I completely understand his aggravation. It bothers me that people feel that way

about their Local, and transfer those feelings toward the Union in general.

It was at only 6 months in (as a part-timer) that I filed my first grievance.

The veteran Steward thought I was a little cocky. When I handed him the grievance

papers, he looked at me and said "So, you think you know it all".

I said "nope".... but I'm going to learn.

Fortunately, I had some great mentors. People I still look up to.

Because UPS always "promoted from within" I felt there were people in

positions, they would never hold in another company. Knowing that, my goal was

to hold them accountable and represent the members.

I might have had a little extra going for me. An ethnical trait. ;)

Sisu - Wikipedia

-Bug-
Did they have to chisel a tablet of stone as a grievance back then?